Publisher Attendance Records

by Lozza Aussie 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lozza Aussie
    Lozza Aussie

I was sitting at meeting the other night and happen to notice an elder with a sheet of paper with the title of the above post. It appears to have been composed on a computer, not a form printed by the org. On it were all the names of the people in this particular elders group and there were columns for the days of the week when we have our meetings. A tick appeared beside the publishers name assuming they attended on that day or not. Whats with this idea? Is it from the org or is it just the cong i belong to? Has anyone else seen or heard of this happening in their cong? I would be interested to know from others about this. I know our week night meeting attendance is slipping but that's nothing new.

Lozza

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just a Nazi Elder collecting Ammo for when he makes a judgement about the spirituality of his group members.

"Bro Himmler, I would really like to be an appointed man"

"Sorry Bro Brownose, you just miss too many Meetings."

In my day they did not have an official form for the Congregation Meeting Attendance, so the guys responsible made their own ,this guy has gone one further !

Do most Congo's now put the attendance on the Notice Board ? They stopped doing that in my old Congo when it split in to two Congo's , as there would have been a comparison for one Congo to judge the other.

Amazing that "spirituality" is defined in the JW mind by attending boring, pointless meetings, and knocking on doors with a non-message, rather than appreciating a person's, or Congregation's loving christian qualities.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Notice the difference between the two men in this illustration:

(Luke 18:9-14) . . .But he spoke this illustration also to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and who considered the rest as nothing: 10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and began to pray these things to himself, ‘O God, I thank you I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week, I give the tenth of all things I acquire.' 13 But the tax collector standing at a distance was not willing even to raise his eyes heavenward, but kept beating his breast, saying, ‘O God, be gracious to me a sinner.' 14 I tell YOU, This man went down to his home proved more righteous than that man; because everyone that exalts himself will be humiliated, but he that humbles himself will be exalted."

Although the example is short, it is curious that the Pharisee in the example is basing his righteousness on numbers, whereas, the tax collector - a 'numbers' man by profession - makes no mention of any statistical data. I've often wondered if this part of the comparison was intentional by Jesus. The Pharisee in the example was attempting to quantify his spirituality. (Compare also the parable of the talents [Mt 25:14-30] and the example of the widow giving the two small coins [Luke 21:1-4], where how much the individual did or gave was less important than their circumstances and personal effort.)

As far as meeting attendance goes, it is easy to quantify attendance: "Yes" or "No." But how would one quantify a person's health? Economic or job circumstances? etc. Does the statistic keeper know if the person attended a different congregation's meeting? One elder here worked overtime for about a year while his employer introduced a new product line. Do you quit a job that has provided many years of steady income simply because of a relatively short fluxuation?

In the first century, where society was divided up into "rich" and "slaves" and "free persons," not all would have the same opportunities. By its nature, a meeting has to have a set time. But "slaves" would not be in so much control of when they were free to meet. Meeting statistics would tell you who had perfect circumstances and who had abandoned meeting altogether. But they wouldn't help you understand the bulk of people's circumstances.

With regard to meetings, it is interesting that the writer of Hebrews 10:25 says, ". . .not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom. . ." "Not foresking" and making a "custom" of missing meetings is different from saying, 'do not miss any meetings.' The NIV Application Commentary on Hebrews notes about this verse (George H. Guthrie, p. 348):

Another caution is in order with regard to the author's [of Hebrews] challenge to "not give up meeting together." This exhortation has been used at times to exhort church members to attend every meeting offered by the church during the week . . .

The principle behind this part of the author's challenge, however, has to do with consistant involvement in the life of the church rather than frenetic activity in all programs of the church. We as church leaders must not burden people with a guilt trip if they are not at the church five nights a week.

[End of quote.]

I can see where WT regimentation and statistical dependence causes a lot of people to be thrown by the wayside.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm sure it is a form he or another individual jw designed. There are computerized records designed by jws for organizing the school as well besides publisher records cards (attendance record not on it)

Attendance is still by numbers attending only. The congregations don't send in a list to the WTS of those partaking by name...more important I would think.

• sir82
    sir82

There is a blurb in the elders manual about how one of the responsibilities of a "Field service group overseer" is to "keep track of those from his group who are missing from the meeting and render any assistance needed". Of course as we all know "assistance" in this context means "badger them about the 'importance' of never missing meetings".

Most elders just ignore that.

But every once in a while you'll run into someone who takes it seriously and turns himself into an SS man with a checklist.

It is often the newbie elders who take stuff like that the most seriously. Was the note-taker a newbie elder?

• Gayle
    Gayle

Nov 15 WT: The elders must stand ready to help any who may now be wavering in their faith.

I expect, the elders will be on extra watchfulness and 'tracking.' Seems like the WTS expects the 'Great Wavering of 2014!'

• Lozza Aussie
    Lozza Aussie

Thanks for all your comments.

Sir 82 seems this elder has turned himself into an ss man and yes he is a newbie elder (less than 12 mths). Just wanted to know if this has been seen in other congs, I've been around for a while and never came across this crazy idea. I see the meeting attendance figures on the notice board but no names attached to them, just the week and the attendance numbers for our meeting days.

Lozza

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

@bobcat - great comment.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I've seen self-made spreadsheets like this before in my congregation. One elder showed me his spreadsheet and it had a year and half of meeting attendance and I had missed 3 meetings total and he told me that my attendance was "fair".

This is the type of "monitoring" of the congregation that drove me nuts. Brothers with their "dawm" computers who just discovered how to make a spreadsheet think they are doing Jesus a Favor "running" the congregation. Go figure. Small minds building fences.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Phizzy:

Amazing that "spirituality" is defined in the JW mind by attending boring, pointless meetings, and knocking on doors with a non-message, rather than appreciating a person's, or Congregation's loving christian qualities.

--

As Ray pointed out in CoC, the WT's criteria for determining a person's "spirituality" is backwards.

The most important things in a person's life (especially in a JWs life who pretends to be following Christ's example) cannot be counted on a Field Service Report.

If a man works hard to take care of his family, spends time with his children, is morally upright, treats others with kindness, reads his Bible, does charitable works, etc- but only gets 2 hours a month in Service- he will be judged as "spiritually weak"- unimportant in WT Land.

Conversely, you can have a publisher who reports lots of placements and time, but for all practical purposes is someone totally lacking in any redeeming "spiritual" qualities, but he will be counted as "spiritually strong" based solely on numbers on a piece of paper.

WT has JWs focused on all the wrong things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit