Considered for Recommendation as Elder but Declined

by ProfCNJ 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

ProfCNJ, interesting experience, especially with your posting here while being considered for an elder.

I grew up with my father as an elder, I worked at branches around the world and on a first hand basis worked with a wide range of "elders" in the branches and congregations, some of them professing to be of the annoited. Some where royal jerks and very headstrong on their personal opinions, others were all right.

I still was not prepared for the heated fight I witnessed at my first elders meeting after appointment, between the PO and a group of elders who were frustrated that they were not more prominent. Further, after years of serving as a quality elder, (didn't try to make too many waves, concentrated on what was important scripturally), I was not prepared for the hatchet wielded upon me from elders who I considered my "friends". When you are young you can be naive and think that you can make a difference but in reality you are assimilated into the machine.

Many elders that are appointed have no other area in life that they feel respected. The secular jobs they have are low respect jobs and no one ever listens to them. So when someone asks them about being an elder they are eager; they are eager to find a place where they can wield their authority, get up on a stage in a suit and act authoritative. Many brothers sincerely believe that they are appointed by God to "run" the congregation, and that means "run" peoples personal lives.

I've seen elders put pressure on families and individuals about things that were by a long shot not the congregations business. I was known for raising my hand during elders meeting and asking, "And why is this any of the congregations business"? or "Where do we get the authority from the scriptures to believe we have any business in this personal matter?" There was so much time wasted talking about stuff that was not the elders business.

For example, There was a young couple that were getting married. There was some competition between this engaged couple and the PO's (COBE) family. The PO's daughter and wife were the source of the competition. The young couple were not even getting married in the Kingdom Hall, but the PO privately went around to all elders and servants and asked if they were planning on attending the wedding. If an elder or servant was planning on attending the wedding, then they would receive a 15 minute speech about all the reasons not to attend.

The PO repeatedly went to the Elder that was giving the talk at the wedding, and did everything he could to make this brother not give the talk. His approach was a mix of harassment and hounder. The PO made the comment to me that the couple needed to get a Justice of the Peace to marry them.

I told him to mind his own business, and if he decided not to go that was his business, but for him and his wife to privately go around in the congregation to influence people not to go, was innappriopiate, unloving, and downright hateful. I don't know about you, but this crappy experience I had is not what I thought being an elder meant and it was from this point afterward that I no longer wanted to serve.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• L3G
    L3G

Well, ProfCNJ, now that you've read still more of the wonderful experiences of being an elder, aren't you happy you turned it down?? Your last reason was the most conscientious and moral—congratulations.

As for a scriptural reason, you might try 1 Tim. 3:1 and stress the first word: "IF any man is reaching out..." I remember a brother working with me in service, and while we were going from house to house, I pointed out the "if" here, and he stopped dead in his tracks. He was so imbued with the WT party line that every male MUST be reaching out that he was stunned. I asked him, if we all should, then why does the passage say, "If?" Of course, he couldn't answer. If there is a supposed party line answer, it is probably something like, "Well, Jehovah recognizes that there will always be some male derelicts in the congregation. That's why the 'if' is there."

I know one elder who stepped down after he kept being forced into the mold that he could not play, sometimes due to his disagreeing with the politics and party line. He had to go thru all the humiliation and gossip about why he was deleted. The BOE tried to mitigate this by reappointing him immediately as a MS, but it still went on. It was better for you not to put yourself thru what he had to.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

It was good that I became an elder. As a MS, everything appeared nice. When I became an elder, the real world of the cong came to light. The elders fighting among themselves. The demands of the cong and the co were awful. I would never have imagined that I would be visiting this site, but when I was removed as an elder, this site was an encouragement to me.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Reason No. 3 on why I declined. I posted on Cedar's thread re: Shocking Shunning Talk of family members in the District Convention.

I told myself "If I become an elder, how can I possibly defend this practice when I myself have doubts on its very rational?" All Christian practices should be deeply rooted on our Lord Jesus Christ's teachings and the early Christians culture. Rejecting a family member, not talking to him/her, shunning him completely, is MORE than treating him/her as an enemy. And our Lord Jesus Christ in Matthew 5:43-47 is saying otherwise.

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

I also turned down the offer.

I just said ..."I don't want to be an Elder. This is between me and Jehovah.

And BTW I don't want to pioneer either."

I haven't heard anything since then and that was three years ago.

But I am still a MS..

Hmmmm

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Wise decision. Now celebrate!

Carpe Diem!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit