buying new stereo - need suggestions

by walt 21 Replies latest jw friends

• walt
    walt

if anybody can recomend a good stereo it would be appreciated.
    brand doesnt matter. just something that will rock the house.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Walt

there is a Harman Kardon amp thats hopefullt still available
    thats was reviews by What HiFi? magazine.

Its a real monster that plays LOUD, but not without finesse and control. What HiFi? were astounded at it, except they thought their house probably needed extra reinforcing to handle the bass. And with orchestral stuff, they said the amp could pay lt really well with its excellent dynamics.

If you Email me, I can check my What Hifi and let you know the model. Or just check out Harmans website.

The pope

• COMF
    COMF

Yep, yep, yep... having made do with various ghetto blasters for the past 20 years, I'm at a point now where it's time to invest in some quality stuff. I'd be interested in the observations of those with some experience, too.

Ah, love! could you and I with Him conspire
    To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire,
    Would not we shatter it to bits--and then
    Re-mould it nearer to the heart's desire!

• DB
    DB

Hi walt,

By 'stereo' I'll assume that you want a home hi-fi system.

What are your needs? Are you also into home theater, or into mostly music listening? If you are into home theater, then your choices could well be different; for example, you'd likely want a surround-sound receiver with 5 channels for left, right, center, and surround speakers.

If you simply want to "rock the house" I'd recommend efficient speakers that play loudly without needing to be driven by a lot of amplifier power. My first recommendation would be Klipsch brand speakers, sold at Tweeter stores in the USA or on the Net. If musical accuracy is less of a concern that sheer musical output, you may want to look into Cerwin Vega speakers, but they are not as accurate musically as the Klipsch brand is, generally.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Sunfire has a good amp out that is kind of an all in one kinda thingy!

Ven

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Oh, one more thing Walt,

never take advice about stereo gear from a WOMAN!!!!

All they want to input is, "make sure the speakers are flat on the top so I can put a vase of flowers there!!!". AAAARGGGHHHH!!!

(Sorry Ven, but "all in one thingy" doesn't cut it!!
    We still like you though) :-))

The Pope

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Pioneer or Alpine...my daughter has a pioneer system...speakers are boomie....the system is good...its just her music that sux.

Let us know what you get.

Beck

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ohhh ok!!!

All in one as in Amp and Tuner dear. And I do know a thing or two about sound systems, Dad's had several differnt kinds installed in the house, he still complains that nothing beats his old Freed speakers though, but mom made him get rid of them 'cause they're ugly! hahah ohh well. I love stereos and sound systems so you better watch out or your gonna get smacked

And you have to admit sunfire amps are very high end

Ven

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

One hi-fi guy I’ve talked to recommends Phase Technology speakers.

Their web site is here: http://www.phasetech.com/main_menu/index.html

Of course speakers are only one part of a system, but an important part.

Sam Beli

"...religion opposes the commandments of Almighty God." Violence by J. F. Rutherford 1938

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Ven, I've been thinking about your reply.

If I divorce my wife will you marry me?? I've got 3 stereos!!! Even if I let my wife (or ex-wife) keep one that still leaves 2!!!

Popee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit