Witnessing to athiests

by zound 22 Replies latest jw friends

• theron ware
    theron ware

The word "atheist" carries so many negative connotations, at least in the US, that I find it self-defeating to say "I'm an atheist" (which I am) if I hope to have a reasonable discussion with someone. I prefer to say "I have no religion." And it's the truth, so I'm not compromising myself by saying it. JW's love people with no religion. They're not scary like atheists.

• zound
    zound

I've been watching alot of debates between Atheists and beleivers. Hitchens, Krauss, Dawkins etc.

Though the believers arguments are ultimately based on false premises and are pretty flimsy - I have to admire the fact that they are willing to debate them publically like that and open themselves and their beliefs up for criticism. A JW wouldn't be caught dead doing anything even close to that. If a householder goes off the JW script (the JW script being a set of Watchtower approved questions) it's pretty much the end of the conversation.

JW's are such cowards!

• zound
    zound

Agree with you theron wave - to even get your foot in the door so to speak with discussion with a JW, you need to downplay certain things so you don't scare them away. The 'A' word is definately one to avoid if you want to prolongue the conversation. You're probably better off saying you're a Satanist than an Atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit