What do JW's make of Early Christians?

by ForbiddenFruit 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

The idea that the early Christians had one governing body overseeing a preaching work is just as unlikely as the idea that Jesus made a "pope" out of the apostle Peter. But what would religion be without a little historical revisionism?

• NeonMadman
  • fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

neonmadman, is that from a WTS publication?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It's from the "Faith in Action" DVD, so yes.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

There's a staggering level of pure delusion in that illustration. I just defies description.

• Splash
    Splash

+1 to pixel.

If you count the number of christians put to death for their faith in the 1st century, you soon exceed 144,000, easily doubling or trebling that number at least.

So for that reason the WT says they were false christians, giving their lives for false reasons.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

Splash

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Splash. True... and it would be nice to have some stats to report to JW visitors.

• garyneal
    garyneal

NeoMadman, that is just so hilarious and a fail on so many levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTvT7Cdveto

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

How many millions of Christians were there from the founding of Christianity to 1900? Millions upon millions. There had to have been at least 144,000 "true" Christians in that time frame.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fresh prince and neonmadman, you took the words (picture) right out of my mouth. It is astounding how the Witnesses have grabbed the early history of the Christians for themselves.

To answer the question of the OP, the Witnesses identify with the first two hundred years of Christianity, and then reject most that followed afterwards as apostate.

Another Watchtower picture I have burned on my memory is a gathering of early Christians listening to Paul. Nearly everyone in the room, including women, have scrolls in order to follow along with Paul's public talk.

I mean, there were no printing presses! Scrolls were as valuable and as rare as a genuine Rolex! Not to mention that most people were illiterate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit