The Fake "Joy" Of Jehovah's Witnesses

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I have always appreciated the organization's position that "joy" is an outward expression of an internal condition. If that is the case, then there sure are a lot of people who need to have their "innards" checked! I have not seen any evidence of "joy" for quite some time, and those that profess to be "joyful" are as duplicitous and disingenuous as they come! A false joy is simply evidence of a false hope!

SOP

• VM44
    VM44

Phony Joy?

• CrackingTheWhip
    CrackingTheWhip

They MUST be happy, because God is happy, its a command. And their load is light. So it must be real. (Sarcasm)

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

False Bravado, yet a pompous cult

• rmt1
    rmt1

In central PA there was a Mount Joy congregation. There was also a blonde girl named Joy who thought I was ok while I was pioneering. Then my best friend at the time would meaningfully inquire if I was going to Mount Joy. I've still never been to Mount Joy, but I'm sure it's a swell place.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Gopher's right - they're afraid not to appear happy. I feel sad for them that their lives are like 'jam' said - they really think there's no reason for joy - all fear. 'cause if you're not happy then you're doing something wrong, ie: not 'serving Jehovah with a willing heart' or some other such demeaning 'encouragement'. What unnecessary pressure.

One good thing happens when the dissonance between what they're supposed to feel and what they really do feel causes the epiphany that, "this doesn't feel like joy(or justice or love) because it isn't!"

Sometimes it takes extreme examples, of which the wt is rife, to finally make that break. Then they fade right out.

w

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

In the last congregation I was in their greatest joy came from back bitting everyone. I never saw such a hateful place. Also drinking was a great joy to many also. Totally ADD

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

I was shocked when I recently visited my JW family. The way they gossiped about and relished the hardships of their 'spiritual brothers and sisters'.

Hardly a kind word about anybody that I used to know.

I was remembering how one 'sister' used to be nice to us as teenagers, arranging get togethers and parties for young people, etc. I was then informed that she ended up marrying some guy that beat her all the time to the extent of hospitaliztion, etc, and she even was beaten badly enough once that her teeth were chipped.

My mom's comment was 'She may have been nice to young people but she just doesn't have a lick of common sense'.

Really mother?! Really!!??

Such joy!!!! I felt so 'discouraged (TM)' after hanging with the JW's again for a single day. They are a real downer. Fact.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

... and yeah, .... alcohol bottles around the house. My family didn't drink when they were 'worldly'.

Pathetic.

• blondie
    blondie

If jws admit they are unhappy, the elders will say they are not praying enough, not studying enough, not preaching enough...after all the elders are all happy, all the time.

Most paint on a smile so they aren't judged weak and share with the few they trust. Too many feel or are made the feel it is their fault they are sad. I can remember a WT article that had 2 elders trying to help a depressed sister, suggesting she was hiding some serious sin. Not being able to think of any "serious" sins (worthy of df'ing) she asked if it would help if she made up one.....

*** w82 6/1 p. 10 An Educated Tongue—“To Encourage the Weary” ***

Depressed persons often feel overwhelmed with guilt for no legitimate reason. Insight will help elders to recognize such situations. One depressed Christian who deeply appreciated the visits of her loving shepherds to help her was convinced that she had lost God’s spirit. “Really, try to think hard and see if there is something bad you’ve done,” said an elder at one point. The woman just sat there and cried. “But I can’t think of anything. Do you want me to make something up? Will that help?” she sobbed. The elders got the point and tried other ways to help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit