Is there an Almighty Dog ?

by Phizzy 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just because there is no proof for an Almighty Dog, it doesn't mean there isn't one, absence of proof is not proof of absence.

He probably eats the merely Mighty Dog "Hearty beef dinner" , they won't produce one especially just for Him.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Wow, imagine that. Supreme dog pooh to tread in. How great would that be to put in a lit paper bag on someone's doorstep after ringing the bell?

As for the original question I have to say that knowing or not knowing doesn't alter my life. The question about the ale is a real poser though!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yes, the Supreme Ale may be a problem to prove, it may only exist for you.

The original question is not about the existence of a Supreme Dog or Supreme Being, but is to ask, is it necessary in Philosophy and in Logic that there be a Supreme Being ?

The God Squad seem to assume that it is a necessary philosophical construct, and then proceed to tell you that their particular god is the Supreme being, but why do we need one ?

Why cannot all Beings be equal ? some more equal than others of course.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Phizzy - I would hope we base our philosophy around reality. Trouble is reality is a bit of a snookeroo. I'm sure we all perceive our own reality.

Indeed WHY do we need something bigger. We don't unless it's true. Even if there is something bigger we may not need it we just need to grow up.

It reminds me of when I had a pushbike I wanted a moped. When I got a moped I wanted a motorbike. When I got a motorbike I wanted to get a bigger CC. When I got a bigger CC I wanted an even bigger CC and so on and so fifth.

Believers seem to rely on a big daddy figure to make it all right. It seems to me at least, to be a left over from being a child. Humans are a slow developing species of crap.

As Quentin Crisp intimated that if everyone got what we deserved we'd all be shot. (How that fits I don't know but I just felt the urge to use it).

I did a-level philosophy at tech but dropped out as it was just a glorified history lesson and I got bored with Plato's Republic.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A further Philosophical question about the Supreme Being, if He/She existed.

How would He/She know they were the Supreme Being ? How could they be sure there wasn't a bigger CC version, perhaps with a Super-charger, elsewhere ?

How could they be sure they were not really the Moped of Supreme Beings ? (Obviously the Supreme bit would be a misnomer).

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Phizzy -

How would He/She know they were the Supreme Being ?

Perhaps they wouldn't. Which makes me wonder if WE are the supreme beings all along. God Imaginary sky daddy help the universe if we are

How could they be sure there wasn't a bigger CC version, perhaps with a Super-charger, elsewhere ?

Only if the bigger CC overtook us on life's highway and we couldn't keep up? Gods to infinity is the next puzzle.

How could they be sure they were not really the Moped of Supreme Beings ? (Obviously the Supreme bit would be a misnomer).

Perhaps they have dominion over the push bikes of beings?

• processor
  • adamah
    adamah

BOTR said-

On a serious note, there are several paragraphs in a variety of C.S. Lewis books where be proves that humans and dog need not fear separation in heaven. Hell may simply be the absence of dogs. Before I experienced a dog, I would have thought Lewis bonkers.

C.S. Lewis was likely familiar with the Mahabharata, an ancient epic work from India which was written circa 500BC, and is widely regarded as being a great feat of literature, alongside the Bible, Shakespeare, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata

In the concluding scene of the epic tale, the protagonist (virtuous Yudhisthira) is accompanied by a stray dog to the peak of a mountain to ascend into Heaven; the dog has faithfully stayed by his master's side throughout the long journey. When Heaven's gatekeeper tells him that dogs aren't allowed in Heaven, Yudhisthira refuses to enter, saying that he cannot abandon the animal who's been faithful to him. The gatekeeper promises to put the dog to death painlessly and mercifully so it doesn't starve to death, but Yushisthira still refuses to abandon the stray dog.

At that point, the dog reveals himself to be the god Yama Dharmaraja, who tells him that he passed the final test after having demonstrated the highest virtue: showing love for another living being that had shown loyalty to him; he then takes Yudhisthira into the afterlife who rejoins his decased family members.

That's a very advanced and sophisticated message that's STILL found at the heart of Hindu beliefs even today, and it deserves comparison to Judaism, which advocated KILLING "only" animals in order to supposedly atone for the sins of humans.

The 1960's CBS series 'Twilight Zone' (Rod Serling) featured the same theme in an old episode written by screenwriter Earl Hamner, Jr (who later wrote for "The Waltons", drawing on his folksie writing style, which stemmed from being raised in the South as a good ol' boy) which was also clearly based on the final scene of Mahabharata.

Here's the final scene of the Twilight Zone, which conveys the same message (and it's a "can't miss" for anyone who has ever loved, or been loved by a dog):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L1BSnxH4b4

Adamah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit