Do you blame your parents?

by sleepy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Folks,

I don't blame my mother. Her mother died when my mother was only five years old. At the funeral, here two JW aunts told her that she would see her mother in Paradise. My mother never forgot that. Many years later, my father was drafted into the army. While he was gone, these two aunts started a Bible study with my mother. So, my mother was vulnerable when her mother died and she was vulnerable as a young married woman knowing that her husband was at risk in the army. She became a zealous JW and I find no fault with her over doing this. The religion gave her some hope in an unpredictable world.

• lastcall
    lastcall

I don't blame them. That's not to say that I don't regret the choices they made at that time. Sometimes I feel I missed out on some things. Okay I DID miss out, but maybe I missed out on some bad things too. Who knows? Anyway I'm lucky (oops fortunate), no lucky damn it. Both my parents left it and were there for me when I finally wised up. Btw , this forum is great. Leaving the org can be very painful, it's nice to have some NORMAL bro's and sis'. Well mostly normal :)

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

interesting thread.

i think i would be really pissed at my parents if they raised me as a jw. but then again, i look at the way they did raise me and we went through a lot of shitty things together, but all in all they tried their very best and i suppose that if my mom had decided to become a jw when my uncle tried oh so hard to convert us that she really would have believed it was best for us. so would i blame her? no. would i be angry? yes, but not really for myself.. more for her and the fact that she would believe in such garbage.

let me dream inside you

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Great thread btw.

I blame the borg, for stealing my childhood from me...for almost stealing my children's tender years...and for the wasted years (and money) my mother and aged grandmother have invested into the greedy mind controlling cult that it is [>:(]

Beck

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

I don't blame my parents but after some very serious events with my family as of late with the org. my mother apologized to us for raising us this way. She is still in.

• teejay
    teejay

Very, very good question (and thread) Sleepy.

Over the years, it’s dawned on me that I *do* blame both of my parents and I’ve admitted this to at least two people (but not my parents).

My mother: for not thinking. For denying every one of her six children many of the everyday pleasures of life and the opportunities (academic, cultural, social, etc.) to make their adulthood all it can be.

My father: for walking out on his family, thereby reneging on his responsibilities and leaving all parenting duties to Mama who became a de facto dictator with not a single check or balance.

Btw, I’ve forgiven them both.

• TR
    TR

Ken,

The reason I quit was because I became tired of all the responsibilities I had that left me no time for my life. I later found out the untruth of the TRUTH.
    That was my experience, also.
    TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit