When Jehovah's Witnesses changed from Society to Religion and why

by Terry 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Judge J.F. Rutherford created many oddball ideas in his tenure as Society President. None was nuttier than his polemical rant,

RELIGION is a SNARE and a RACKET 1939 2.0 MB

http://www.jwbrothers.org/videos/715/

Because of his unnecessarily poisonous attack on every denomination except his own, he had thrown many draft-age young Bible Students and later Jehovah's Witnesses under the bus.

When, in WWI, the brothers sought exemptions on religious conscience grounds, they could not convince local draft boards they had any formal religion or coherent beliefs because Pastor Russell had been totally against ORGANIZATION.

There was no formal statement of orthodoxy and all I.B.S.A. (International Bible Students Association) members were democratic in believing whatever they damned well pleased!

later, in 1929, Romans 13.1 was flipped into an inside out excuse for refusing civilian service.

Jehovah’s Witnesses stood aloof by claiming they were not a religion; just a bible society and they further decried their label as pacifist because they were total advocates of War of the great day of God the Almighty.

In 1937 in the book Enemies, J.F. Rutherford painted all religions with the same broad brush.

“ Strange as it may seem, the two
    words "Christian" and "religion" are diametrically
    opposed one to the other. ”

The greatest racket ever invented and practiced
    is that of religion.

Clearly this was a tactical mistake that could cost the Society three kinds of important exemptions.

1. Religious exemption in time of war for their ministers whether full or part-time.
    2. Tax exemption for their corporation
    3. Real estate exemption for their property holdings (including Kingdom Halls)

A reversal of position was vitally necessary.

President Rutherford died in 1942. Now it would no directly embarrass the man if exemptions were sought.

To avoid loss of exemption it had become necessary to finesse the absolute statements of President Rutherford when applying for the above exemptions although none of it was made public until 1950 in a book written by the former Vice-President of the Society and Attorney, Hayden C. Covington. In his book, “Defending and legally establishing the Good News”:

“The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc., is incorporated under the laws of the State of New York for charitable, religious, and scientific purposes.

The unincorporated bodies of persons known as Jehovah’s witnesses hold in common certain religious tenets and beliefs and recognize as their terrestrial governing organization the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc.

By their adherence to the organization of this religious corporation, the unincorporated body of Jehovah's Witnesses are considered to constitute a recognized religious sect.”
    --Vol.II Opinion No.14, National Headquarters, Selective Service System, November 2, 1942.

United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, in Hull v Stalter, 151F. 2d 633 (1945), said:

“The fact is, they have been recognized by the Selective Service System as a religious organization and are entitled to the same treatment as the members of any other religious organization...”

What can we conclude from the above?

1. Jehovah's Witnesses were and are a RELIGION while claiming they weren't just for the sake of polemic.

2.Jehovah's Witnesses were demanding draft exemptions while claiming to NOT be Pacifist.

3.Brothers weren't allowed to take alternate community service to avoid prison so a ridiculous reason was hatched.

Pretending there was no Superior Authority other than Jehovah and Jesus to be subjected to, the Society twisted scripture for their own purposes. But, not to worry! They twisted it back in 1962!

4. Few JW's noticed they had actually become a "religion" because the "technicality" was buried in Covington's legal booklet.

It should further not surprise anybody that as early as 1934, the Society's corporations sought Tax Exemption as

charitable and benevolent societies.

"By orders of the commissioner of Internal Revenue, United States Treasurey Department, under dates of November 9, 1934, March 22, 1935, April 24, 1935, April 23, 1938, September 1, 1942, and June 17, 1946, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc. (a New Yourk corporation) and Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society (a Pennsylvania corporation), were held to be entitled to exemption from the making of income tax returns under the Federal Internal Revenue Act because such societies were charitable corporations engaged in religious activity.
    ...have been declared exempt also from the payment of taxes on real estate owned and used by the for carrying out the chartered purposes of the societies because such societies are benevolent and engaged in religious activity."

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

The book of enimies! I would be interseted in that!

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

I see this pattern every where. People don't stop and consider trajectory. Are they really supporting something they grasp and understand? or are they supporting it because of social pressure from others? Do they agree with direction it's heading (Religion, Politics, Philosophy, etc)? When I was in the Watchtower I never considered how much the society had changed from where it first started, to where it is now, I just went along because I assumed the way things were done and interpreted were for the best reasons, and under the guidance of 'the spirit'. Obviously many things change over time in the natural world. One can argue, the caterpillar transforms into the butterfly. All I see is a different creature all together, where the watchtower is concerned - though to be fair, any semblance of humanity within the organization comes from the individuals within, before the actual collective. Where it's written that Jesus said, "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:20 (NIV) I know he wasn't promoting an oligarchy - the GB. http://www.blueletterbible.org/

• Terry
    Terry

The more I study and research the history of the Watchtower Society the more I see a creepy collection of disturbed minds so aflutter with

shattering the peace of others they simply could not leave anything alone without changing it.

Have you ever seen another organization so permanently in "tamper" mode?

Rutherford had his hands on everything. He was a meddlesome nit.

He was like the big neighborhood dog who pees on everything to claim it for his own.

Morbid minds fascinated with leaving fingerprints on the Universe dwell and have always dwelled in Bethel Headquarters.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Hi Truthseeker674

Here is a copy of that book in PDF.

Enemies By Judge Rutherford

Bangalore

• startingover
    startingover

Terry, you have a PM

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thanks Terry,

Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time and combat the "religious tax exemption" given to the WTBTS?

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Thanks Bangalore growing up in this cult I thought I'd seen it all. Never seen this before I'll read it when I'm board.

• Terry
    Terry

Let's face it, there are Seven Million Jehovah's witnesses and maybe five hundred of them know the Society's history.

That is one reason to prevent higher education. It would be disastrous if all JW kids went to college and learned how to look up

citations and references and discovered how logic is used.

The more we put each puzzle piece in its place, the more clearly the Big Picture emerges.

When I finish my book I hope to not ever think about the Watchtower bible and tract society again!!

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

By the late 1920's J.F.Rutherford had all but completely push the founder (C.T.Russell) right out the picture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit