Was Your Leaving The Witnesses A Very Gradual Process Or A Quick One?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

For me, it took many years.

Even when I would read all the changes over the years from the "Truth", I still would ignore it and "wait on Jehovah" and try to be a positive force in the congregation.

Eventually, I just couldn't take it anymore and resigned as an elder, and slowly but surely made my fade.

What about you? Were you out, in a short or longer time??

• mind blown
    mind blown

gradual........

• minimus
    minimus

like how long?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

The day we were going to start telling people Mrs. Dazed was pregnant with our 2 nd kid, she was sick with morning sickness and I went to the meeting with my son. It was a Sunday. I talked to 2 people briefly and at the half I got up and left. I never returned to another meeting. I left not thinking it would be my last meeting. About 2 weeks later after missing meetings Mrs. Dazed asked if I was going to meeting. I told her I couldn’t do it anymore.

That was September 2011. For a few months leading up to that day I was not happy. I was publicly reproved earlier in the year for drunkenness. Many in the congregation knew why I was PR’d. No one cared. No one showed support. All the elders knew I had been struggling with alcohol for many years. A few in the hall also knew. After receiving no love or support, I started questioning how this religion could be the “truth.” I questioned how Jehovah could be blessing this org. Then I slowly started learning TTATT. From December 2010 to September 2011, I slowed down and eventually stopped turning in time. Meeting attendance slowed to maybe 5 meetings a month.

January of this year Mrs. Dazed stopped all together. She took a year and a half to tell me, just in case it was a faze I was going through, that she never really believed it was the truth. She told me the whole reason she got baptized in the first place was to date me. She stuck around for so long because of me and her mom being JWs. She was told me “I was ready to leave the “truth” a year after we got married” in 2004. She has always seen and hated the hypocrisy of the cult.

• Laika
    Laika

Gradual over years, it was a series of events leading to it all coming crashing down.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

About 5 minutes..

I told the Elders never to bother me again..Ever..

Self Preservation told them it was a Wise Choice..

......................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Quendi
    Quendi

It took me years to leave. The first doubts came with the November 1, 1995 issue of The Watchtower and its explanation of what a “generation” meant. But like so many others, I buried my misgivings and “waited on Jehovah” to make things clear. Then, in 2003, I began assisting an elder in his research about life in the first century. That research convinced him that the WTS was not what it claimed to be. I was reluctant to agree but after I was disfellowshipped in 2005, I began to see the dark underbelly of the organization. Even so, it took me five more years to finally walk away and never look back. My only regret now is that I didn’t do this when my first suspicions sprouted with that study article.

Quendi

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

born in so gradual from day one

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

A dear friend came for the weekend and showed us the lie and boom that was all it took.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I was in for thirty years, the last ten I was mostly inactive, as in little service time, but I did attend most Sunday meetings. I still thought it was "the truth", but it became harder and harder to force myself to even go to the meetings. My final break, when it came, was quite fast. I realized that following the Watchtowers requirements to stay in a lousy marriage was a huge mistake, in fact everything they taught was crap. I left my husband and the religion, and moved away. I wrote my mom a letter and that was it. My only regret was that it took so long to figure it out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit