I HATE MY JOB!

by Elsewhere 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

These people are trying to set me up.

I was brought in to migrate a web site to a new server. When I finished they suddenly “discover” a “serious” problem on the new site. As it turns out, I can demonstrate that the “serious” problem exists on the original site too.

I called the support desk to ask them if they have been getting any calls about this, they say no. I ask them if they have heard of this problem, they say no. I ask them when was the last time they used the system; they say, “I’m not sure, it’s been awhile”.

So one of the following is true:
    1. Users are not using the features that are part of the “serious” problem, and therefore are not aware of the problem. (This is a contradiction – how could it be a “serious” problem if no one is affected?)
    2. Users are not reporting this “serious” problem that is preventing them from working. (Which I seriously doubt. It is my experience that when users cannot function, they call tech support in mass.)
    3. Someone is lying to me and trying to set me up.

What do you think?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• spender
    spender

I've worked quite a while with webhosting companies...and I know that clients will do anything to put the blame on you. IE breaking something themselves, telling you to fix their mail or something, and then saying that you broke x y and z, when it would have been impossible to do so.

• COMF
    COMF

What do I think? I think you get a Statement of Work detailing precisely what the project entails, and what accomplishments will signal its end, and get it signed by all the stakeholders in the project, before you ever start working. In the case of a migration, you would want to explicitly state that you are not responsible for existing flaws in the original system. Then, whether or not the users report the flaw, if you can reproduce it in the original system you're off the hook.

COMF

(Edited to add...)
    PS: SOW = Statement of Work
    SLA = Service Level Agreement

Don't forget to get an SLA, too. Detail exactly how much support you are obligated to provide after the project is completed; ie, are you responsible for fielding helpdesk-style questions from users? If so, for how long? How about initial training? ...and so on. Get this in writing before you start, and get it signed.

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

COMF,

I've got the statement of work and it mentions nothing about fixing any bugs... A migration, and only a migration. While working I did find something that would prevent some of the code from migrating and created a separate STOW for that - no big deal (problem was corrected). But that was not a preexisting bug and did not affect the functionality of the site.

Now the CIO is telling me that he was able to use the functionality a week ago and now cannot. Yet at the same time tech support is still not getting any calls about it - I find this VERY suspicious.

I even checked to see if I had the network permissions to accidentally modify the related user permissions that would cause such a problem - nothing. I can't touch any of the permissions, so I know that I could not have caused the problem.

[>:(][>:(][>:(]

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    <x ><

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oh you're going to like this one!!!

I told someone at the contracting agency that placed me at this site that the problem existed before I arrived, that I could not have cause the problem, and that their tech support is not aware of this problem.

He paused and said, "Just put that out of your mind..."

I just about lost it! Those are the exact same words elders would say to me when I pointed out an inconstancy in the bOrg.

He is trying to do the same thing the bOrg does... force me to deny what I know to be true and believe a lie.

<x ><

• COMF
    COMF

Man, you have my sympathy. ...Along with a sigh of relief that it isn't me... (sorry about that)

I hope you can work it out without having to resort to litigation. Eewww.

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• jst_me
    jst_me

Your post made me think of a book that I have been reading called "The 12 Bad Habits that Hold Good People Back". (I, too, am a techie working with a bunch of non-tecnical people in the training dept of a huge IT company.)

The comment you made, "He is trying to do the same thing the bOrg does... force me to deny what I know to be true and believe a lie" is actually black and white thinking that is imposed upon us while we are JWs (I think it is way worse if you grew up in the truth). There is a chapter about people who think in black and white, and how it affects their careers, and how to change the way you respond to things so that they work out for your good.

The book is really great, I am about half-way through it and have learned alot of new strategies. The 1st chapter is "never feeling good enough", that really hit home with me. I love my job, I hate the political BS that goes with it, but I am trying to learn how to play their games so I can keep doing stuff I love.

• Francois
    Francois

So what are you trying to solve for? Getting paid? Not getting forced to fix something you didn't break? What?

You're a consultant, right? Been there.

A friend of mine builds fireplaces. He usually has to wait and wait to get paid; until the homeowner builds a fire. The HO calls my buddy raising hell because his home is full of smoke.

"You never paid me, you know. When you do, I'll take a look at the fireplace." He tells the HO.

The check invariably comes. He waits 'till it clears the bank.

"Hello, sir? This is XYZ Fireplaces 'n' Things. Received your check. Thank you very much. Go up on the roof and drop a coke bottle, not a can, a bottle, down the chimney. It will break the plate glass barrier I left in your chimney and then it will work just fine. What? No, I won't come out and drop the coke bottle down the chimney for you. Bye now."

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Question: How many Programers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer: None, that is a Hardware Problem!

• one
    one

elsewhere,

It is possible, but specific info is required, what is the problem?
    Simon may help you, not me.

Then you have Murphy's law number x
    "...at the worst posible time"

Or go elsewhere to find another job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit