Pyschology reveals the comforts of the apocalypse

by fresh prince of ohio 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/12/18/psychology-reveals-the-comforts-of-the-apocalypse/

Don't know if this was posted here when this article was current (2012).

Although I have left JWism far behind me, I still live with very strong, sometimes almost unbearable, fears of catastrophic events leading to complete societal breakdown.

• cofty
    cofty

Very interesting thanks

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Sorry to hear you still have those fears, FPoO. I know myself it takes a while for those irrational fears to go away. The fact is though; humans have survived for hundreds of thousands of years through all kinds of chaos, so we have a good record of survival. It seems that the desire for order, stability and peace does win out over the baser desires; which has gradually produced the world as we see it today- with a lot of struggle- but we are the end result at this time. It's all good.

• prologos
    prologos

If you are a failure, or have made yourself one by buying into end-of the world schemes,

you find comfort in the idea that the end of your predicament is near or imminent, you are freed, vindicated.

You need a new date or overlapping timeline to feed that comforter, and

WT is eager to supply it

next fresh light please.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Marking, thanks.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't accept the suggestion that some people are fatalistic as a reason for anticipating an apocalypse. However, there are no doubt people who look forward to anything that would free them from their mortgage and car payments. The stresses of modern-day living are manifold and it's natural to wish for someone to hit a big Reset button once in a while.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit