Theocratic Ministry School Review night?

by FadeToBlack 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• Mum
    Mum

Written review was part of the pseudo-intellectual aspect of being a JW that I actually liked. I don't recall heavy absence on written review night at either of the two congregations I attended. Nor do I recall anybody making a big deal about scores or grading the papers. I do recall walking to the restroom once and seeing the written review page of an elder's teenage son. He was just sitting there, looking bored, and not writing answers to the questions. Scrawled across the page in capital letters was one word: FOOT. That was probably his version of an "F" word.

• steve2
    steve2

There's emerging anecdotal evidence that week night meetings are not well attended anymore. Oh, I think they''ve always been a problem in terms of level of attendances compared to the Watchtower study - but apparently even more so nowadays.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

One over zealous elder in a hall I went to as a teen would tell the audience – when no one was answering – “Do I have to randomly start calling on you brothers and sisters?” He would do it from time to time. Usually it was another elder or MS.

He was the most arrogant a**hole. We had words in the “back room” several times when I was growing up.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The weeknights meetings were always a problem for me. I was a working mom with a disfellowshipped mate. The thought of working all day, fixing dinner and then rounding up two tired cranky kids, forcing them into meeting clothes, drag them to the hall and then sitting for two hours, trying to keep them quiet, was overwhelming to me. With no mate to share the burden or make sure I kept it up, I missed more and more meetings. I remember my son would fall asleep on the way home. Once I banged his head trying to drag him out of the car. Once I woke him up to get him out of the car, took him to the bathroom, he was still asleep so peed in the bathtub instead of the toilet.

Trying to pass a test on what was discussed the last few meetings was not high up on my priorities.

• losingit
    losingit

I feel your pain, LisaRose. I went through the same ordeal. Honestly, it ruined my marriage.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes, our attendance was down for that very reason. We got a good parking space. It's not my favourite night, too. First you need to study the Jeremiah book. the Oral review, The service meeting had something to be studied as well. WTF, are we given homework

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

last time I was at the review question time I was shocked at how every answer given was word for word cribbed from the official/unofficial answer sheet.....even the study conductor had a look of perplexment....so much for meaningful wholehearted sincere answers....!

• rmt1
    rmt1

It warms my heart to see this new behavior. The last Written Review I would have done was about 1997. Pre-millenium. The fear was still there. The Written Review was still attended as if it were as important as the normal meeting. Most of the questions were absurdly easy to "answer", as if there had not been the intention of actually thinking about the possibilities. one, two or three of the questions might requre some thought or arcane esoteric knowledge, and the pioneers would glory in any small edge. There was no pervasive Internet among JWs for getting cheatsheets. Answers were heart-felt duckspeak rather than ambivalent duckspeak. Very glad to hear this now. I'd invite any of those JW brainiacs to take the final in quantum mechanics or thermal physics. I don't think they're getting as much excitement or sheer terror.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit