Mom calls out Jehovah

by Poztate 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(Stay away from NN)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If WT parents didn't make thier children social retards (sorry bout that) they would have the courage to move out instead of taking a stab at independence the wrong way!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I can't blame the WT for what that girl did, but I think it begs the consideration of what would make a young girl so enraged and desperate that doing such a thing seemed remotely like the thing she needed to do? It may be that something else entirely was happening in her life or it has nothing to do with the WT association, but it sure didn't keep anything evil out of that home. What a tragedy for the family all around. I hope justice is able to be done but in situations like that, I don't know if there is any that can come on this earth.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

This is really sad...wow, unbelievable...I wonder what would happen if she tells law enforcement that the reason she killed her mum was because she was forced to be in the cult?

• adamah
    adamah

The psychologist they interviewed in the piece mentioned how cases of rage are often started by some trauma she experienced in the past (sexual abuse/rape); that, combined with her mom's "unconditional* love", where she experienced a psychotic break and snapped.

(* unconditional: see terms and warranty for details, as certain restrictions DO apply for JW families.)

Knowing what we know about JWs and shunning, there's little doubt in MY mind that the high-wire was raised to dizzying heights for this girl due to known JW practices, her knowing that her own mom would shun her/put her out in the name of protecting her eternal life in a minute. I can't thinking that a COMBINATION of factors played a role in this tragic incident (eg a high-control cult that strongly prevents exit by social ostracism, frowns on secular education/college, a teen's poor inhibition control, combined with possible history of sexual abuse or even just raised in a highly-misogynistic culture is an explosive combination).

Don't think I'm making EXCUSES for her, but the daughter IS a victim who threw away her life by making the WRONG choice, but trapped animals lash out in mindless rage when they're backed into a corner and sense no other options.

There's mitigating factors here that any court-appointed lawyer worth their salt who are representing her would carefully examine and build a defense on (or use to reduce her sentence to give her the psychological help she desparately needs).

Adam

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

No one should blame the WTB&TS for something that is so obviosly the fault of KNIFEMAKERS!

WHY do they have to make knives so sharp and pointy?

Why can't a knife be made safe, like a spoon?

People shuld be required to have 100,000 hours of training by a nabob before even being allowed to touch a knife!

• steve2
    steve2

Nathan I do enjoy your responses - there is more than a grain of truth in what you say.

Others, while not condoning the girl's murderous rage, have suggested the part played by the Watchtower. This is nonsense. The difficulties between youth and their parents go back millenia and cross all cultures and religions.

We could speculate endlessly about the exact role played by the Watchtower, whereas it is most likely to be as simple as a fraught mother-daughter relationship that reached a tipping point that either or both of them did not see coming. The availability of a lethal weapon (possibly a plain old kitchen knife) made the rage all the more dangerous. There's a world of difference between verbally berating one's parent and reaching for a nearby object to use against that parent.

The girl will rightly face charges and the courts and be sentenced - I hope she will be given a sentence commensurate with her unbridled and excessive violence.

Let's hope we do not hear too much liberal bleating from professionals about how badly this poor murderous soul was treated by her now-dead mother (who is not present to defend all the allegations the defense team will dish out against her). As "bad" as the Watchtower and its followers may be, it is utter nonsense to make a link when the real link is between the girl and her own impulses. Teenage/adolescent rage is a fairly common thing, anyway - only most young ones do not take the step to act it out.

• adamah
    adamah

Steve2 said-

Others, while not condoning the girl's murderous rage, have suggested the part played by the Watchtower. This is nonsense. The difficulties between youth and their parents go back millenia and cross all cultures and religions.

You're kidding, right? You've likely seen literally hundreds of threads discussing the harmful and damaging policies of high-control groups like the JWs, discussing the effects of shunning on effected youth, policies and beliefs that shelter/cover up sexual molestation, no blood transfusions, no flag salute, national anthem, no sports, worldly friends, etc.

Not surprisingly, such an environment actually DOES have an effect on SOME youth, even driving them to the brink of suicide (and many, over the brink, when they sense no other way out). You may have even experienced it personally, or seen it in others who've suffered as a result of such practices and policies.

Yet when someone get pushed past their breaking point, suddenly some are not willing to CONSIDER linking causes with effects, even denying it as a possibility? ( The clinical psychologist was SPECULATING, of course, but not without reason: although we don't know if there's any actual evidence of WHY she was driven to a homicidal rage, he was speaking based on a high-index of clinical suspicion, based on past experiences with patients.)

It has nothing to do with one's political leanings, but with COMMON SENSE: it's hard NOT to link an ultra-conservative approach to life (eg anti-education policies, misogyny/sex abuse cover-ups, etc) being harmful to some personality types, where being raised in almost any other environment would lead to very different outcomes. That's exactly WHY society has decided that some children should be removed from their parents where there's abuse (emotional/sexually/physically): it's an affront to basic human decency to let them be raised in unhealthy environments, and it's needed to reduce the incidence of tragic outcomes like this.

Of course, we wouldn't even be talking about the girl if she had done the "socially-approved thing" and only killed herself, but instead she killed her mom in a head-line grabbing manner. If she hadn't done that, it wouldn't have made the headlines, and JWs would say, "oh well, demon possession drove her to kill herself; she was a bad seed anyway", and the real truth wouldn't come out; the JW would be free to continue with their harmful backwards Luddite policies.

Point being, it seems some want to have their cake and eat it, too, crying how harmful and abusive the Sparlock cartoon is (!), while being unwilling to consider the actual evidence when cases like this occur (and people actually die).

Adam

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

A knife is a very personal weapon. S tabbing someone is personal, you have to be close to do it. When you do it 79 times. Is pure rage. That teen is not going to spend 1 day in jail. She is going to a mental institution for a couple of decades. If her lawyer can prove that her religion have something to do with the rage and murder, a couple of months.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

WHERE WAS HELP...JEHOVAH THAT IS? SAD THIS IS VERY SAD.

SW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit