Are congregations shrinking?

by logical1 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• logical1
    logical1

I haven't been to a meeting in 7 years but I have cruised through the parking lot of about 4 KH's now during peak meeting times and been surprised to see 20 or less cars in the parking lot.

It always seemed when I was younger that the parking lot was a lot more full.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yup they are getting smaller. In the cong I attended if you got the afternoon slot for the Sunday meeting there would virtually be no youth.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If I get time I will drive past my old K.H, in the old days when I attended, even after we became two congregations, the car park was full. I doubt it is now.

Although the drop in attendance may be somewhat masked by the fact that a lot of JW's from elsewhere, mainly young married couples, have moved in to both Congo's.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

My congregation peaked at around 90 in the 1980s, but it's been stable at around 45 ever since the late 1990s.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the first hand experience SBoy, and yet there must be a good number of Congo's growing here, as the U.K numbers are going up.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

hey seem to stay the same around here though there has been growth as more congregations have been formed in the last 20 years. However, my city is one whose main growth comes from people moving in all the time rather than people being born here, and the congregation growth has been commensurate with the big influx of people moving to the area ie most growth comes from jws moving in from elsewhere.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

In my expererience, the shrinking or growing of any congregration is mostly due to either geographic migration of existing JWs or the ever-present "congregation shoppers" who tend to flock to the most popular congregation of the moment. The latter seems to occur in waves-- either lots of young people all want to hang out together, or pioneers move into a particular hall because there's lots of support, so the numbers bump up over the course of a few years, level off, then slowly trend downward as people move on to seek greener pastures.

R_O

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I know my MILs congregation has been sharing a KH with another for a supposed upcoming new KH but I hear nothing about building a new one and it has been almost a year now.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

They are attending online. No need to waste gas.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Driving all the way to the KH is Passe. Why bother.

We Need New Yaughts!! Brother!!! New Yaughts!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit