who is greg stafford? under whose authority does.he.work?

by friendaroonie 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Of course, you meant Heinz Schmitz. His site was hector3000-something.

It was the other way around with me. During/after '3D,' I began to dip into the 'forbidden' books that had been in hubby's collection for some years. I think Jonsson/Herbst's 'Sign' book - the chapter on Parousia - was the first thing I read - then the rest of the book, then all the other standard ones followed (Penton, COC, GTR1(!), ISoCF) and more.

• TD
    TD
    It was his last hurrah before leaving the Witnesses himself.

I did not know ole Heinz had left... Interesting

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Heinz was a made up name, Hector was his real name. He became inactive shortly after Three Dissertations, I don't think he ever disassociated. After reading about textual criticism, Bart Ehrman in particular, he lost faith in the reliability of the Bible text, is pretty agnostic these days. (From what I gather) He used to be the JW apologist with the biggest Internet presence In the early 2000s.

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

Hector did not lose his faith over Doctor Bart Ehrman, Heinz had other issues going on with his life. Dr. Bart Erhman's works were not new, Bruce Metzger crossed the same river Bart did fifty years ago without heading into the media spotlight claiming he found something new. The public is too stupid to read up on historical facts realizing Metzger (more liberial than Erhman) put everything out there decades before Bart did. Heinz also read up on Wallace's arguments too, something else lead Hector away from the Faithful Slave.

Greg never wanted to start a group of his own, Greg pushed for everyone to study the Bible themselves and think using their own brains. Hal Fleming and Heinz never had a chance trying to discredit Greg's "Three Dissertations", Hal Fleming is a bore and nothing more! He enjoy's blowing his own trumphet and loved to hear himself speak with great authority at the Kingdom Hall.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You may well know Hector better than I did.

But as far as Metzger is concerned, while he may have got more liberal as he got older, in general he was a fairly conservative scholar. He argued for the Pauline authorship of the pastoral epistles for example, not a view that m/any liberal scholars would promote.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Heinz was a made up name, Hector was his real name

Heinz is officially recognized as his name. It's short for Heinrich which is presumably his birth name.

• designs
    designs

Heinz kind of exploded in public on the evangelical-jw web site and theologes-dialogue. Greg was an interesting guy, nice family, we had them over for dinner. Once you pass through the obstacle of the Bible being inspired all the promotions of one particular set of theologies being orthodox or heterodox seems to diminish in importance.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Oh right I thought he picked it to match his German surname.

How did Heinz explode exactly?

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

@ AuntConnie

At the risk of derailing the topic, Bart Ehrman never claimed to be writing anything new and in fact stated repeatedly in his works that what he wrote has been mainstream scholarship for decades. It's absolutely true that Ehrman borrowed heavily from Bruce Metzger and other liberal scholars but for the most part he gives credit where it's due.

I think Ehrman should be given at least a little credit for popularizing the dry, dusty world of New Testament scholarship and bringing it to the attention of the "too stupid" public.

CyrusThePersian

• designs
    designs

SBF- It was on the evangelicals-jw website, Heinz flipped on the blood issue to the embarassment of the other JWs. This gave Rob Bowman and Barry Hoffstetter no end of ammunition against the jws and their other positions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit