Prayers, are you worthy to do them? [5/15/90 wt]

by sowhatnow 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donny
    donny

I came to the many of the same conclusions. After I left the JW's in 1992 I began visiting several "conventional" churches and I was especially interested in the subject of prayer. During my JW tenure, I did not see any evidence of God responding to such petitions.

I found the same in the other churches. Many of the prayers were generic and vague asking God for strength in helping to cope with an issue, or help in finding a job or heal an ailment. What I found was that it was a crap-shoot. The folks who prayed would wait a bit and then fit the conclusion to what they prayed for. If God acted positively then the answer was yes, if not then it was no.

I have heard many, many anecdotal stories regarding how God answered their requests, but I never saw anything divine in them. The vast majority could be explained as just random and flip of a coin, others had answers that could be explained by science or the fact that the person who prayed actually did something to ensure that something positive happened.

What was amusing is these results are found in every group or religion that prays. I could not find one instance where any belief system had a lock on the act of prayer.

I always chuckle when I hear the ad for "Christian Mingle.com" where the announcer says instead of waiting on God, he is waiting for you to act. In other words, you need to put forth effort to get a result. Sounds like the natural world to me.

Donny

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

No one has ever had a prayer answered in such a way that the answer could be clearly and unequivocally seen to come from a divine source.

Not once.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Donny/Nicolaou

The sky wizard doesn't exist so how/why did you expect it to answer your prayers?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    a watchera month agoApril 15, 2015 Study Watchtower: How Real is Your Relationship With Jehovah?
    Prayer---You Speak to Jehovah
    Excerpts: In prayer we draw close to Jehovah. We praise him, thank him, and seek his guidance. (Ps 32:8) But for your relationship with Jehovah to be real, you must be convinced that he is hearing your prayers.

As a JW, then as a Christian, I was totally convinced god would answer my prayers.....he still left me to rot. Either that or there is no god...or....I was praying to the wrong one.

When you are specific in your prayers, you become more keenly aware of Jehovah's answers, even though they may be subtle. Answered prayers will make Jehovah more real to you. In addition, the more you express your innermost concerns to Jehovah, the closer he will draw to you.

I was specific. As for saying his answers are 'subtle', that's just a cop out. We then look for co-incidences or try to crowbar stuff in as answers when the are clearly not. Answered prayers making Jehovah(tm) more real is a typical piece of propaganda. What about all the prayers that aren't answered? Does Jehovah(tm) then become unreal by his own choice?

I challenge anyone to pray to my boots....I guarantee you'll get the same co-incidental answers, which are: Yes. No, Get stuffed.

Get stuffed was god's favourite answer to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit