Our DC is on now and I...

by Julia Orwell 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

...was just in the yard playing with my cat. Spent ages with my beautiful cat, watching her roll on the lawn and purr. Her fur is unbelievably soft.

We slept in, got up, had a leisurely breakfast knowing we can go at our own pace, tended the chickens, I called my brother; Hubby and I did some housework, played with the cat, and we're off to a lunch date down the local pizza place, knowing we won't have any JWs pass by and snub us or look askance at Hubby's beard because they're all in Brisbane.

It feels a bit funny missing something I've been going to since I was 18, but it also feels good. Hubby seems to enjoy just being able to hang at home without any pressure after a big week at work. Later he'll play a violent samurai-type video game and I'll develop my art and writing.

Not being a JW gives you so much mental space and time to do good in the world like create beautiful things, form lasting relationships, recoup your energy after a big week, give a smile to strangers on the street, help someone...

Who else is feeling the peace since leaving the JW treadmill and internal scouring?

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Julia isn't it a great feeling, living life in a much leisurely way. Enjoy

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Yes Julia I was thinking the same thing today . It was a beautiful sunny day here and I was in the drive way washing and cleaning my car .

I was thinking about how when I was a Witness I use to envy the householders on Saturday morning that were getting chores like this done in a relaxed fashion . I on the other hand was frazzeled because I had to make sure the house was ready for the field service group to meet ,plus make sure my three kids were clean, fed, and ready to go in service . There was never time to really relax ....just pressure ,rush ,move on to the next scheduled meeting ,service ,study . I would choke when the service director would say we could fit everything else in if we served Jehovah first ....I NEVER FOUND that possible .

I absolutely love my free time now and I squander it shamelessly with pride ,and a huge smile on my face !

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, nothing like pottering around at your own pace. I don't have kids, and I remember running around doing JW things, work, family, etc; so how the hell did people with kids manage? Yet there they all were, kids scrubbed up and on time for the meeting, out witnessing with the little ones on a Saturday, and all that. I have no idea how they managed.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I cringe when I think of the hours spent after a long day at work and wanting nothing more than to be at home with my 2 little boys only to have to rush home, wolf down dinner, put them in their suits and go sit through a dull meeting on a long winter night. And the days they sat through assemblies staring off into space. What was the point of putting toddlers or small boys in a suit and tie? How did I buy into all of that? I wish they'd have done away with at least one of the midweek meetings when my boys were little. It would have been a big releif. Instead we were made to feel that missing a meeting was spiritual suicide. Now it's not as important even thought the Bible says to gather together all the more so as you behold the day drawing near.

To this day, I feel a certain giddiness on former "meeting nights" at the thought that I no longer am on that tredmill.

(P.S.) I'm from the west coast U.S but was in Brisbane and Mooloolaba a few months ago...loved it....didn't see any K.Halls though. Where do they hold the D.C. ?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Brisbane Entertainment Centre which is on the north east side of Brisbane, just north of the airport up the highway. A few people have asked me via Facebook if I was going, but I just said "no" and no one really asked why...

I couldn't imagine putting little tiny boys into suits and ties. Most parents around here don't do that, they just put them in some normal sort of smart casual toddler clothes. Must depend on the congregation. Seriously, would God care if your kid was in pajamas?

• Lozza Aussie
    Lozza Aussie

Yes I love the feeling when the conventions come around knowing that there is no mid week meeting and no 3 days of crap to sit through. I quit going to DCs in 2010. Also love the freedom when we have assemblies that I also no longer attend. It's so much more relaxing not to have to worry about such things. I still go to mid week meetings sometimes and weekends of course and field service had been scaled right back. That's enough stress for me to handle in one week. I am working on leaving all together, probably letter of DA. Just hanging to see what happens in 2014. Could be an interesting year ahead me thinks.

Lozza

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Hi Julia!

Everyday I'm thankful to be out of that JW hamster wheel! I have so much more time now to do things I like and want, and being mentally free to do things I want and like. I never realized how much "space" the JW took up in my head.

This summer was the first year missing a DC where I wasn't guilty for 2 weeks. I couldn't go to DC because of my health, so it was so liberating this year!

On a side note: We live in the southwest USA and the DC for this area are always around 4th of July, one of the hottest times of our summers. Going to DC in meeting clothes in summer was horrible. I laughed because this year that weekend when the DC was going on was 100+, I laughed because I thought of all the MS out in the parking lot having to direct traffic in the sweltering heat in full suits. Yup I said it, full suits. I don't know how many times I've seen the ambulance called because a brother passes out from heat exhaustion. Don't even get me started on having to leave and all the traffic being backed up and everyone in a hurry to get out of their. Oy Vey. SO GLAD TO BE DONE WITH THEM!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Mrs Phizzy and I missed the D.C that was held about 7 or 8 months before we actually walked away. Nobody noticed !

Of course we never attended another one. I realised, looking back, that I was desperately unhappy at the D.C's, mind and bum numbingly boring, and so many other things I would rather have been doing.

We still love our Saturday and Sunday mornings, even though we left years ago, there is no pressure, no hurry, long breakfasts and coffee breaks, all we need to do is get a cat to play with and we will be complete !

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Before long you wont even know they have happened..... You willalso realise how little they offered you and your life. i mesn what does an ACTIVE jw miss out on if they dont go lol..... Apart from getting stung by Watchtower by the extra 10-15% paid for 'approved' hotels, nothing much,

snare x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit