Went to Clearwater Florida - Home Base for Scientologists

by skeeter1 7 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Business had me in Clearwater, Florida a few days ago. Never been, but heard it was mecca for Scientologists. As I was near this beautiful, old hotel . . a group of young people were crossing the street. All had on jeans, white shirts, and carried a red sling-type bag. They were on an eager purpose. While I don't know for certain, they struck me as Scientologiest. They were walking near that hotel. Come to find out, that the hotel is Scientology's mother ship.

Luckily, no Scientologist approached me. I had a plan, if approached. I was going to tell them that I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and that all those martians are really demons from Satan . . . . and then ask them if they wanted a Bible study.

Skeeter

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Good one Skeeter. I lived near Clearwater for almost 40 years. I remember a time when down town Clearwater had no Scientologist. About 20 years ago they wanted to build a parking lot but a very large and old water oak was on the site for the parking lot. The city made them move it. I am talking about a tree that was will over 100 years old with a trunk about 8 foot across. It made all the newpaper and TV news when they moved it a couple of blocks away. Than tree survived it. I think it is still going strong. Going towards Clearwater beach there use to be a restaurant on the left side where you could get all the grouper you could eat for a $1.00. That was in the late 60's. That place is long gone. My wife and I spent our first few nights on Clearwater beach on our honeymoon. Clearwater brings back alot of memories for me. Thanks for your insight. Totally ADD

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have an older relative who lives within 10 miles of Clearwater. Great place, great beaches all around there. I have been walking past Scientologist HQ and never approached by the cult members for an "audit" or whatever they do to start a newbie down their cult road.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Sorry for slight , tiny deviation, but made me think, I bumped into some moromons the other day..in my local city here in the UK, i felt so sorry for them, i asked them if they were homesick, they seemed so happy that I was interacting with them and being so friendly. One seemed soooo shocked when I asked if they were from SLC utah, like "how could he know that?"

One asked about my background, i saw his heart sink a little when I told them that for me, I had to stop ignoring questions and doubts in my religion of upbringing, and that when I examined my concerns I was given answers I had to act on. The older of the two nodded knowlingly, I felt so sorry for them, it sincerely made my heart twinge a little. It was a cold wet day and they were in a shitty area of the city, a long way from home.

I hope they both think it all through, but i know it is unlikely....very.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

From what I saw, the construction crews were revamping old buildings. So, it's going to become even prettier in the downtown area. That "flipper" movie about the dolphin that lost her tale - she's in Clearwater. They were saying that that acquarium brings in alot of tourist money, and they have another half housed at a civic center in downtown. Have to go there for a visit.

Sarasota Beach has a place with all you can eat pancakes. Grouper for $1.00, WOW!

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

I live in Cali, and about 5 yrs ago a very good friend of mine basically moved down there to Florida for about 3 yrs, and lived in some Scientology compound. He wasn't allowed to have any contact with outsiders. He would call me from time to time on a payphone, and would talk low, like he didn't want anyone to hear.

It was really odd. He couldn't have a cell-phone, and his free time was very restricted. He wasn't even allowed to write letters to friends or family. He said that they told him it was best to have little contact with outsiders in order that his studies weren't hindered. When I asked him what his eventual goal was in this, he said it was to "Gain Knowledge". But he didn't specify what kind of knowledge.

He's been back for a few months, and this post reminded me that I should get in contact with him. Find out what he learned, then Destroy it.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

I lived and worked in Clearwater late 1970's and when they came up in conversation we would simply comment that their buildings were full of LAWYERS.

Interesting observation by us locals.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Barely 30 hours after Hurricane Ivan virtually destroyed the area, Scientologists pulled up in several 18 wheelers filled with ice, rations, and water.

They beat the National Guard by a good two days, and the Witnesses by a week.

Cool thing was that they hired homeless from the Clearwater area to handle the distribution work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit