Once a nerd, always a nerd :)

by freeflyingfaerie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• rmt1
    rmt1

I chased high GPA, at a great opportunity cost of real-world skill sets, because that's what I thought was most antithetical to the JW lifestyle. I thought having a comprehensive cerebral map of reality was what would heal me fastest of JW bullshit trauma. Having gotten summa cum laude at this great opportunity cost, I submit that this method is NOT the most antithetical to the JW lifestyle, and therefore is NOT the fastest way to be healed of JW bullshit trauma. I submit that real world skill sets that can answer a fellow human's problem, as fast as you are capable, and send them on their way, is actually the thing JWs hate hate hate HATE more than any cerebral ivory tower you can place yourself in. Skill sets, and the knowledge of a job well done, and the knowledge of being appreciated, will get you dopamine, serotonin, and oxytocin. Also, cerebral knowledge does not or cannot leverage the kinesthetic learning of your limbs which have neurons all through them, or muscle memory. Skill sets and a record of aid in distress to fellow humans will do more on a resume or CV than a cold number of the high 3.xx variety. Skill sets will also teach you who you are faster than getting a high GPA. If you are faced with a choice of how much to devote to GPA and how much to devote to real world skill sets (this occurred in my first degree), and your temptation is to go for GPA, you should think about taking the harder road and concentrate on employable skill sets. Let the GPA take care of itself. In the working world you will be dismayed at how much money is made for how little nicety, finesse, subtlety, etc, that isn't immediately related to the job at hand. To put this in one last frame of reference, the investment in high GPA, which is locked knowledge and a lot of cerebral learning skills, depreciates in this economy faster than having modular skills that leverage muscle memory and can be updated constantly as needed. Just imho.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Thanks, rmt1~

I hear what you are saying. A high GPA is certainly not my goal in life. I enjoy learning, and it is rewarding to see that I did well... had I not recieved those grades, I wouldn't be less of a person for it. For sure going to college is not a way to 'get back' at the JW entity, or even 'the ultimate' way to heal. Healing seems to happen in time and without so much force...I am living my life~ raising my little ones, growing my little independent business, teaching yoga, dancing, going to college... I do get these rushes of joy when I think upon the realization that my lifestyle now is only possible because I chose to leave the religion...I thank my self for that often...and I'm sure my little ones will too

I'm living my life, not to spite JW or anything/one. That would take too much energy. I imagine that I am peacefully swimming along...

• rmt1
    rmt1

My mistake. I made an assumption about where you were in your academic career. Then made a fool of myself attempting to articulate the unnecessary.

I agree that 'to spite' a thing takes a lot of energy. It's a costly behavior and may not pay you back. Whereas, 'Living well is the best revenge' both benefits you and is not spite, and isn't Really revenge. I suppose how much cerebral hospitalization or convalescence you require depends on how much cerebral trauma you endured.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

It's totally fine.. you didn't make a fool of yourself. It was good to hear from you.

College is a new world for me, so I'm taking it all in..

I'm not super-ambitious by nature, so who knows where this may go... it has been a good experience so far

'cerebral hospitalization'/convalescence ~ it has been like coming out of a coma that I was always in.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

what a total geek. durrrr, look at me with my fancy college degree. ill be out in field service, and when you die atarmagedddon ill move into your house. ps. i offer a window cleaning specil on 2+ levels but you will be cleaning my house is the new system.

cheers.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

hi fakesmile, lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit