Former Longtime Elder : Contributions

by James Jackson 40 Replies latest jw friends

• St George of England
    St George of England

Most of it computerised now, I think the WTS found it difficult to find MS's that could actually count.

In my congregation one sister provides about 90% of the 'Congregation Account' income. She is in her 90's and poor health. I hate to think what will happen when she goes; they will probably have to raid the WWW contributions. They have done it before.

George

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

We always gave the contributions by check for the three different boxes along with the DA and the CA. My hubby also worked on many KH projects and gave supplies and his labor. One day about two years before we left he just decided he was done with giving to them and would only put money in the literature box and I would still do the DA and CA. I finally asked him and he said they don't need our money, he had part of it figured out but not the hole picture. After we found out the truth we were so glad we stopped supporting them and giving them our hard earned money. It feels good to give to a charity that is worthy of our money not one that pays off people because of their protecting pedofiles.

For a year now, I have been handling the Accounts. We have 6 Elders and 7 MS, and none of them ( I am not Serving), want to do the Accounts, so they asked me to do it. Here is what I have noticed.

They don't want this privilige??? Huh? What a nice attitude. What happened with the 'here am I, send me' attitude?

4 elderly sisters cover the whole congregation in donations monthly! We have 74 pubs. We take in $800-1000 a month (3 congregations share the expenses). Nobody uses cash, just checks, so I know.

Only 1 Elder is faithfully giving each month. 2 of them I have only seen give twice in a year. The other 3, NOTHING!!! Only 1 MS have I seen give a check, and it was a one time deal. The other 6, NOTHING!!! Is this just weird or what?

I used to transfer about $ 60 each month at the congregations bank account. Automatically, so I wouldn't forget it. And tax deductible ofcourse.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Is there a seperate contribution box for a new building fund? You mentioned three congregations sharing . Are there three sharing the same hall?

Cuuld the healthy meeting attendance be due to the congregations combining, if that is what is happening?

Just curious.

• nugget
    nugget

We used to have a direct debit go out each month and even when we were struggling the congregation got paid. When we woke up it was the first thing we cancelled.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

I haven't contributed since my early teens...even before knowing TTATT...even when I contributed, it would be about at the beginning of each year...and I'd contribute about 5 bucks every January.

While living in South Florida, things got hard for some the brothers, some lost jobs/home...reduction at the workplace...I can't see how they do it, because some of them were making minimum wage...yikes!!!

Peace

Kool Jo

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Also I know some jws "vote with their pocketbook/wallet" when they feel they can't leave but don't want to support WTS policies.

Kinda what I thought. . .

Doc

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Where I am, Midwest US, semi-rural area, abt 120 publishers, there are tfour separate donation boxes. Each month they post on the board the finance report.

local funds donated: 2000-2200 monthly

world wide work: 400-500 monthly

SW Ohio assembly hall building project: 400 monthly

KH building fund worldwide: 100 monthly

They frequently have to make an announcement near the end of a month that there is a need for donations, as it is difficult for this congregation to come up with 2800-3200 each month. Yet somehow they do.

The SW Ohio Assembly hall project is becoming a joke. They announced the plans 2 years ago to sell Indianapolis Indiana and London Ohio assembly halls and build a new and better one in Cincinnati, Ohio area, and the need to collect about 8 million dollars. To date, neither of the old buildings is sold and they haven't even purchased the property yet for the new hall. Yet they continue to collect the money. I for one am starting to wonder what the WT is doing with the money.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

At our Kingdom Hall, 3 congregations meet at various times, sharing the expenses.

Yearly, Per the Society, each congregation is acessed $8.84 per pub($726), to go toward the "The Traveling Overseer''s Auto and Health Insurance".

Also, the "Society" has asked each congregation, to send in a set amount (we decided $40) toward the KH assistance fund, even though individual pubs can contribute to this fund in a seperate box.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Some years ago when I was "priveleged" to handle accounts I noticed it was mostly the poor and lame that contributed. The exception was a smarmy "brother" who screwed around on both of his two wives, was a chronic public drunk, lost three businesses due to tax fraud, and had a mouth that would make even the most hardened Marine or sailor blush, and routinely flipped the bird in public at the American flag who made very sizable contributions courtesy of embezzeled business money. I personally won't give one nickel to an organization that operates like that. Thank Gawd I am no longer active.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit