My story... how do I deal with my family from here?

by unfamiliar 9 Replies latest jw friends

• unfamiliar
    unfamiliar

Hi everyone!

Nice to "meet" you all :)
    I have been reading this forum for maybe a month now, and it has helped me answer alot of questions that I have had, and I must say I am extremely glad I found this forum, so full of information!
    I'll tell my story, I'll try to keep it short.
    I grew up with my whole family being jw. My mum, dad, brother and his wife, sister, grandparents, all baptized. I am now 28 and I never have been baptized myself
    I was never convinced it was the truth, if you forget about being a kid and just accepting everything your parents tell you. Later I became afraid to ask questions. When I did ask questions, the answers never satisfied me (even tho sometimes i made myself think they did in a way), and I never KEPT asking when I wasn't happy with the answers because I knew they had nothing new to add, that was it. I also knew they'd be bothered by it if I didn't accept it as the truth. So basically I have just "pretended" to accept things. My dad has held weekly bible studies with my mum, sister and me even tho I have lived away from home for 10 years. I actually thought that was normal up to a point, so I just kept doing it.

My dad is a very manipulative man. Not only when it comes to his beliefs but also other things. He doesn't come off that way to others, as far as I know. People often comment on how wonderful a man he is. Truth is he has been an alcoholic for over fourty years now (drinking only at night) and him and my mum has successfully hid this from me all these years. This is now something they're dealing with and he seems to be changing a bit, also being more accepting. I bring this up because we had a family day and they read a letter for my dad (i wasn't there, but my mum, bro and sis were) that I had written. I wrote what I thought about him, things that made me angry etc., and I needed to also tell him in a small sentence that I basically didn't want him to force his religion on me, but said in a slightly nicer way. I thought this was going to do the trick, but later i realized nobody really reacted to that part of the letter (as far as I could tell because nobody said anything about it) so I felt like I needed to say it even more directly and detailed in a separate letter...
    So... I wrote a short letter and explained. I said the truth, that I don't believe what he and my family believes, and that I don't believe in the same god as he does. I only said that I believe there might be some higher power. I told him I do not wish to try to change their beliefs or opinions, and I don't want to discuss things with him because of that.

I said this to him while he was still in rehab, and he listened patiently on the phone to what I had written down and just accepted and agreed that "of course, no problem" and so on. I texted the "letter" to my closest family too, so that I can be open about it. My mum said she was sad about it, but that "we can still do nice things together". My brother sent me a thumbs up and my sis said she loves me regardless. When it comes to my sister, after this happened, she seemed very different than what she wrote in the text. In the text she was all accepting and proud that I said how I felt. But after, she was all weird and quiet and asked things like "but what are you going to do with your life?". I wanted to say "uh, live it?" but i said something like "hmm I think we can talk about those things later" because I am still so early in the process that I want time to think about what to say first. My dad had said to my sister that he accepted it and guessed it was okay, but had given the impression that "I'm sure we can get her back!".

This is my problem. Even though I am very happy I was never baptized and face being disfellowshipped... I still feel outside the family now. This is only a couple of days ago that I did this. But I had to.

I told my mum it wasn't their "fault" that I didn't believe it anymore, that there is nothing they can do to convince me, it's just "how it is". I also told them that they can still talk normally about things with eachother when I am there as long as they keep in mind and RESPECT that I think differently. I won't sit there and debate them, I just want respect. But I don't think that will happen. I am afraid my dad will KEEP spending every minute I am there telling me things like "oh look at that beautiful butterfly, isn't it amazing what Jehovah designed?" or "there's a great new article on *whatever topic*, let me find it for you, here you go".

I want them to respect that I will NEVER believe what they do. I feel that it is as simple as brainwashing. I can't explain it any other way. But I will never tell them that unless they ask directly, because I don't want to change them or take their beliefs away from them. I want them to do the same for me....

Is it possible? Can I have that?

What I know is I don't believe in the bible the way they do (what I believe is something I need to find out on my own), I don't respect their way of treating other people, I don't believe what they teach is right, I am angry with them for letting SO many people and KIDS die because they refuse blood because of 8 random men in Brooklyn! Just a few random things I cannot stand about it.

I have a couple of friends from my childhood (who are jw's) trying to get back in touch with me... but I have been somewhat avoiding it (seen them a couple times but tried not to have too much contact) because I know we won't have much in common... their main interest will always be being a jw. I can't be myself with them and still be friends. I feel bad for not contacting them, and I'd feel it was wrong if I did, also if I did and they ignored me because I said I am not interested in their religion, I'd feel just more depressed than what I already do.

I have only two people in my life now that I can invite to my home that aren't jw. My boyfriend, and a regular friend, she's a bit older than me. It is SO good to talk to my boyfriend about NORMAL things, you have no idea. Up to very recently I was SO closed about my beliefs (i THOUGHT I had to protect the jw's way of thinking, and so I was very defensive and we had many arguments (mine based on ... nothing) about religion, evolution etc.

I opened up to him, and slowly I started thinking "hey, maybe I don't have to pretend I am like a jw for the rest of my life? or... is that illegal?!". I still feel it's illegal, but I do it now. I just bought BOOKS about SCIENCE and EVOLUTION, and stories from ex jw's! It feels so good to be finally free, but I only have one person (soon two) to share it with. That's why I wanted to share it here. But ..

I really want and need some input. How do I deal with my family from here? What do I say to make them not try to "get me back"? I just started reading about things, and all I know is that I don't believe what they do, but I am afraid to discuss with them (if they tried to start a discussion, I won't do that out of respect (oh and fear haha) because they always come up with some weird reply that they think eliminates my doubt completely, when it doesn't to me.

Omg btw, I just watched the danish movie Worlds Apart! That last line made me sob so much, it said exactly how I have felt for a while now...
    "God Jehovah, this is the last time I'll speak to you. Because I don't believe in you anymore."

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

unfamiliar: Welcome. My advice to you is to continue to learn about TTATT, information is the greatest weapon we have. When it comes to your family, patience. The biggest tree in the world startyed with only a small seed! Stay on the forum and continue to reard and WRITE things down so that you can remember them later. Best wishes

Christian love

Affectionately: Brother of the Hawk ( I will surrender my mind no more, forever)

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome unfamiliar, I'm sorry that most of your family is JW. Your JW family will do whatever they believe will save you spiritually. Look on the brightside you have the rest of your life to enjoy, be happy, get a better education, and make more non-JW friends who will love you unconditionally.

If you want to have a closer relationship with your JW family, I would recommend that you do the following to both help your JW family, and to help you to overcome any hidden WTBTS's phobias that you may have and get past any anger that you may have that is directed at your JW family and friends:

• Post as much as possible on JWN to either vent your frustrations and to ask for help about specific topices. It is better to vent your frustrations on JWN then to JWs and JW apologists.
    • Visit websites such as www.jwfacts.com, www.watchtowerdocuments.com, and www.jwsurvey.org, and www.freeminds2.org to name a few to research the WTBTS's history and changes in doctrines.
    • Visit Steve Hassan's website www.freedomofmind.com to learn more about the BITE control techniques that the WTBTS does use and how to overcome them. If you cannot afford to purchase Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book)"Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), see if you can either checkout his books at the library or at least watch the following two videos of Steve Hassan at least twice: "Steve Hassan explains SIA method to rescue loved ones from unhealthy situations (2003)" and "Steve Hassan at NYC Ethical Culture Society February 2013. If you are thinking of marrying your boyfriend, share information about the BITE model with your boyfriend so that he will understand you and your JW families relationship dynamics.
    • Make more non-JW friends that you would enjoy spending time with. By the way where do you live? If you live in the USA, I would recommend visiting sites like www.meetup.com and using an internet search browser to locate activities where you live that you might enjoy doing. If you need to talk to people face to face about your JW experiences, there are many ex-JW meetup groups across the USA that are listed on http://ex-jehovahs-witnesses.meetup.com/.
    • Start asking your JW family members simple questions to help them to critically think for themselves. Reading Steve Hassan's books and posting specific questions on JWN will help you to help your JW family members. I would start with the "Spiritually Weakest" (still thinking) JW family member first to practise your technique. You could discuss how Jesus Christ condemned the Pharisees in the Bible for burdening Jews with an exhaustive list of rules and that he promised that Our Father in Heaven would send the Holy Spirit to his followers? Let your JW family members connect the dots about how the WTBTS and the Pharisees behave almost the same.
    • Ask your JW family members to do fun things with you, to do fun things with non-JWs, and/or to learn about topics that will take a lot of time away from attending WTBTS meetings and reading WTBTS's propaganda. A very time comsuming topic to learn and one that will help you and your JW family members later in life is to learn about investing. If you lived in the USA, I would recommend going to the TD Ameritrade website and learn how to use ThinkorSwim to learn more about investing.

Best of wishes for you and your JW family members to critically think for themselves and successfully fading from the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Welcome to the forum. One thing in your favor is that you were never baptized. Hubby [Brother of the hawk] is right, don't tell him I said that, but read and investigate www.JWSurvey, this website you can search just about any subject on here. www.jwstruggle & www.jwfacts.com

Peace on your journey to learn the real truth.

NE

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Oh wow, Unfamiliar. You are among people here who understand. Most of us have had similar experiences breaking free. I will keep my comments short, just to say that this is all new for your parents and family.

A bad choice of words on my part, but they will need time to be trained on acceptable behaviour with you. It sounds like you are not going to bring up topics to them to disrepect what they believe and are simply asking for the same courtesy. They will have to learn this new family norm. It is new to them. They will get it after a few friendly reminders.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Be Strong. Have some balls.

Best,

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome! Congrats on never getting dunked as a JW.

"How do I deal with my family from here? What do I say to make them not try to "get me back"?"

What they will do or say is hard to predict. For starters, since it sounds like your time spent with them is at their house, option #1 is always to make an excuse to just leave.

"I am afraid my dad will KEEP spending every minute I am there telling me things like "oh look at that beautiful butterfly, isn't it amazing what Jehovah designed?""

Response: "Yes, and isn't it amazing the way Jehovah designed female mosquitoes to eat blood? And not just one species of mosquitoes, there are 3500 discovered unique species. And such a loving design by Jehovah for these mosquitoes to spread deadly diseases such as malaria and West Nile virus. Annually, mosquitoes transmit disease to more that 700 million people, that's nearly 100 people infected for every JW publisher. Since West Nile virus was discovered in 1937, scientists say that it evolved from some other virus. However, Bible teachings would require us to believe that Jesus has been creating diseases like WNv and HIV since he was enthrowned in 1914. Mosquiteos truly are an amazing creation of Jehovah, telling us so very much about his personality."

• unfamiliar
    unfamiliar

"I am afraid my dad will KEEP spending every minute I am there telling me things like "oh look at that beautiful butterfly, isn't it amazing what Jehovah designed?""

Response: "Yes, and isn't it amazing the way Jehovah designed female mosquitoes to eat blood? And not just one species of mosquitoes, there are 3500 discovered unique species. And such a loving design by Jehovah for these mosquitoes to spread deadly diseases such as malaria and West Nile virus. Annually, mosquitoes transmit disease to more that 700 million people, that's nearly 100 people infected for every JW publisher. Since West Nile virus was discovered in 1937, scientists say that it evolved from some other virus. However, Bible teachings would require us to believe that Jesus has been creating diseases like WNv and HIV since he was enthrowned in 1914. Mosquiteos truly are an amazing creation of Jehovah, telling us so very much about his personality." Hahha, Billy the Ex-Bethelite, good one, I'll use that if he decides to go there, but you know... he'll probably reply that god works in mysterious ways! You can never win with him.

Thank you all for so much good information, kind words and welcomes! Now I have some new websites to visit besides here as well! :)

Oh and I live in Norway, so us sites for people who want to meet won't really help, but I actually found that ONE friend I have besides my boyfriend through a "find new friends" website. Lol!

... oh and I even ordered a TTATT bracelet...

....and one more interesting thing. I did a "what religion fits you best" test. Out of 27, jehovah's witnesses was nr. 27 with 0% surprise, surprise.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If I understand correctly, your bombshell was dropped while Dad was in Rehab. That would have been a tough time for all. Oh, you were probably right to deliver it then, as they push him to get in touch with feelings and family connections and all. It just may have been tough for the entire family at such a moment in time.

I want them to respect that I will NEVER believe what they do.

You may have to settle for respect for you as an individual person instead. They are under the mind-control of the JW's. I highly recommend Steve Hassan's website and books, as already mentioned.

But live your life. Be someone they can respect. Make all this religious stuff very unimportant in conversations. You can learn from Steve Hassan's books (and/or others) that reaching people under religion's spell involves connecting on other levels- family events, education, goals, accomplishments, grieving and laughing together.

Keep up the good work.

• Thor
    Thor

Hi and welcome!

Try to just be loving with your family, and give it lots of time!

Mrs. Thor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit