Is the world being devastated?

by ablebodiedman 16 Replies latest members private

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

jgnat said: I do hope that more will be done to prevent further warming of our planet.

Nothing will be done. We will keep doing what we are doing until we can't.

• jgnat
    jgnat

But that's not entirely true. Some things are being done.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Nothing on a scale that matters. We should have started 30-40 years ago. A few folks driving a Prius is not going to help that much. Everyone in the world wants to live large like an American thanks to the global marketing machine. Who in the western world, wants to give up anything? I know there are a few that care. We are in a minority. When we try to discuss the topic, we are shouted down as: un-American, communist, pessimistic, etc. Progress and Growth are the only possible outcomes allowed.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If we'd kept at the oil consumption in the seventies, and hadn't gotten smart with new oil reserves, we'd be out of oil by now. The changing circumstances changed people's habits. I have confidence that we'll pull out of this dive. It will be scary, sure.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I predict world population will change course in the next forty years. I think the green line is right. Who knows what pressures will be brought to bear? It might be as innocuous as world peace, or as disastrous as a pandemic. But our world will be a completely different place very soon.

Population

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

jgnat: I agree it will be a very different place. Unfortunately, it will not be one we willingly decided to create. Rather it will be forced upon us, like it or not. IMHO, we as humans, squandered the future of our children and grandchildren for a few more moments of creature comforts and shiny baubles. Hopefully, they will forgive us.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Today is National Overshoot Day in the U.S. Not a day to celebrate. More info here:

http://www.livescience.com/39014-overshoot-day-living-too-large-on-a-finite-planet.html

However, it has nothing to do with the bible. It has to do with the human tendency to think of self first, and not to think at all about long-term problems if it can be avoided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit