Protest at district convention in Budapest, Hungary

by cedars 31 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHncQUnkq94

Whatever your thoughts on the shouting, displaying a simple web address is an extremely effective and non-confrontational way of getting the message across - and in this case it looks like hundreds if not thousands of Witnesses saw it.

Cedars

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Looks like Rick Fearon is on vacation in Hungary.

• nugget
    nugget

They all seemed very good natured about it which was nice to see and their happy demeanor was a change from the intensity and serious approach to some other protests of this nature. I think it would have been useful if the message was printed on both sides of the banner so pedestrians walking past could also read it.

It was a shame that there was no translation as I would have been fascinated to hear what some of the wirnesses were saying although I think I could have given it an educated guess.

• designs
    designs

What was the group's point.

• cedars
    cedars

Yes, I agree that it's a shame we can't know what was said, and what the response was.

If I were doing that sort of thing, I would have stayed silent. Just showing the web address so prominently is effective enough in my opinion. Adding any kind of vocal backdrop merely adds further antagonism to an already tense stand-off, but I can understand those who see things differently and want to respectfully voice their feelings.

Cedars

• designs
    designs

It looked like one protester had a Bible in his hand talking to the older JW? That to me is when the wheels fall of the cart- Religion v Religion. My religion is right and yours to doodoo.

• cedars
    cedars

I just received this information from the guy who uploaded the video and arranged the protest.

In particular, I asked him whether he experienced any increase in visits to his website. This was his response...

We got 250-300 new visitors in the next few days from the 8,500 who attended the convention. As you can see, more than half of those who passed us didn't appear to represent the demographic that would use the internet. So approximately 5% of our main target group visited our website. We awaited them with a special blog post, a collection of our best articles: http://jehovatanui.blog.hu/2013/07/28/kedves_latogato_899

Reactions: Some were friendly, some confrontational. Some approached us, mainly interested ones, some said they are reading our website. One brother (we think an organizer) tried to damage the posters, but we stopped him.

Here is what I shouted at them:

'Don't listen to the false prophets, they're changing their doctrines all the time, they just need you money!'

'What was true yesterday will be false tomorrow! Read the Biblie only, it doesn't change!'

'My parents were JWs, I was raised as a JW for 17 years, but they have escaped after 22 years!'

'They exploit you. They only want your free labor and money!'

Some responded: "You can be proud of yourself!" "Nooo, noo, noo liars!" "Thank you for your service!" "Oh gooood! What is your truth?" "Your beard?" (to which I answered: "Russell and Jesus also had beards!"]

He is also offering to add English subtitles to the video if there is sufficient interest.

Cedars

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

On the website referenced in the banner there is a scan of the convention program. Two talks are highlighted:

DC Program 2013 - Hungarian

The day is Saturday, the highlighted talks are: the "Beware of Apostates!" symposium and the afternoon talk, "The Truth Brings "Not Peace, But a Sword."

Interesting!

• designs
    designs

'Read the Bible' thought so, religious group, back to the drawing board.

Sadly this type of protestor is only changing one delusion for another.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Cedars -how do you manage to get all this stuff. Btw oh and I realy enjoy the articles you write to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit