What is with Jeremiah 5:8 in the NWT

by HowTheBibleWasInvented 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

As already posted im agnostic... But I find the texts of the bible the world's most famous book.

check Jeremiah 5:8 out in the NWT. While thismight now be shocking in the Judean prophets what is shocking is this is a mojor addtion to the text to make it sound vile. Was somebody in the NWT comittie into.... animals?

Sick verse and it's only in the NWT

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

The NET Bible has this to say on Jer. 5:8 which says: "They were like well-fed stallions wild with desire, each lusting for his neighbor's wife." (New Simplified Bible)

NET Bible: "The meanings of these two adjectives are uncertain. The translation of the first adjective is based on assuming that the word is a defectively written participle related to the noun “testicle” (a Hiphil participle ??????????? [ma’ashikhim] from a verb related to ??????? [’eshekh, “testicle”]; cf. Lev 21:20 ) and hence “having testicles” (cf. HALOT 1379 s.v. ??????) instead of the Masoretic form ?????????? (mashkim) from a root ?????? (shakhah), which is otherwise unattested in either verbal or nominal forms. The second adjective is best derived from a verb root meaning “to feed” (a Hophal participle ????????? [muzanim, the Kethib] from a root ???? [zun; cf. BDB 266 s.v. ????] for which there is the cognate noun ?????? [mazon; cf. 2 Chr 11:23 ]). This is more likely than the derivation from a root ????? ([yazan]reading ??????????? [mÿyuzzanim], a Pual participle with the Qere) which is otherwise unattested in verbal or nominal forms and whose meaning is dependent only on a supposed Arabic cognate (cf. HALOT 387 s.v. ?????)."

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

What's the NWT actually say?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

What? No way!! Wierd stuff in the bible??! But how can that be! Neigh neigh.

• zeb
    zeb

Stalions ready to mate with anything that presented. If you know anything about horses.

• mP
    mP

@how

There are a few other scriptures that talk about the penises of horses as well. Religion in ancient judea was fertility oriented or inspired. The hebrew word for holy qadesh comes from the same root as holy prostitute. Given their fanatacism about circumcision this is no surprise. This of course leads to another question, how did they know everybody was circumsized ? Who and when was this checked ? How did others know Jesus was circumcized or for that matter Peter ? How did Peter know some of the believers were not circumciszed. The simple answer is they screwed at the temple to get closer to god and hope for a good harvest, just like their Canaanite neighbours sorry cousins.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Linked here for future reference. (And for the next 6 year old that gets assigned this reading in the TMS.)

Here is the NWT rendering:

(Jeremiah 5:8) . . .Horses seized with sexual heat, having [strong] testicles, they have become. They neigh each one to the wife of his companion.

And a few others.

• Zagor Almanah
    Zagor Almanah

Watchtower perverts many things in NWT Jeremiah 23:36.

John 1:1 is perverted, making Christ a lesser god than God the Father. "Word was God" changed to "Word was a god."

Isaiah 14:12 is perverted where Christ is the one than sinned and not Lucifer (Satan), where the bright morning star fell from heaven.

Compare please Revelation 22:16 what Christ says about himself.

Here you can read more about many of the changes in NWT.

http://www.bible.ca/Jw-NWT.htm

• Zagor Almanah
    Zagor Almanah

http://carm.org/religious-movements/jehovahs-witnesses/bad-translations-jehovahs-witness-bible-new-world-translation

Bad Translations of the Jehovah's Witness Bible, the New World Translation (NWT).

1. Gen. 1:1-2 - "In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
      Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God's active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters," (New World Translation, emphasis added).
      1. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society denies that the Holy Spirit is alive, the third person of the Trinity. Therefore, they have changed the correct translation of "...the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters," to say "...and God's active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters."
      2. Zech. 12:10 - In this verse God is speaking and says, "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son" ( Zech. 12:10, NASB ).
        1. The Jehovah's Witnesses change the word "me" to "the one" so that it says in their Bible, "...they will look upon the one whom they have pierced..."
          Since the Jehovah's Witnesses deny that Jesus is God in flesh, then Zech. 12:10 would present obvious problems--so they changed it.
        2. John 1:1 - They mistranslate the verse as "a god." Again it is because they deny who Jesus is and must change the Bible to make it agree with their theology. The Jehovah's Witness version is this: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."
        3. Col. 1:15-17 - The word "other" is inserted 4 times. It is not in the original Greek, nor is it implied. This is a section where Jesus is described as being the creator of all things. Since the Jehovah's Witness organization believes that Jesus is created, they have inserted the word "other" to show that Jesus was before all "other" things, implying that He is created.
          1. There are two Greek words for "other": heteros, and allos. The first means another of a different kind, and the second means another of the same kind. Neither is used at all in this section of scripture. The Jehovah's Witness have changed the Bible to make it fit their aberrant theology.
          2. Heb. 1:6 - In this verse they translate the Greek word for worship, proskuneo, as "obeisance." Obeisance is a word that means to honor, show respect, even bow down before someone. Since Jesus, to them, is created, then he cannot be worshiped. They have also done this in other verses concerning Jesus, i.e., Matt. 2:2 , 11 ; 14:33 ; 28:9 .
          3. Heb. 1:8 - This is a verse where God the Father is calling Jesus God: "But about the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.'" Since the Jehovah's Witnesses don't agree with that they have changed the Bible, yet again, to agree with their theology. They have translated the verse as "...God is your throne..." The problem with the Jehovah's Witness translation is that this verse is a quote from Psalm 45:6 which, from the Hebrew, can only be translated as "...Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom." To justify their New Testament translation they actually changed the OT verse to agree with their theology, too!

The NWT translation is not a good translation. It has changed the text to suit its own theological bias in many places.

4. HowTheBibleWasInvented
          HowTheBibleWasInvented

Wonderment. Thanks. I never tried the NET. I always used the JPS study bible for annotations and the WEB (copyright free when I posted on youtube) I guess there is a minor valid readion for the WT to translate it that way.

'Dungy idols' is anyone one I shake my head at (The Masoretic text simply has Idols. Never saw dungy)

Mp. Yes Ezekiel 23:20 comes to mind.

As for the 'Diety verses':

Zechariah is Yahweh/Jehovah speaking... the 'him' has no valid basis.

John 1:1 has been debunked by every greek schooloer.

Colossians 1: 15-17 is not a major problem. The NWT adds bracets (Not in the 2006 revisal though )

Hebrews 1:6 Was 'worship in the 1961 version. It was changed in the 1984 revisal. (The Kingdom Interlinier says worship ironicly)

Hebrews 1:8 has been so twisted and disorted in the NWT I wouldn't call it a translation

As an agnostic I don't believe Jesus is Jehovah eiter (Why would a wisdon teacher in the first century be the same as a Sahasu/Kenite god YHW (Jehovah) from probably before 1500BCE lol)

Share this

Google+
        Pinterest
        Reddit