researching polytheism of the Jews

by DeWandelaar 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mP
    mP

Interestingly Joshua son of Nun also has a pagan background. Nun was a greek god from Heliopolis, which is where Joseph spent his time in Egypt and also married the daughter of the high priest. Strange for a son of Jacob to marry a pagan priests daughter. Given Jehovah the name was unknown until Moses started his visits to Pharoah, Joshua could not have been his real name. This means the Jo component signifiying Jehovah must be a redaction of some sort. This leads to another question, in this theophoric name. Shua was the male partner of Nun the water godess.

Joshua was also descendant from joseph meaning he was half egyptian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nun_(Bible)

In Aramaic , " nun " means "fish". Thus the Midrash tells: "[T]he son of him whose name was as the name of a fish would lead them [the Israelites] into the land." ( Genesis Rabba 97:3.)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/422462/Nun

Nun, also spelled Nu , oldest of the ancient Egyptian gods and father of Re , the sun god. Nun’s name means “primeval waters,” and he represented the waters of chaos out of which Re-Atum began creation. Nun’s qualities were boundlessness, darkness, and the turbulence of stormy waters; these qualities were personified separately by pairs of deities.

Sorry i cant find the links for shua and yes i know Brit does give Nuns partner as Nunet but as we all know Egyptian gods often had multiple names.

Interstingly one of the gospels also claims that Jesus (who is really called joshua in hebrew) came out of egypt. There are lots of fish and water imagery in jesus life and ministry. even today xians acknowledge this with their fish stickers.

• diamondiiz
  • DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Quote from one post before: Although the origin of Yahweh is controversial, the evidence best seems to indicate that Yahweh started out as a local Midianite or north Arabian god.

According to one of the (false?) books of Jasjer Moses was not only a sherpherd in Midian but was also a very wise King in Midian and one with a magical staff/stick... I do not know about the story in detail or willing to look into it NOW but it is worthwhile to read these chapters as well. It makes clear to me that the Yahweh religion had to come from somewhere. Please note that the Israelites were not familiar with him! Why do I say that? Because Moses had to show them that Yahweh was God... Did they not worship God? Yes they did but they probably did worship "El" and not YHWH!

What is interesting (as I posted briefly before) is the fact that the israelites made a golden calf. Since Moses was a very interesting figure who had been on a mountain it probably was the best time to change the worshipping part as well by finishing off "El" and starting to worship YHWH. That is actually what I see. Thing is that the "execution" of the worshippers was NOT done by YHWH but by levites (from the tribe of Moses AND Aaron). You would think that since it was a sin against God, God himself would have slain them. But no... humans did it.

What is also strange is the fact that many years later Rehobeam wanted to have the Israelites favoritism and started to place two of these calves on strategic places in the region of Israel. This lead even more to a contrast between the YHWH followers and the "El" followers (or am I incorrect about this?).

I never understood the "seperation" as logical since all sons of Israel (Jacob) seemed to follow the one and only God YHWH?!

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Any thoughts about this?

• designs
    designs

Solomon is considered among Jews to be the poster child for liberal acceptance of polytheism. He, according to accounts, built temples to the gods of other cultures because he envied the wealth and social status of the ruling classes in the countries of Africa and the Middle East.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit