Moving to Memphis

by scary21 10 Replies latest jw friends

• scary21
    scary21

My husband and I are moving to Memphis soon. I have never been there. Does anyone have any info. One thing I like is no harsh winters.

It's scary but exciting moving to a new place. I hate not knowing one single person. Do you know what that is like? LONELY

Scary Sherry

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Hope the best for you. It is always scary to go to a new place.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Neely's Interstate Barbeque.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I hope you will be happy. I drove through there years ago but can't remember much about it but my sister lives in eastern TN and it is gorgeous.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I have heard that there can be some pretty bad places to find yourself so please know where your going before taking off nilly willy.

Know where NOT to go,...

NJY

• Mum
    Mum

I am from eastern Tennessee, and Anunt Fancy is right: it's gorgeous!

Memphis is in the southwest corner of Tennessee, on the Arkansas border and the Mississippi border. I don't like it. However, I have to credit Memphis with having had some great musicians: B. B. King, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, just to name a few. I understand there is a great music scene there to this day. But the city itself is not charming. It's on the Mississippi River, but you probably already know that.

Once I drove over the Mississippi border, and it was as if I'd entered a third-world country. I was told by a tourist here that he sends his kids to a great private school in Mississippi, somewhere near Memphis.

Every city has things you will like and things you will not. I hope you will find good friends in Memphis and have a wonderful life there.

• Mum
    Mum

Speking of moving somewhere and not knowing anybody, I had to do this as a child when I went to two different hospitals at different times for extended treatment (4 months and 9 months, respectively). I was 8 months old the first time, and was about 60 miles from home. My family was very poor, and I'm not sure how much they were able to visit. I think I disconnected from them emotionally and made attachments to the hospital personnel and my fellow patients. My mom used to tell me I was "standoffish," but, clearly, she did not understand the emotional impact of such an experience at such a young age.

The second time was 2 days after my 7th birthday, and it was 200 or so miles from home. I was very fearful at first, but my fellow patients went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

I'm not as anxious as a "normal" person about making changes. You'll probably adapt quickly and have a not-so-lonely life very quickly. It's not as overwhelming as you think.

• finally awake
    finally awake

ive been to memphis a couple of times for vwork. good bbq, terrible traffic.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Sent you a PM. Check it out when you get a chance.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Memphis is a dangerous place to live. Stay out of the bad areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Memphis,_Tennessee

Just a few miles south of Memphis is Southaven, Mississippi and Horn Lake, MS. These areas are thriving economically, and they are very safe. As you can imagine, many people work in Memphis, but live elsewhere.

You will never have to shovel snow in Memphis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit