Really enjoyed the CONvention....why?

by punkofnice 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• moley
    moley

When i was in, a large group of us would go to a waterside pub in Exeter on the sunday after the convention. Was a good time to meet up with friends you only see once or twice a year and i remember the spiritual conversations about some of the talks and especially the dramas. They went along the line of "what was that about", or how deluded those giving experinces were and just alot of plain old ridicule. Alot of it coming from those i thought were stong in the troof. I think thats the only thing i miss about the borg. I often wonder how many of those old friends are still in.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The correct party line for convention attendees is: "This was a truley the best convention ever!" or something similar. Like puppets on a string we would all sing that mantra thinking this made the Corporation sock puppet Jehovah happy.

I'm sure the fear of being DF'd for lack of loyalty to the Corporation has had a lot to with the 100% approval rating of yearly conventions by the rank and file as they fear saying anything not in accord with the party line. The pressure is so great towards conformity that they even believe what they say is what they really feel.

• rmt1
    rmt1

My parents took me to the July 1973 DC in Veteran's Stadium, Philly. I was two weeks old. I don't remember much from that one.

• dozy
    dozy

It is just something everybody seems conditioned to say. In reality - most people find the meetings & assemblies pretty boring , other than meeting up with old friends.

What always annoyed me was when people waxed lyrically about how "wonderful" an assembly it was yet when it came to the assembly review at the next meeting ( which used to held on the first service meeting after the assembly ) they didn't have any comments to make at all during the meeting.

Invariably I was assigned one of these items and it was like pulling teeth getting anybody to put their hands up. At one elders meeting we spoke about a lack of particicpation in the meetings ( a constant problem in our congregation ) and I asked the body why it was that all of their wives raved about what wonderful conventions or assemblies we had yet none of them ever bothered giving even a single comment during the review. Surely if they enjoyed the assembly so much they could recall something from the program a few days later or be motivated to give a single comment about a particular point they enjoyed.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

.....and yet I couldn't recall a single ''point(TM)'' made. I couldn't remember what it was that actually made me feel good.

This is quite common for JWS, for they go through the same doctrinal teachings repetitively, so while people are

actually there they kind of tune themselves out more or less especially at Assemblies.

The actual good feeling people resolve themselves in is actually acknowledging that the thing is finally over.

The painful boredom of sitting for long lengths of time has come to a close.

..... But of course no JWS would outwardly admit that.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the whole freaking 3 days are a mass hypnosis, from the early keen arrivals on day 1 through to the dumb experiences and crappy drama , concluding with the last song which can raise the roof and the final stupid closing prayer that drags on for what seems hours, thank God these things are nothing more than a distant memory.

• stillin
    stillin

The looks of joy seen on the "friends" faces at intermission and after sessions are simply relief that it's finally over.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Yikes !!! I am way out of step with you guys.

I DID genuinely enjoy most assemblies. Well, not every talk - candidly, some were terrible. But my heart was often deeply moved, as I imagined that this was a foretaste of NW living, with brothers working together in unity.

All that because I was a true believer.

I was caught as a kid (well, more accurately I jumped into the bear trap) and possessing a deep idealism, I genuinely believed that this was God's way and longed to see Jesus rule the world and re-fashion me. Assemblies helped my stay faithful.

Ooooh! well, we all make mistakes, dont we (grin) ????????????????????????

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I always liked the pageantry and catching up with people. More than anything, it was a great social adventure.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I remember in the beginning I would enjoy the conventions and feel encouraged, but then I had children, and the conventions became a burden, riding a bus an hour each way, and trying to keep two young ones quiet for hours, while broiling in the sun, just left me exhausted. Later, I was just bored. I would try to take notes to stay focused (found out later I had ADD), but really, it all just seemed like the same stuff they said last year, you were not doing enough, you were not good enough, bla, bla, bla. I began to resent spending my time, energy and money on something so futile. When others would remark that they felt spiritually refreshed, I was wondering if they were insane, or perhaps had attended a different convention. By the end, I didn't even bother going.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit