A question before bedtime

by radar 7 Replies latest jw friends

• radar
    radar

Is logic the way to God?

If not, then is the way illogical?

Bible says that the truth about the torture stake is foolishness to those who are going to perish.
    But is not childlike acceptance of religious ideas dangerous?

If the way to God is hidden from the wise and intellectual ones then
    why do some say that JWs have not found the way?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Why do we drive on a Parkway and Park on a drive way?

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Francois
    Francois

I'm not sure of the point of your question. But here is what I think you want responded to, comprised solely of my private opinions and nothing much more.

Jesus said that unless you became easy-believing, trusting, and childlike you could never enter the kingdom. "Suffer the little children..." And there IS a large difference between being childlike and being childish.

From what little I know of the Way, it does indeed seem illogical when you first look at it: If someone slaps you on the left cheek, turn to him the right one also; pray for your enemy and for those who despitefully use you; if a man demands your cloak, give him also your inner garment; if someone forces you to carry their pack a mile, then carry it again for him an additional mile. And why do all this? To prove that you are the son of your father who is in heaven. Even if it goes against all our training, our egos, and our logic.

Anyone agree with this? Observations?

Francois

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

It's too early in the morning for this!

It was a joke! And you fell for it like the fascists you are! - Rick - The Young Ones

• og
    og

Here's my thought: God is not a puzzle to be figured out, life is not a test to be passed, and whatever you conceive God to be, he is probably not that either. You can't go wrong. Relax, live well, be kind, and make snide comments in hyghlynder's threads - you'll be just fine.

• Francois
    Francois

Not bad, Og.

Sounds alot like Lao Tzu in The Tao Te Ching, "The God you can name is not the eternal God."

Frank

• og
    og

Thanks Frank. Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Tao te Ching was a revelation for me. I read it while a Witness (the only thing I had going for me as a Witness was that I read whatever I wanted) and was just knocked out by the comparison to WS literature. It didn't lead to immediate change, but it was one of the stepping stones along the way.

• radar
    radar

Hi Francois

The point I was making is, that "Childlike acceptance" is what gets people mixed up in Religious cults such as JWs in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit