Why would they mention the 'old light'?

by Captain Blithering 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

I don't get why they opened the article 'when will these things be' by using old old light not believed since the late 60's?

Seems a bit idiotic to draw attention to past mistakes that are LONG forgotten in the minds of the r&f, as opposed to stuff that is fairly recent that has warranted 're-examination'. .

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

To make it seem like change happening is no big deal?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

They're just using a bit of psychology - show "humility" by admitting that we got some things wrong in the past, but now we've "discerned" the real truth about the subject, everyone will trust us because of our honesty!!

It certainly worked with one elder in our congregation, because that is virtually how he answered after I'd commented about the several reversals of teachings which we'd have to study.

The brutal truth remains - if you question any of these teachings, you will viewed and treated as a potential apostate; if you challenge any teachings, you will be procedurally "put to death" by the Enforcers, or as they better known by their cuddly names, Elders/Hiding Places From the Wind/Princes/Glorious Ones.

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

They can't state clearly to the ranks : listen, "old light" was not conceived by us, so it's not our fault ...

But they can state clearly what once thought; subtly discrediting the departed (dead) GB member for the errors , and getting credit for themself for "new light" released.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They may be aware too that too many are in what another poster called "Homer mode" whilst the preacher is "up there going Yadda yadda yadda" and still cling to old light despite WT articles quite clearly changing things, as happened with the generation thing and other changes.

For the rigid Totalitarian, North Korean, type control that the GB now wishes to have, the R&F have to accept this New Sh/L/ite fully, and reject the old crap.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

My thoughts are they are setting us up for a "change" in thinking. Maybe the Annual Meeting is the time they announce this change?

• BU2B
    BU2B

JWs are in the strange position where they are aware of many changes on a teaching through the years, and now there is a new teaching. Common sense would tell them that there is a good chance the current teaching will change again one day to something else. However most do not think that way. Whatever the current teaching is IS THE UNQUESTIONABLE TRUTH! Until it changes again, then that is THE TRUTH, and the PREVIOUS TRUTH is just a understanding that needed a little clarification LOL

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS goes back to the 1st century to show that updating beliefs is all right....was circumcision required for Gentiles to worship God.

• Splash
    Splash

Eurasia is at war with Eastasia, and always has been.

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

What's interesting about this point is that there have been many "new" points, whereby the "old light" is not even mentioned. I can remember Watchtowers and Convention Talks, where a seasoned JW would say, "That's a new point, or an adjusted view, etc.". When I was new in the so-called "truth", I used to think to myself, how come they didn't mention the old point. Did they do that on purpose so that the newbies wouldn't even notice that a "change" occured to doctrine/teachings??? How was I suppose to know (as the seasoned JW did) that it was a NEW point - IF they didn't tell me what the old point was???

So, when they do mention "old light" in an article, as mentioned in this new thread, I [too] am suspicious about their motive (as highlighted by some of the replies to this thread).

Blondie, you are so right! When the real light went on in my head, I realized just how hypocritical the leaders of this religion are. They always wag a finger at other religion for using scriptures out of context to back up their teachings. Well, the Governing Body, does the same thing! They will use scriptures from any part of the Bible to explain away their "changed" teachings. It's completely unethical what they are doing. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I don't know how the Governing Body members can look themselves in the mirror and not feel totally disgraced by the hoax that they are carrying on! I sure hope that they read this board, because perhaps one of them will go public and become the new Ray Franz that will expose this fraudelent religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit