Noah's Ark and the flood

by confusedandalone 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

So this morning I was thinking about a few things that hit me like a ton of bricks:

1. God destroyed the entire earth because man was evil - yet right after he destroyed them for being evil he said that he will never destroy all of manking again BECAUSE THE ARE EVIL...

2. God asked Noah to bring two of every kind on the ark. Then he gets off the ark and sacrifices some of these animals. Without any to replace them. Instant extinction.

3. Lastly I am freaking pissed at Noah. If that self-righteous dude would just have committed some sin god could have destroyed everything and just started over without these thousands of years of suffering. So one faithful dude was the cause of all our suffering.

4. Also who went to the south pole and got the penguins and POLAR BAAARES. Who got the KOALA's

5. What the hell did the animals do that they had to die??? There is no reason for that.

• hannes
    hannes

@ confusedandalone

To have to die and eventually suffer death is the saddest thing on earth. And I feared it all my life. I sometimes cry when I hear of loss and dying. None of those living in those days would have lived to this day. They all would have died. There are much more horrible deaths than drowning. Horrible is the expectation of the pain and the loss of everything. The dying happens so fast there is not much pain and thinking.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

God asked Noah to bring two of every kind on the ark. Then he gets off the ark and sacrifices some of these animals. Without any to replace them. Instant extinction.

There were SEVEN of each of the "clean" animals taken onto the ark. Supposedly this would allow for sacrifices (and perhaps some approved for food).

At least that's how I recall it explained as a kid.

Doc

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

It appears that bits of it can be rationalized but as a whole the story seems non-sensical.

I wonder sometimes as I read these things why I actually believed so easily that they did take place, without any critical thinking.

So much of it just seems ridiculous now but at the time I never even thought to rationalize it

• *lost*
    *lost*

My understanding is - without checking scripture - God actually said he would not destroy the EARTH again.

What is so special and important about mankind that God should make them promises of 'protection'.

Mankind is responsible of many heinous barbaric acts towards each other, the animal kingdom, and the earth itself.

What is so special about mankind ?

Why should he receive divine protection or rights ?

Man has made many species of animals extinct, why should not man face his own extinction, by his own hand,

the same as he has executed against 'creation'.

• cofty
    cofty
    Man has made many species of animals extinct

More than 99% of the species that have ever existed went extinct before Homo sapiens made an appearance 200 000 years ago.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Tell that to the Dodo, which was slaughtered enmasse, and the Barbary Lion, just 2 examples.

Extinction of a species due to adverse changes in living conditions in the natural environment and food supply is one thing, mass extinction at the hands of ignorant men is quite another.

eg the Bee's, the Northern American Wolves, the American Bison, the African Elephants, the magnificent Mountain Gorilla's, the White and Black Rhino, the Snow Leopard etc are just a few examples of some of the present endangered species.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

And don't forget this all happened (according to the WTS in 2370 BC). And did I mention that according to the WTS the incident at the Tower of Babel occurred some time after that? So that would leave what, 180 years (if you are generous and divide in half) for all of ancient history to have occurred before Abraham arrived in Egypt. So to summarize: the WTS is suggesting that 'evidently' all Sumerian and Egyptian history was compressed into 180 years (because before the Tower of Babel all the earth continued to be of one language - so there could not be Sumerians or Egyptians prior to that).

Notice how the WTS dances around when the great pyramids were built.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Cofty - can you list those species. and your source for the data.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I think Cofty should ignore Lost at all times. Lost doesn't do any critical thinking or reading of her own. Just demand answers and spout nonsense.

On the flood, you are right on all those thoughts. They DO NOT make sense. Destroying the animals was dumb. It makes no sense for supposed all knowing god. A simple virus could have wiped out mankind and preserved the animals. It is silly to think that a magical god needed to use a water flood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit