A two-petal flower

by flower 8 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

I got a note from my sons daycare the other day saying that for their spring project we need to bring in 'family flowers'. Basically they want us to make a flower shaped collage of family photos which they are going to display in the classroom. Each petal should have a picture of a different family member.

Now, normally I wouldnt mind blowing off their little assignments since my son is only 2 and a half and hes more interested in playing than any of their special projects. But the pictures the kids love to look at and it makes them feel more secure when they are having a bad day and the teacher takes them to their photos and talk about their family.

I have been being shunned by my sisters unless they 'have' to talk to me for some reason for years. The stay-at-home mom sister with a son close to my sons age has refused to babysit for me even though she could use the money and it would help me tremendously.

The father has shunned me completely and cut off any financial support of myself or my son. I am dead to him (but my son is alive and he acts like he loves him..go figure)

Three brothers I dont know at all and dont even know where they live cause I was forced to shun them when they left the org 10-20 years ago.

One brother, a young teen, has chosen to follow the example of those around him and has been convinced that I am what they say I am. And even at 16 and not very bright, he can practice emotional and mental abuse with the best of them. Hes got good teachers.

The last brother has problems controlling his temper and I stay away from him. Hes a dub but I think only because of the mental hold they have on him. He was born into the org but has never been appointed or reached out for responsibility in the Cong. other than the sound system which was taken from him in favor of younger more goal oriented brothers. At 35 that is a major stigma in the org. I noticed that he cant even look my dad, or anyone really,in the face because hes such a disappointment. He's also a virgin and to my knowledge never expressed interest or had any female express interest in him. Hes got psych probs let me tell you.

And finally my mother. *sigh* What can i say about the mother? I spent my whole life thinking she was the one person who loved me no matter what. I thought she couldnt do anything to change things for me or help me when I was being abused as a kid because of being married to the asshole and having to follow their subjection rules. She was never there for me but I knew she would be if she could. But this week my mom did something hurtful to me of her own accord, something totally uncalled for. I think I was wrong about her. I think she hates me. Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe shes just angry and hurt because she misses my son. Shes never done anything like that before but shes sat back and let others hurt me. Being under the orgs control would explain that but why did she do what she did this week?

Anyway, back to the dilemma...Do I skip the project? Do I bring in a two-petaled flower? Or since they havent hurt my son and since its HIS project not mine maybe I should stuff the painful emotional crap inside and not take it so seriously and just let him pick some pictures of his family out to use?

flower

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Well, since you asked.

"since its HIS project not mine"
    "just let him pick some pictures of his family out to use"

Hugs,
    j2bf

• larc
    larc

Flower,

Maybe you could use multiple pictures of you and your son. One of him as a baby and a recent one of himself. Several of you at different ages. I think it would be something he would enjoy, both as a project and something to look at when he is older.

• animal
    animal

thats rite... break the pattern and let HIM think for himself and pic the pics. In time, he will see what they are.

If you put your thoughts in his head, you will be doing the same as your folks.

I propose you do like I did... start your family tree there, with just you two. No one else in the family exsists. Start fresh.

Also... find your long lost family. It may surprise you.

Animal

• Solace
    Solace

These things break my heart.
    Isnt it sad how this can effect the children?
    I agree with the other posters.
    Let him choose the pictures or use multiple pictures taken during different stages in your lives.
    Good luck on the project!
    Knowing you, Im sure it will turn out just perfect.

• flower
    flower

Thats a good suggestion Larc, I think I may do that. I'll let him pic pictures of us and put it together.

Animal, hes too young to think for himself. Youre right eventually he would see them for what they are but theres no way I'm gonna let him go through the pain of learning that the hard way.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Nobody on earth has the right to love and associate with your TWO-YEAR-OLD son while simultaneously shunning the woman who brought him into the world and is raising him alone. Tell them all that if they truly loved your son, then they would respect you as well, because your son loves you. If they love him, they would love who he loves also. And why aren't you taking the father to court for child support? And why aren't you telling him that he has no right to love the child YOU brought into the world while simultaneously hating you? It was through YOUR pain and effort, and yours alone, that he even has a son to begin with. He needs to respect that. That's like single-handedly building a house for someone who has no other home to live in, and who has no gratitude to you for your efforts.

As for the flower, your real family are the ones who are there for you. When my mom died, I lost my last blood relative of any importance to me. My aunt, uncle, cousins, etc. have never cared enough to spend time with me despite my efforts to be closer to them, so they are all pretty much dead to me until they reciprocate my efforts. My family are all the friends who have been there for me through thick and thin.

• Simon
    Simon

The kid was 2 fourteen years ago - he'll be 16 now. Hope he's free of the WTS heartbreak.

My family are all the friends who have been there for me through thick and thin.

I agree with that.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Just realized this is an old thread

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit