Disfellowshiping: Why the Terror?

by Cold Steel 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The more I read about ritual shunning and disfellowshiping in the Society, the more I wonder how the Governing Body and elders have pulled the proverbial wool over the eyes of the congregation. First, the Society doesn’t consider itself a “church” (unlike the ancient Christians, who did consider themselves to be part of a church). Yet, like other sectarians, they have their hands out for contributions and exercise immense power over their members. I don’t know whether it suggests a ten percent contribution or not, but since Armageddon is just around the corner, it’s probably a good idea.

But how does the Society explain the words of Jesus?

And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Matt. 16:18-19)

The Society claims it’s not a church...so shouldn’t the people be looking for the church of Jesus Christ? And if Peter was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven, does the Society hold those keys today? If so, how did they get them? If not, shouldn’t they?

The real question here is if the Society doesn’t have the power to loose on Earth, then how can it disfellowship anyone? And why doesn’t it use the term “excommunicate,” which is to ostracize, banish, cut off, exclude, eject or expel. Disfellowshiping is essentially the same thing, but considered less drastic. Fellowshipping is “companionship of individuals in a congenial atmosphere and on equal terms,” so disfellowshiping would be a reversal of that. In Catholicism and most formal religions, excommunication means a withdrawal of salvation, whereas disfellowshiping is a withdrawal of fellowship. Catholics (even hardened Mafia killers) fear excommunication because it means sure damnation. And the reason they fear the church is because of those dreaded “keys.” If the church says you’re out on Earth, you’re out in Heaven!

Now if the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses don’t have the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, they, nor their underlings, can either bind or loosen. Certainly they have the legal right to include or exclude from their society of worshipers, but its legitimacy as God’s organization on the earth is open for serious doubt. In the past, Yahweh called prophets and apostles when he wished to bring something about. This would usually come by way of angelic ministrations, and he never, ever, departed from that mode of operating.

So if the Society isn’t a church and it doesn’t have the keys of the kingdom, and if it can’t bind or loose in Heaven or Earth or affect your salvation in any way, shape or form, nor is there the slightest evidence the Society was founded by Yahweh, then why do members fear judicial action and disfellowshiping?

There’s nothing in the scriptures saying people can’t believe what they wish, or that they’ll be destroyed by God if they fail to abide by the Society’s instructions, yet people are terrified by the people who should be their best friends.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

It's a real estate laundering scam. They just cashed in a billion. The society doesnt care any more.

• losingit
    losingit

Hmmmm.... interesting. I forgot about what excommunication means in the Catholic Church. JWs definitely practice excommunication, but since they like to be different and have their own terminology, disfellowshipping it is.

• Perry
    Perry

Why? ... because the real currency that the WT traffiks in is the familial love bonds among family members. Instead of indulgences, they sell you your own family if you tow the line.

• scary21
    scary21

I just asked my Catholic husband about that yesterday. At least no one shuns you. You just can't partake.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    And why doesn’t it use the term “excommunicate,” which is to ostracize, banish, cut off, exclude, eject or expel. Disfellowshiping is essentially the same thing, but considered less drastic.

Disfellowshipping isn't less drastic.

Catholic excommunication means a person doesn't receive communion but the person isn't shunned (many other Christian groups view it in a similar way). Excommunication vitandus (actual 'shunning') was reserved for things like physically attacking the Pope, but excommunication vitandus was abolished in 1983.

Christadelphians also use the term disfellowshipping, where it refers to exclusion from membership, but it doesn't require shunning.

In Catholicism and most formal religions, excommunication means a withdrawal of salvation, whereas disfellowshiping is a withdrawal of fellowship. Catholics (even hardened Mafia killers) fear excommunication because it means sure damnation. And the reason they fear the church is because of those dreaded “keys.” If the church says you’re out on Earth, you’re out in Heaven!

That's a valid point for people who leave but still believe it's true. But if a person no longer believes Catholic doctrines, it hardly matters what that same Church says about 'getting in to heaven' (and they aren't shunned whether they believe or not). On the other hand, JW specifically impose shunning on people who no longer believe.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Another biblical interpolation...Think about it, giving man or so-called apostles this type of authority over other men is manipulative in exploiting people. It dishonors God! These are not Jesus words, they are mans words with an agenda..to control.. This is not new, in Jer. 8:8 hundreds of years before. These scribes were doing the same thing...Why?..The same thing.. Evil men playing God!...Same crap today, So do not fear them Deut. 18:22..... insot4

• adamah
    adamah

Perry said-

Why? ... because the real currency that the WT traffiks in is the familial love bonds among family members. Instead of indulgences, they sell you your own family if you tow the line.

Interesting insight, Perry.

I can't believe I'm defending the Catholic practice here, but at least with selling indulgences for the dead, the old saying was:

“As soon as money in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory's fire springs."

The immoral practice did damage only to the believer's pocketbook, but it had no significant effect on their present relationships with others, since the scam was about selling a solution (buying comfort/peace of mind) to a problem (threat of purgatory) which was devised by the same source: Catholic theology. Selling solutions to problems you create in the first place is the hallmark of a scam.

But as you point out, the JWs have crossed the diamond with the pearl, figuring out how to re-import the damage into Earthly existence, in the here and now, damaging family bonds. The problem is that they cheapen the very familial bonds they hold hostage and traffic in, damaging them often beyond repair, such that there's nothing left worth salvaging. It's a great environment for those who are afraid of experiencing love, since it makes a mockery of familial love, turning it into a travesty.

Adam

• steve2
    steve2
    yet people are terrified by the people who should be their best friends.

Not wishing to let the Watchtower off the hook, let's not forget that it has only been in recent decades, if not centuries, that the Catholic Church has taken a more lenient view of excommunication. History brims with accounts of the Catholic Church using the power of the pope to wreak all sorts of violence upon communities, believers and unbelievers alike. If Jehovian blood poured through the grim pages of the Old Testament, it literally flooded parts of the earth during the supremacy of the Catholic Church. That Church's cruel and unrelenting pursuit of heretics makes the Watchtower disfellowshipping policy, by contrast, look like a flimsy, wet bus ticket. My how times have changed!

• clarity
    clarity

Well really since the so called F&DS will not be appointed until

>

after the end of the tribulation (supposedly), how is it they are making

up rules & regulations and decisions to disfellowship & shun any who don't

follow them!!! They do not have any authority!! Why be afraid!

>

At best they should be only feeding the sheep, not throwing them out!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit