Reverse Shunning -- Is It Really Worth It?

by Narcissistic Supply 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think when out in public, body language is everything. Shoulders back. Don't avoid eye contact. Look them squarely in the eye, twitch the lips, and nod the head in acknowledgement.

There is no reason to take on the body language of failure and rejection. If they want to veer off in their attempt to shun, knocking over the canned peaches in their zeal, let them.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

In my opinion the term "kill'em with kindness" applies well here.

My experience is that when i come across JWs which i used to know or belonged to my ex-hall, i make sure that i have a big smile on my face and am as nice and courteous as possible. There is something to be said about this...

I truly think that when an active witness sees an ex-JW which has a great attitude and seems happy, they are intrigued. They don't expect this. They are conditioned to think people outside of the Watchtower world, fall apart, are sad and unhappy.

I believe this is somewhat organic in human nature. Even in relationships there is a parallel. I recall breaking up with girlfrends and seeing them afterwards angry, bitter, avoiding me. This made me feel like i was better off without them.

On the other hand i recall a few which were completely fine with the breakup, and ready to move on. They continued to be nice, smile and being friendly. This intrigued me and actually made me feel that perhaps i really should be with them afterall.

• losingit
    losingit

How about when you are out in public with your children and they say hi to your children but ignore you? I've only had it happen once. ButI swear I want to blow a gasket the next time it happens. I know there are other responses, but I find the practice so unbelievably direspectful that my brain freezes from thinking straight. I can tolerate it at the KH only bc I know I'm stepping into their world. But if I'm a stranger to them, they are a stranger to my children as well. Ugh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit