Dating - with an added bonus!

by l p 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• l p
    l p

Well all,

Its taken some time for me to get back into the dating game.

I have started online dating. But alas I have had 2 interesting dates. Ive managed to question both individuals beliefs potentially destabilising thier beliefs (1 without knowing and the other was intentional).

Both individuals were of very strict religions (greek orthodox and coptic orthodox). How I end up on these dates I don't know when I put on my profile Im agnostic/atheist.

Anyhow the most recent one was the most fun. He was the coptic orthodox. A psychiatrist. I managed to ask him how on earth a psychiatrist believes in god? and I was laughing. He couldnt answer that.

I told him that I am on the agnostic-athiest spectrum. We had a deep discussion about religion and the bible.

I just said that I couldn't believe that there is a god or at the very least a god that is interested in human affairs and wants humans to live life in a certain manner when he/she/it does not communicate. I said - you wanted to kknow me and vice versa and we met and introduced ourselves so that we both knew who the other was. There was no confusion. God could easily speak from the heavens and introduce himself to human kind and give directions on how to live life. Then I followed up that people would be determined as "mentally ill" if they professed hearing god speaking to them and giving them directions or orders (No pun intended - but loved the pun!) He had absolutely no response because he knew that kind of individual would be quickly medicated by himself!! haha

then I went on to ask - so would you want your family to be in the same religion and go to church? he replied with a nod. I then said well why don't you look for a wife in your own religion? he gave a pissy answer that wasnt an answer.

I asked - well what would happen if one of your children decided at 14 or so that they did not agree with the teachings or want to follow or practice your religion? he then replied that he would be disappointed and that like the prodigal son he would hope that they would correct their way.

I then asked - are there any repercussions if a child decided to leave? he replied "as in excommunication?" I said yes. He said no - they would obviously live in the same house and i just said that some religions use the prodigal son parable to justify excommunication.

Well first for me - go on a date with a psychiatrist and make the psychiatrist so uncomfortable that he had absolutely no answer to any of the questions/issues I posed!

What an intelligent man!

Lp

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You and I will get some heat for picking on a psychiatrist that believes in the 'imaginary friend' but I get where you come from there.

I hope at least he should be able to talk about his beliefs/religion in a third-person sort of way where he sees how it may look silly, but it gives him a sense of belonging or whatever it does for him.

I am a great admirer of Steve Hassan, the author of COMBATTING CULT MIND CONTROL, and it seems that he remains somewhat faithful to a belief system, but it also sounds like he could put it aside in conversation or explain it in such a way as to help another see why he 'believes.'

Excellent point on anyone saying they hear from/speak with God nowadays. Except for the very rare individual believer on an ego trip, firm believers today seem to avoid admitting to an actual voice from God. They "just know" from a feeling, or circumstances guide them to know that God is there for them. So it goes back to the imaginary friend, except he doesn't actually speak.

• MrMillion
    MrMillion

thats what i enjoy about online dating. You meet all kind of people. Even the bad ones are fun to meet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit