'Mentally diseased' was nothing new

by The Quiet One 14 Replies latest jw friends

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
  • steve2
    steve2

As an observation on propaganda, there are certain 'natural ' tactics that have worked so well over the millenia that even a mono-celled flea would recognize, if not use them. So whether utilized by communist states or theocratic states or some other groups or individuals, certain themes repeat. The concept of demonizing identified groups of people you may want eradicated is a very old propaganda tactic beloved of the "True" God of the ancients and collected together in a motley collection of manuscripts that were later sifted, sorted and annotated into a tidy collection of books we now call the Old Testament or Hebrew Scriptures. The peoples occupying the promised land that Yahweh designated for His "Chosen Ones" were vilified and portrayed as evil,worthy of being eradicated to a last breathing one, including babies and old people. No need to cite the wickedness of our last century for shock-horror examples of propaganda when you can dip into a rich seam of pungently godly propaganda in ancient scriptures ( just don't tell true believers that their loving "God" is the most efficient propagandist of them all, okay?).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    steve2 - "As an observation on propaganda, there are certain 'natural' tactics that have worked so well over the millenia that even a mono-celled flea would recognize, if not use them. So whether utilized by communist states or theocratic states or some other groups or individuals, certain themes repeat."

Yup, that s**t works.

• SAHS
    SAHS

In the 20th century, under the old Soviet Union, the Russian communists would put people into some kind of prison or “reeducation centre” if they had dissenting political views which became known. I believe this practice was also done under the Chinese communists. It’s been a common theme, as a kind of anthropological/psychological control tactic, which not only seeks to cause people to question the morality and veracity of other people but also to question their own sanity.

In other words, as such coltrol groups think: “If a person’s viewpoint ain’t agree with our policy, then they ain’t sane.” As the popular saying goes, which “Vidiot” sort of alluded to: “Same sh^t, different day.”

• steve2
    steve2

Treating beliefs as if they are colors to be changed lies at the heart of most belief systems.

I can order myself to paint the room yellow. I can order myself to change the color to blue. I can then change my mind and paint it yellow. Easy if the paint and motivation is on hand.

But I cannot order myself into and then out of belief.

That is why organizations have to try every trick and tactic in the book to provide other reasons to change beliefs.

The most compelling reason to believe something is not because God will kill you if you don't. The most compelling reason to believe something is to avoid the threat of your group punishing you if you do not believe it. Belief by itself is not sufficient. You need the stick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit