Growing Up Gay in Russia

by Quendi 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I want to share this piece for several reasons. The most important is the plight of LGBT people in Russia. Nothing has changed for them in the more than twenty years since the USSR imploded. Another relates to Eric Snowden. I have repeatedly said I understand his reason for being a whistle-blower on the subject of domestic surveillance. His leaks have forced some change—albeit a modest one—in the way the Obama administration is addressing this subject. However, Snowden’s choice of Russia as a refuge was an egregious one that cannot be defended for any reason. This link underlines just one of many reasons why I believe this.

A third reason relates to the homophobia of the WTS. While not as virulent in action as Russia’s, its effect on gay, lesbian and bi-sexual Witnesses is the same. I was lucky in that somehow I survived until I was disfellowshipped and subsequently left the religion. However, I know others were not and they fell victim to suicide.

There’s still a long way to go for LGBT people, but we are making progress. Same-sex marriage is becoming a reality in more nations around the world. Discrimination against us is being attacked in the courts, in legislatures, in business and other arenas. Attitudes are changing. Anyway, read the following for yourselves. I’d be interested in your thoughts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wes-hurley/growing-up-gay-in-russia_b_3735143.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

Quendi

• cantleave
    cantleave

There’s still a long way to go for LGBT people, but we are making progress.

Indeed. Russia is just one country that shows such intolerance, many country on the African continent still execute practising homosexuals, much of this persecution is promoted by religion and the writings of ignorant men. Once the power of religions and ridiculous myths and legends are undermined for all time, Humankind can really start to progress.

• Mum
    Mum

And they were not even Christians . . .

This is the 21st century, people! It's time we accept people for who they are (unless they're hurting themselves or others).

The article confirmed my belief about one thing: The same thugs would be in charge regardless of the form of government. Most of them have no philosophy, just self-promotion and self-absorbtion/narcissism.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Snowden has proven himself to be nothing more than a self centered prick. His useful whistleblowing has been a subject of protest for years. Since the Patriot Act first came about. Suddenly it's a shocker?? Yet he chooses to find refuge in Putin's Russia???? This man longs for the days of KGB. Human rights issues have regressed a decade at least.

That there is a discussion on this subject at the forefront is a great thing, but quite frankly, the fallout is not worth it. We have had this knowledge, and chose to ignore it. Shame on us.

• scotoma
    scotoma

If you had a choice between what is really an indeterminate time in Russia or life in prison in the USA which would you choose? All the other countries were beat into USA submission on this issue. Even Germany where Merkel resents the fact that her government was being spied, on caved in US economic pressure. There were only two pieces left on the chess board - King and a Pawn. The pawn had to go somewhere.

I'm glad Snowden brought this back to our attention. Before some crazy Neo-Conservatives come back to power.

Obama is starting to talk about safe guards. Of course he is tring to jump on the train after it left the station. His claim that he was "planning" on reviewing the whole privacy issue is something that was going on in his mind. Yeah after the budget. After implementing healthcare. It was not a high priority for his administration.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit