Foreign language groups

by dissonance_resolved 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Foreign language groups are the fastest growing groups of JWs in the western world. The best and brightest JWs are drawn to them for the privileges, the challenge, the feeling of being special. But in my experience, being in one of these groups has a side effect. You no longer focus on what is being said/taught/shared, rather you focus on the fact that you are saying/teaching/reading it in Chinese or Russian or French. Therefore, the ones who might have the most chance of waking up if they heard this stuff in their own language are really just further distracted. Step over into Macedonia, shall we?

• CrackingTheWhip
    CrackingTheWhip

Im my opinion, JW's with extra privileges and assignments become the best potential waker uppers. They are no longer aloof to the deception, politics, and hypocrisy. They still need the right person/people to break the mental barrier, though.

• ekruks
    ekruks

They might be fast-growing; the immigrant communities ae in another country, where they don't know the local language and can feel isolated, so when a Jehovah's Witness knocks the door, is polite, even somewhat friendly, it's a very positive experience - the person acceps a study just because the person is welcoming, in a foreign land.

The reality is, most of the persons who join these foreign language groups do it because they are bored with English ministry, so go and try some foreign foods, learn a few phrases, BUT few really STUDY the language. They read prayers translated by interested persons, have sisters translate their talks, etc. and just hope people answered the Watchtower questions right, as they have no idea what was said. Many of these foreign language meetings are conducted in a mix of English and another language - so much for Holy Spirit giving appointed ones skills to complete the tasks, like when the temple was built. This idea that you no longer hear what is being said is not true.

There is a lot of racism within the organisation, or more opposition to languages, i.e. you can be black, but you will speak English - many elders are negative towards foreign language groups, and many in those groups are only fond of them as they don't want to mix with the English. These groups and congregations can be very political, though yes, there are a few that are thought well of, especially if the CO gets positive about it, and such a group will look good, help one progress to be an elder, etc..

• subytrek
    subytrek

I agree about the feeling special part in a foreign language group/cong. I am in one and helped start it about 8 years ago. I also agree that since so much time is taken translating, reading it in the foreign language a lot of times I didn't fully notice what the Watchtower was actually saying. But, I also think the risk of burnout is greater too, since there is usually a smaller number of elders/min. servants to carry the load and that's what happened to me. After that, with more time to think I started noticing inconsitencies and the problems in the religion.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think most who join a FLG from the ranks of Pioneer etc do so to feel special. But this may also stem from a disatisfaction with knocking the doors of empty houses, and when they do find someone in getting told "No thank you".

In a FLG they can feel that they are helping many "into the truth", whereas in reality they are simply language teachers and providing a social club for many in the group, I should imagine.

I remember hearing the complaint that such groups were divisive, as they are not encouraged to integrate with the indigenous JW's.

It also seems that the WT is not actually pushing the idea so much anymore, maybe it is not cost-effective.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We have several foreign language groups here in South Florida.

The ones I am aware of are Portuguese, English and one in Italian.

Hermano Rub a Dub

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

In the northern part of Europe, almost every active publisher , are trying to “hang on” to some publisher who knows something of another language. Everyone knows the native people are if not negative, but in fact hostile to JW:s. Therefore you must find a foreigner or fugitive from some remote country, if you at least want say a few words. Life is not easy for those who is still carry on their preaching

Bugbear

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

It is also a great way to increase you future job opportunities! For example, here in Poland we have many young brothers and sisters that are quite proficient in English and the number of English speaking groups and congregations is increasing. We have a lot of foreigners moving here for economic reasons and most of them speak English (it is easier for a Pole to communicate in English with someone from China than bother to learn Chinese, although they do that too!)

At the same time we have a lot of Global companies outsourcing to Poland and you chances of finding employment go up considerably if you speak fairly fluent English. At the last DA for English I went to in July, there were lots of upscale BMW's and Volvo SUV's in the parking lot. Coincidence? I think not.

• hijosdelawatch
    hijosdelawatch

I have to admit that I moved to a foreign language group years ago because I was bored of the same sh*t. Life was tedious and boring in my average local congo. Plus, I could practice the language. Then, I moved again to another foreign group to learn a new language. Most of my young JW friends did the same.

That's why I guess that there are few real Jehovah's witnesses believers in heart, especially young people. Lots of young people are living in a performance, a world of hypocrisy and double life. They need stimulus to stay in Watchtowerland. Of course, there are real believers but they're a minority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit