Richard Dawkins Fail...

by tenyearsafter 43 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Dawkins is as prone to error and failure as much as any other human. Although I don't always agree with his conclusions, I don't see that an error in his thinking in one area of life automatically devalues his opinion in others. It's human nature to follow individuals to some extent as much as their arguments, however the two are not necessarily connected as far as I can see.

It's a common tactic to use one aspect of a person's behaviour to attack their arguments. Where there is some hypocrisy this may be reasonable but in the case of Dawkins I don't think that makes sense. I don't see Dawkins setting himself up as any kind of moral authority.

• Scully
    Scully

If you read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, there is the description of her own experience of molestation as a child by a male relative. When she told her mother, there was no alarm, no reports to the police, her mother asked her "did he hurt you?" and when Jeanette said "no", her mother told her to stay away from the relative, and then they picked up and moved away. There was no big deal made of the incident but the family knew to stay away from 'the funny uncle'. I felt sick when I read that.

It *was* a time when things were handled in a matter-of-fact way. There were no laws or legal penalties. People couldn't afford a lawyer to sue for damages and they didn't want to drag the incident through the courts, forcing children to recount what was done to them.

That's the way pedophilia was handled 40-50 years ago. That's part of the reason why molesters got away with their crimes for so long. It's why we've had to wait until the late 20th century for the breadth and depth of the ramifications of child sexual abuse to be studied and compensation to be sought in the courts.

Dawkins may have been able to minimise its effects on his own life but it was a mistake for him to minimise the effects it has on anyone else. The Zeitgeist changes, and our values and attitudes must change with it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Setting something within its historical context does not make it morally defensible, its as simple as that.

At one time in the U.K, not so long ago, women were viewed by the Law as chattels, and treated as such. Because of the Zeitgeist of the time, a man could get away with beating his wife to death.

Such a crime I find abhorrent, the era did not find it so.

More recently children could be beaten, sometimes severely, within the Education system, Dawkins may have been thrashed too for all I know, and he may say, "it did me no harm", and I would say, what a silly thing to say, even if true, so what ? it was still wrong to beat a child, very wrong.

There was no valid excuse for beatings, and certainly not for molestation.

I still say to R.D "Think before you speak, think long and hard". That applies to all public figures, even if they don't like it.

• mP
    mP

yadda:

The bar needs to be raised very high on this issue, and especially in our current climate where paedophile is rampant and being fueled by the internet, and particularly with repulsive religious institutions like the JW's being the worst offenders.

mP:

Pedophilia has always been rampant, you just dont know about it. its sad its still about but it is getting better, with less victims year by year. If any of us went back in history and experienced life in those times and learnt of the troubles, and cruelties we would be very sad and shcoked.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

The problem with him classifying the child abuse as minor is that it minimizes what others have had to endure. Children lose their innocence and their trust, even if not physically damaged by the event. It is horrific and it is always ABUSE.

• bohm
    bohm

Iown Mylife: The problem with him classifying the child abuse as minor is that it minimizes what others have had to endure.

So let me get this straight. To say traumatic sexual intercourse with a 5 year old is the same as Richard Carrier feeling embarrassed by being groped is not to trivialize the first instance just a wee bit?

Notice I think both things are wrong.

• cofty
    cofty

If you can affirm that the behaviour of Dawkin's teacher was reprehensible, but not as reprehensible as Ian Brady and Myra Hindley then you agree with what he said, as opposed to what others say he said.

• adamah
    adamah

10yrsafter said:

I think what bothers me, is that it would appear that we run a double standard when it comes to comparing secularists and religious people. I absoulutely find ANY type of molestation abhorrent, but I think we would be quick to tar and feather the WTS and individual JW's (or any other religious denomination) as condoning pedophilia even if it just involved "minor" groping. It just seems to me that some are more willing to be apologists for the "other side" by finding justification for their positions or statements.

Thanks for starting the thread, as no doubt RD wanted to encourage discussions of the issue, as we're doing here.

I'm not sure I follow your thinking above, but I'm not ready to tar and feather anybody, and feel that SOME of the sentencing handed out for cases of molestation we've seen WERE an over-reaction. I can't recall the specific details of the case, but there was a case out of Temecula, CA a few years ago where the JW perp got sentenced to prison (something like 5 yrs) for fondling a girl's legs in a pool: prison seemed a tad excessive, IMO, as he confessed to the act. Now, as a taxpayer, I'm abhored at the idea of the public bearing the COSTS of paying for someone's room and board in prison, when parole and being added to a CA sex offender registry would likely be as effective and much-less costly for such an act.

As I said above, society goes thru cycles of what outrages and offends us, and mobs grab their pitch-forks if the outrageous "crime de jour" isn't sentenced with stiffer punishments. People demand a level of justice and protection against ALL threats and evils that exist in society, but few are willing to actually PAY for the level of protection they demand: taxes would have to be sky-high to pay for the justice to which they feel entitled. Hence citizens have an appetite for 'steak and caviar' justice, but aren't willing to even foot the bill for 'hamburger'.

Fiscal concerns aside, one can't help but notice the heads of VICTIMS group protesting RD and others in his peer group successfully overcoming their molestation to become successful, happy, well-adjusted individuals, but only by REFUSING to remain trapped in the victim role. I guess some can't see how victims refusing to see themselves as a victim might be bad business for the HEADS of victims groups, since their power is eroded without a large pool of victims whom they claim to represent?

(note that the victims are NOT CONDONING such behavior of their perps, NOT endorsing it, etc: RD was ONLY speaking to RD's PERSONAL EXPERIENCE in HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY, and didn't suggest such acts are innoculous.)

Granted, there MAY be some unknown victim(s) of RD's molester out there who WASN'T able to overcome THEIR molestation, but that's besides the point: show me where RD even REMOTELY condoned the molester's behavior? No one can, since he never DID: he CONDEMNED it, calling it "reprehensible". Again, people are reading into his words what they WISH RD had said, rather than what he DID say; people are creating a mental straw-man so they can only knock it over. Instead, RD was speaking from his past experience and perspective of a VICTIM, so now some want to further victimize him by criticizing his EXPERIENCE and OPINION since it doesn't fit "their" agenda? Hmmm...

As far as the heads of VICTIMS groups, some might need to question THEIR conflicts of interest in this matter, since they obviously obtain power from others remaining trapped in the role of seeing themselves as victims for as long as possible, rather than moving beyond the experience by refusing to waste more valuable time of their lives that was taken from them by the molester. Do these heads of VICTIMS groups represent THEIR best interests?

That SHOULD be obvious to anyone on JWN, since any more time than necessary spent looking BACK at the harm and loss that some see as being inflicted on you by being a member of a cult is just MORE TIME of one's own life SQUANDERED that you won't get back, either: it's basically "throwing good time after bad". Don't misunderstand: time spent looking backwards IS necessary, but only as little as possible that one needs to determine what one can do to minimize your exposure from repeating the same mistake again and again (obviously that doesn't even apply to victims of CHILD molestation, since they had absolutely NO control over the situation, since the power differential was so vast. Blaming victims of child abuse is thus inexcusable, whereas ACKNOWLEDGING that they were victims of a crime they had no control over allows people to move on with their lives).

It seems like RD is taking on the abuse of power of NOT just religion AND sexual molesters, but even those who CLAIM to represent the best interests of the victims of molestation, who seemingly insist that others stay trapped in perceiving themselves in the role of 'victim'? God help the victims if they DARE to liberate themselves and move beyond the harm they experienced, to ever overcome the harm to live a successful life like RD has done.

PS the other thing to keep in mind is WHY religions try to engage in cover-ups of pedophilia and abuse: typically it's done to save face to protect the group's image, to protect their own priests/elders/MS, all done in the mistaken idea that such actions are done to protect GOD'S name, and done "to the glory of God".

It's the institutional organized cover-up that worsens the situation, since it is requires co-operation amongst the leaders to squash the testimony of molestation (eg "two witness rule" of JWs). And what underlies it all? The cover-up is done under the banner of freedom of worship (eg defendents trying to hide behind clergy/penitant privilege, in the case I mentioned above), and it's ALL driven by a misogynistic book of immoral beliefs which creates a climate where such behavior thrives since ALL members are encouraged to turn a blind eye, even threatened with censure and shunning if they DON'T. Heck, ask Barbara Anderson about THAT: she was a CO (conscientious objector) who left the JWs as she refused to keep her protests to herself, to "go along to get along"....

If there were more TRULY morality-driven types like Barbara Andersons within the JWs, the cover-up problem wouldn't have been allowed to continue (or develop, in the first place).

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Phizzy said-

Setting something within its historical context does not make it morally defensible, its as simple as that.

At one time in the U.K, not so long ago, women were viewed by the Law as chattels, and treated as such. Because of the Zeitgeist of the time, a man could get away with beating his wife to death. Such a crime I find abhorrent, the era did not find it so.

So, you're admitting to being a moral absolutist, except using our current modern standards of behavior on past events? Well, that's a start!

And just as soon as the technicians get the bugs worked out on time-travel machines, we can send a group of Bobbys back to arrest the perps so they can face justice to pay for their crimes!

There was no valid excuse for beatings, and certainly not for molestation.

Why do you PERSIST in straw-manning RD, by falsely claiming he was EXCUSING it? Read RD's statement, prior comments, and show me the evidence (where others have even presented evidence to the contrary, where RD declared it as "reprehensible").

Do little things like FACTS have any bearing on the conclusions you come to?

Adam

• scary21
    scary21

I am happy for Richard, that he has no long term effects from his encounter . PTSD. Some people do. Just like in war, not every soldier gets PTSD. I think he is speaking from his own experience . Some people poo poo PTSD untill they get it. Still love the guy !

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit