Is Jehovah a man that lived on a mountain?

by bytheirworks 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

When Moses met Jehovah, he was on a mountain.

"For I have not dwelt in an house since the days that I brought up Israel." - I Chronicles 17:5

"Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the Children of Israel out of Egypt, unto this day but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle." - II Samuel 7:5

"As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen." - Exodus 33:22,23

Was God a man who would kill people if they looked him right in the eyes?

Here are some other Bible quotes:

"I come to thee in a thick cloud that the people may hear when I speak to thee."

"Ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests."

"Take heed, go not up the mount (Sinai), whosoever toucheth the mount shall surely be put to death."

"Set bounds upon the mount and sanctify it."

"And thou shall come up, thou and Aaron, but let not the priests nor the people."

Is Jehovah a man that was very territorial about his mountain?

"The first fruits of the land, thou shalt bring into the house of the Lord." (Why does God want food?)

"The rich, shall not give more, now the; poor less than a half a shekel." (Why is God concerned with money?)

"But every women shall borrow of her neighbor jewels of silver and of gold and raiment, and put them on your sons and daughters, and ye shall spoil Egyptians."

"Sanctify the first born, both of man and beast; it is mine."

"Thou shall not not revile the gods"

"Moses alone shall come near the Lord."

"Come up to me into the mount and I will give thee tablets: of stone"

"Thou canst not see my face, for there shall no man-see me and live."

"Thou shall see my back parts, but my face shall not be seen."

"Neither let the flock s or herds feed before the mount."

"An offering to the Lord gold; silver, and brass." (Why does Almighty God want gold, silver & brass?)

"And he set bread in upon it before the Lord." (Why does Almighty God want food?)

Compare these scriptures: Genesis 18

The LORD appeared again to Abraham near the oak grove belonging to Mamre. One day Abraham was sitting at the entrance to his tent during the hottest part of the day. He looked up and noticed three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he ran to meet them and welcomed them, bowing low to the ground. "My lord," he said, "if it pleases you, stop here for a while. And since you've honored your servant with this visit, let me prepare some food to refresh you before you continue on your journey." "All right," they said. "Do as you have said." So Abraham ran back to the tent and said to Sarah, "Hurry! Get three large measures of your best flour, knead it into dough, and bake some BREAD."

THERES THAT BREAD AGAIN!!!!

So the LORD appears & he was 1 of 3 men????

It continues in verse 8

When the food was ready, Abraham took some yogurt and milk and the roasted meat, and he served it to the men. As they ate, Abraham waited on them in the shade of the trees.

So the LORD ate??????

What the heck is going on here?

• adamah
    adamah

God had to assume mortal form, since the "burning bush" cammies were in the cleaners.

Adam

• mP
    mP

Many ancient gods live in heaven and since mountains are the highest ground and closest to the sky that matches. Note the Egyptians built pyramids which literally means fire mountain (pyr=pyro as in pyromanic) i think. Also note zeus and the greek gods lived on mt olympus. In the Bible lots of holty places are on moutnains. You have already mentioned Moses, but lets not forget Mt Zion and Jerusalem. We also have the other holy mountains like Horeb, Mt Carmel etc.

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

adama & mp

Yeah, but is Jehovah a man? Did he eat with Abraham?

"When the food was ready, Abraham took some yogurt and milk and the roasted meat, and he served it to the men. As they ate, Abraham waited on them in the shade of the trees."

Why was Jehovah interested in gold & silver & food?

• prologos
    prologos

Those that feel compelled to write about the "divine" and fancy themselfs teachers always have new light.

In "Moses" days it was the mountains, later with Solomon,

The whole universe, heavens of heavens could not contain HIM.

They are still working at it.

stay tuned.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Don't go driving yourself nuts trying to make sense of something nonsensical.

• mP
    mP

bytheirwork:

Yeah, but is Jehovah a man? Did he eat with Abraham?

mP:

In a side about way, the simple is yes. Because with kings and priests proclaiming this view and will of god, there is no god. Just like today national churchse are often headed by kings and queens, the same was in the past. God never speaks, everything he officially says comes thru these political humans. They always want obedience, or gold or service. God is a proxy for their human body.

Abraham was god, no Abraham no god. The same goes for everybody else who claims to be gods spokesman.

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

Acheology shows Jehovah/Yahweh as having come from the Shashu tribe of Midian near a large mountain. The Song of Deborah n Judges 5 (Might be the oldest Hebrew in the bible) speaks of Yahweh marching of of Seir (Edom) just north of Midian. The other old work in the bible Exodus 15 (Song od the Sea) although in in the form of a Canaanite epic hym presents Yahweh as moving up from the south and over the Jordan.

Then of course is the whole Mt. Sinai story with Moses.

Another old part of the bible are 'The Acts of David's Mighty Men' in 2 Samuel 21 and 24 (I think ...) and they show Yahweh as being and idol David pours an offering of water out to. Since David in located in Bethleham of Judah (Kenite territory) this again shows Yahweh as originating from the south as a battle/war god.

• clarity
    clarity

Well it sounds like he could be one of those nut cases,

people have to sneak food to him ...with their eyes closed ...mind you!

>

Then it would seem as he ran off ..... he dropped his trousers

...er pulled up his dress and ........and MOONED them!

>

"Thou shall see my back parts" !

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    Why was Jehovah interested in gold & silver & food?

It's how he eventually built a multi-billion dollar publishing and real estate company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit