Do JW still hold to their 1984 Doomsday deadline?

by bytheirworks 18 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

"Walter Glass, registrar of the Witnesses’ Tower Bible School of the Gilead,..."

I can't find online any record of a "Walter Glass"!

He is invisible.

Very appropriate for someone with the last name "Glass."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I recall a "Brother U. V. Glass" (Ultra Violet? WoW! Cool name, Bro!) who spoke at many assemblies back in the 60s. might he have been related? Gary Botting's JW experience happened primarily in Canada. Check Canada Bethel?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I remember meeting Glass back in the 90s. He gave the memorial talk at our hall. I was a young teenager in 84...and don't remember too much expectation or talk about 84. Must have been one of those things that circulated more in some areas than in others.

• TD
    TD
    I recall a "Brother U. V. Glass" (Ultra Violet? WoW! Cool name, Bro!) who spoke at many assemblies back in the 60s...

My wife's parents were good friends with Ulysses Glass. He performed their wedding and stayed at their home many times over the years. Glass was the model for 'John' on the inside front cover of the red Revelation book. That's his face.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Tresdecu recalled, " I remember meeting Glass back in the 90s. He gave the memorial talk at our hall. I was a young teenager in 84...and don't remember too much expectation or talk about 84..."

Did you meet the mysterious WALTER Glass, or Ulysses V. Glass?

Perhaps your recollection about 1984 expectations fail you because as a teenager, your thoughts were more gonad-driven at that time.

• Scully
    Scully

I attended a Gilead School graduation at the Stanley Theater when I was 16 or 17. Ulysses Glass was one of the speakers that day.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

he was always that voice in the dramas

• Scully
    Scully

Hi tijkmo,

Long time no see! How are you?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

If anything much was ever made about 1984, then it must have been strictly a local matter. Certainly where I was during those years of the early to mid 1980s, nobody suggested 1984 as seeing in Armegeddon - but then again that could well have been because memories of 1975 were still fresh in most people's minds!

There was indeed a surge of growth in JW numbers during the 1980s, but this had little or nothing to do with the date 1984:

- starting in 1982, a concerted effort was made to contact persons who had either formerly "studied" with the JWs, or who were publishers who had become "inactive."

As a result, for a number of years during the 1980s, the total annual increase in publishers actually exceeded the number of those baptised each year:

- something that is easily confirmed from the Annual Report, as listed in the Jehovahs Witness Yearbooks for those years. (Also something that has never happened either before or since).

Also, unlike the post-1975 crash, this situation continued for several years after 1988:

- thus strongly suggesting that 1984 had very little to do with it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit