Wisdom Personified

by ozziepost 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• accuracy
    accuracy

A check of commentaries on 1 Corinthians demonstrates aptly that there are many interpretations of Paul's linking Christ with God's wisdom, and, of course, one is entitled to one's interpretation. Ideally, however, a convincing interpretation will not negate the plain sense of what Paul is saying specifically. He is not saying that, in a metaphysical sense, Christ = God's wisdom, or that Christ is the totality of God's wisdom. What he is saying simply is that the Christ salvation event, or as commonly put, "Christ crucified," is the Divine wisdom that turns human wisdom upside down and that, in the larger context, creates a new, saved community. But it first starts with Christ as the representative of, the vehicle of, this wisdom. Or, as bible scholar F. F.Bruce puts it in his commentary here, in this matter Christ becomes the personification or "embodiment" of Divine wisdom. (The International Bible Commentary, Zondervan, 1986, p. 1352). In a similar way Wisdom is personified or "embodied" in Proverbs 8.

I am not partial to one interpretation or another, except that for me, the fundamental meanings of the Greek text have to be taken into consideration. Context informs text, but it cannot negate text. Text must serve as legal limits or bounds of interpretation. Otherwise, we have chaos.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

I am in agreement.

But I don't call it interpretation. That is from God and never wrong.

I call it understanding. That can be adjusted as necessary. :)

• accuracy
    accuracy

I was using the word "interpretation" as it is generally understood. But you are right. -- Genesis 40:8

• kes152
    kes152

Finally, to those who cling to the interpretation that it refers to Jesus, please refer to verse 21:

“to cause those loving me to take possession of substance; and their storehouses I keep filled”
    (“bestowing wealth on those who love me and making their treasuries full.” – NIV)

Should this be taken then to mean that you will be materially rich in this system of things?

Have you forgotten .....

"a never-failing treasure in the heavens, where a thief does not get near nor moth consumes. For where your treasure is, there your hearts will be also."

"Stop storing up for yourselves treasures on the earth ...... Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven .... "

"I know your tribulation and your poverty, but YOU are RICH..."

This "true wisdom" IS Jesus' actual description before his coming in the flesh.

Peace,
    Aaron

• kes152
    kes152

Gopher,

It seems more straightforward to believe that he created an individual who would be a container of his wisdom.

This is what "true wisdom" said when he was before his father, Jah, and also before his mother (Yes, he DOES have a mother, just like YOU have a mother)....

Proverbs 4:4-9

If you read Proverbs 1:20-22, "true wisdom" is talking, not Solomon. But notice that from Prov. 1:22 all the way to 2:1 wisdom is TILL talking. In fact "true wisdom" keeps talking all the way to 7:27. And then "true wisdom" starts talking AGAIN in 8:4 all the way to 8:36. Then again in 9:4-17. Then it is "Proverb of Solomon" in 10:1.

Peace to you,
    Aaron

• Gopher
    Gopher

Aaron,

You've got me thinking now. I had always thought that the wisdom discussed in the first seven chapters of Proverbs involved general wisdom from God rather than referring to Jesus. I guess reasonable arguments could be made either way.

Thanks for pointing out that the actual sayings of King Solomon start at chapter 10 verse 1. I had seen that before, but skipped right over it!

Regards,
    Gopher

• kes152
    kes152

Hi pomegranate:

you said:

If Satan could use a serpent to talk through to Eve, and we know the serpent wasn't Satan, but it WAS Satan talking, do you think God in His power could have used a burning bush angel as the visual to talk to Moses through, as the same type of tool Satan used.

By human terms: Ventriloquism.

However, my Lord said:

"The Adversary WAS that serpent. A serpent is NOT a snake. For if a serpent was a snake ..... how then can a snake be cursed to crawl on its belly if it already does that?"

A "serpent" is actually a "seraph." Certain angels with wings that are fire colored and have the appearance of a 'snake.' Hence, they are MORE liken to 'dragons.' Snakes with legs (a lizard) then add wings, you have a dragon.

Peace,
    Aaron

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    A serpent is NOT a snake.

Well...Have you examined the Hebrew?

OT:5175
    nachash (naw-khawsh'); from OT:5172; a snake (from its hiss):

Notice the word in Hebrew does mean snake, coming from it's "hiss." It gets more interesting when we look at the primitive root of the word:

OT:5172
    nachash (naw-khash'); a primitive root; properly, to hiss, i.e. whisper a (magic) spell; generally, to prognosticate

Interesting huh? Now you can see why magic and devination are against God. They "root" from Satan the snake/serpent, just like when Satan was "hissing" in the ear of Eve. What was Satan's magic spell over Eve? "You can be like God."

Actually then, the correct rendering of the Hebrew word WOULD be snake according to the lexicon. Most Bibles use the word serpent.

Do you use a dictionary?

ser·pent (sûrpnt) n.

1. A reptile of the order Serpentes; a snake.
    2. Often Serpent. Satan.
    3. A subtle, sly, or treacherous person.

But hey, you can believe what ever the heck you want.

• kes152
    kes152

No problem pomegranate;

my question to you is:

"how was it this snake didn't crawl on its belly BEFORE it was cursed?"

Genesis 3:14

Peace to you,
    Aaron

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Ozzie,

as you already know the "opinions"
    seem to be different...it could go either ways.
    Take a look at this two "Bible students":

PROVERBS: THAT MEN MAY KNOW WISDOM
    by Ray C. Stedman

" Life can never be understood except in relationship to God. Life is simply too big for us to handle by ourselves. No matter how good the advice seems to be, if it isn't consistent with what God has told us, it is not to be trusted. And that is the conclusion that is reached through these opening chapters. Chapters 8 and 9 personify the two ways of life. Wisdom is seen as a beautiful woman, calling those who follow her to come away into the place of victory and achievement and success in life, while folly, or foolishness, which thinks everything it does is right in its own eyes, is personified as an evil woman---attractive, alluring, tempting us to step aside into death. It is a marvelously-beautiful poetic passage."

Copyright (C) 1995 Discovery Publishing, a ministry of Peninsula Bible Church.
    This data file is the sole property of Discovery Publishing, a ministry of Peninsula Bible Church.

and this more detailed one:

Matthew Henry Commentary on Proverbs 8Pro 8:22-31

That it is an intelligent and divine person that here speaks seems very plain, and that it is not meant of a mere essential property of the divine nature, for Wisdom here has personal properties and actions; and that intelligent divine person can be no other than the Son of God himself, to whom the principal things here spoken of wisdom are attributed in other scriptures, and we must explain scripture by itself. If Solomon himself designed only the praise of wisdom as it is an attribute of God, by which he made the world and governs it, so to recommend to men the study of that wisdom which belongs to them, yet the Spirit of God, who indited what he wrote, carried him, as David often, to such expressions as could agree to no other than the Son of God, and would lead us into the knowledge of great things concerning him. All divine revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, and here we are told who and what he is, as God, designed in the eternal counsels to be the Mediator between God and man. The best exposition of these verses we have in the first four verses of St. John’s gospel. In the beginning was the Word, etc. Concerning the Son of God observe here, I. His personality and distinct subsistence, one with the Father and of the same essence, and yet a person of himself, whom the Lord possessed (v. 22), who was set up (v. 23), was brought forth (v. 24, 25), was by him (v. 30), for he was the express image of his person, Heb. 1:3. II. His eternity; he was begotten of the Father, for the Lord possessed him, as his own Son, his beloved Son, laid him in his bosom; he was brought forth as the only-begotten of the Father, and this before all worlds, which is most largely insisted upon here. The Word was eternal, and had a being before the world, before the beginning of time; and therefore it must follow that it was from eternity. The Lord possessed him in the beginning of his way, of his eternal counsels, for those were before his works. This way indeed had no beginning, for God’s purposes in himself are eternal like himself, but God speaks to us in our own language. Wisdom explains herself (v. 23): I was set up from everlasting. The Son of God was, in the eternal counsels of God, designed and advanced to be the wisdom and power of the Father, light and life, and all in all both in the creation and in the redemption of the world. That he was brought forth as to his being, and set up as to the divine counsels concerning his office, before the world was made, is here set forth in a great variety of expressions, much the same with those by which the eternity of God himself is expressed. Ps. 90:2, Before the mountains were brought forth. 1. Before the earth was, and that was made in the beginning, before man was made; therefore the second Adam had a being before the first, for the first Adam was made of the earth, the second had a being before the earth, and therefore is not of the earth, Jn. 3:31. 2. Before the sea was (v. 24), when there were no depths in which the waters were gathered together, no fountains from which those waters might arise, none of that deep on which the Spirit of God moved for the production of the visible creation, Gen. 1:2. 3. Before the mountains were, the everlasting mountains, v. 25. Eliphaz, to convince Job of his inability to judge of the divine counsels, asks him (Job 15:7), Wast thou made before the hills? No, thou wast not. But before the hills was the eternal Word brought forth. 4. Before the habitable parts of the world, which men cultivate, and reap the profits of (v. 26), the fields in the valleys and plains, to which the mountains are as a wall, which are the highest part of the dust of the world; the first part of the dust (so some), the atoms which compose the several parts of the world; the chief or principal part of the dust, so it may be read, and understood of man, who was made of the dust of the ground and is dust, but is the principal part of the dust, dust enlivened, dust refined. The eternal Word had a being before man was made, for in him was the life of men. III. His agency in making the world. He not only had a being before the world, but he was present, not as a spectator, but as the architect, when the world was made. God silenced and humbled Job by asking him, "Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? Who hath laid the measures thereof? (Job 38:4, etc.). Wast thou that eternal Word and wisdom, who was the prime manager of that great affair? No; thou art of yesterday.’’ But here the Son of God, referring, as it should seem, to the discourse God had with Job, declares himself to have been engaged in that which Job could not pretend to be a witness of and a worker in, the creation of the world. By him God made the worlds, Eph. 3:9; Heb. 1:2; Col. 1:16. 1. When, on the first day of the creation, in the very beginning of time, God said, Let there be light, and with a word produced it, this eternal Wisdom was that almighty Word: Then I was there, when he prepared the heavens, the fountain of that light, which, whatever it is here, is there substantial. 2. He was no less active when, on the second day, he stretched out the firmament, the vast expanse, and set that as a compass upon the face of the depth (v. 27), surrounded it on all sides with that canopy, that curtain. Or it may refer to the exact order and method with which God framed all the parts of the universe, as the workman marks out his work with his line and compasses. The work in nothing varied from the plan of it formed in the eternal mind. 3. He was also employed in the third day’s work, when the waters above the heavens, were gathered together by establishing the clouds above, and those under the heavens by strengthening the fountains of the deep, which send forth those waters (v. 28), and by preserving the bounds of the sea, which is the receptacle of those waters, v. 29. This speaks much the honour of this eternal Wisdom, for by this instance God proves himself a God greatly to be feared (Jer. 5:22) that he has placed the sand for the bound of the sea, that the dry land might continue to appear above water, fit to be a habitation for man; and thus he has appointed the foundation of the earth. How able, how fit, is the Son of God to be the Saviour of the world, who was the Creator of it! IV. The infinite complacency which the Father had in him, and he in the Father (v. 30): I was by him, as one brought up with him. As by an eternal generation he was brought forth of the Father, so by an eternal counsel he was brought up with him, which intimates, not only the infinite love of the Father to the Son, who is therefore called the Son of his love (Col. 1:13), but the mutual consciousness and good understanding that were between them concerning the work of man’s redemption, which the Son was to undertake, and about which the counsel of peace was between them both, Zec. 6:13. He was alumnus patris—the Father’s pupil, as I may say, trained up from eternity for that service which in time, in the fulness of time, he was to go through with, and is therein taken under the special tuition and protection of the Father; he is my servant whom I uphold, Isa. 42:1. He did what he saw the Father do (Jn. 5:19), pleased his Father, sought his glory, did according to the commandment he received from his Father, and all this as one brought up with him. He was daily his Father’s delight (my elect, in whom my soul delighteth, says God, Isa. 43:1), and he also rejoiced always before him. This may be understood either, 1. Of the infinite delight which the persons of the blessed Trinity have in each other, wherein consists much of the happiness of the divine nature. Or, 2. Of the pleasure which the Father took in the operations of the Son, when he made the world; God saw every thing that the Son made, and, behold, it was very good, it pleased him, and therefore his Son was daily, day by day, during the six days of the creation, upon that account, his delight, Ex. 39:43. And the Son also did himself rejoice before him in the beauty and harmony of the whole creation, Ps. 104:31. Or, 3. Of the satisfaction they had in each other, with reference to the great work of man’s redemption. The Father delighted in the Son, as Mediator between him and man, was well-pleased with what he proposed (Mt. 3:17), and therefore loved him because he undertook to lay down his life for the sheep; he put a confidence in him that he would go through his work, and not fail nor fly off. The Son also rejoiced always before him, delighted to do his will (Ps. 40:8), adhered closely to his undertaking, as one that was well-satisfied in it, and, when it came to the setting to, expressed as much satisfaction in it as ever, saying, Lo, I come, to do as in the volume of the book it is written of me. V. The gracious concern he had for mankind, v. 31. Wisdom rejoiced, not so much in the rich products of the earth, or the treasures hid in the bowels of it, as in the habitable parts os it, for her delights were with the sons of men; not only in the creation of man is it spoken with a particular air of pleasure (Gen. 1:26), Let us make man, but in the redemption and salvation of man. The Son of God was ordained, before the world, to that great work, 1 Pt. 1:20. A remnant of the sons of men were given him to be brought, through his grace, to his glory, and these were those in whom his delights were. His church was the habitable part of his earth, made habitable for him, that the Lord God might dwell even among those that had been rebellious; and this he rejoiced in, in the prospect of seeing his seed. Though he foresaw all the difficulties he was to meet with in his work, the services and sufferings he was to go through, yet, because it would issue in the glory of his Father and the salvation of those sons of men that were given him, he looked forward upon it with the greatest satisfaction imaginable, in which we have all the encouragement we can desire to come to him and rely upon him for all the benefits designed us by his glorious undertaking. Pro 8:32-36 We have here the application of Wisdom’s discourse; the design and tendency of it is to bring us all into an entire subjection to the laws of religion, to make us wise and good, not to fill our heads with speculations, or our tongues with disputes, but to rectify what is amiss in our hearts and lives. In order to this, here is, I. An exhortation to hear and obey the voice of Wisdom, to attend and comply with the good instructions that the word of God gives us, and in them to discern the voice of Christ, as the sheep know the shepherd’s voice. 1. We must be diligent hearers of the word; for how can we believe in him of whom we have not heart? "Hearken unto me, O you children!’’ v. 32. "Read the word written, sit under the word preached, bless God for both, and hear him in both speaking to you.’’ Let children age, and what they hearken to then, it is likely, they will be so seasoned by as to be governed by all their days. Let Wisdom’s children justify Wisdom by hearkening to her and show themselves to be indeed her children. We must hear Wisdom’s words, (1.) Submissively, and with a willing heart (v. 33): "Hear instruction, and refuse it not, either as that which you need not or as that which you like not; it is offered you as a kindness, and it is at your peril if you refuse it.’’ Those that reject the counsel of God reject it against themselves, Lu. 7:30. "Refuse it not now, lest you should not have another offer.’’ (2.) Constantly, and with an attentive ear. We must hear Wisdom so as to watch daily at her gates, as beggars to receive an alms, as clients and patients to receive advice, and to wait as servants, with humility, and patience, and ready observance, at the posts of her doors. See here what a good house Wisdom keeps, for every day is dole-day; what a good school, for every day is lecture-day. While we have God’s works before our eyes, and his word in our hand, we may be every day hearing Wisdom, and learning instruction from her. See here what a dutiful and diligent attendance is required of all Christ’s disciples; they must watch at the gates. [1.] We must lay hold on all opportunities of getting knowledge and grace, and must get into, and keep in, a constant settled course of communion with God. [2.] We must be very humble in our attendance on divine instructions, and be glad of any place, even the meanest, so we may but be within hearing of them, as David, who would gladly be a door-keeper in the house of God. [3.] We must raise our expectations of these instructions, and hearken to them with care, and patience, and perseverance, must watch and wait, as Christ’s hearers, that hanged on him to hear him, as the word in the original is (Lu. 19:48) and (ch. 21:38) came early in the morning to hear him. 2. We must be conscientious doers of the work, for we are blessed only in our deed. It is not enough to hearken unto Wisdom’s words, but we must keep her ways (v. 32), do every thing that she prescribes, keep within the hedges of her ways, and not transgress them, keep in the tracks of her ways, proceed and persevere in them. "Hear instruction and be wise; let it be a means to make you wise in ordering your conversation.’’ What we know is known in vain if it do not make us wise, v. 33. II. An assurance of happiness to all those that do hearken to Wisdom. They are blessed, v. 32, and again v. 34. Those are blessed that watch and wait at Wisdom’s gates; even their attendance there is their happiness; it is the best place they can be in. Those are blessed that wait there, for they shall not be put to wait long; let them continue to knock awhile and it shall be opened to them. They are seeking Wisdom, and they shall find what they seek. But will it make them amends if they do find it? Yes (v. 35): Whoso finds me finds life, that is, all happiness, all that good which he needs or can desire. He finds life in that grace which is the principle of spiritual life and the pledge of eternal life. He finds life, for he shall obtain favour of the Lord, and in his favour is life. If the king’s favour is towards a wise son, much more the favour of the King of kings. Christ is Wisdom, and he that finds Christ, that obtains an interest in him, he finds life; for Christ is life to all believers. He that has the Son of God has life, eternal life, and he shall obtain favour of the Lord, who is well-pleased with all those that are in Christ; nor can we obtain God’s favour, unless we find Christ and be found in him. III. The doom passed upon all those that reject Wisdom and her proposals, v. 36. They are left to ruin themselves, and Wisdom will not hinder them, because they have set at nought all her counsel. 1. Their crime is very great; they sin against Wisdom, rebel against its light and laws, thwart its designs, and by their folly offend it. They sin against Christ; they act in contempt of his authority, and in contradiction to all the purposes of his life and death. This is construed into hating Wisdom, hating Christ; they are his enemies, who will not have him to reign over them. What can appear worse than hating him who is the centre of all beauty and fountain of all goodness, love itself? 2. Their punishment will be very just, for they wilfully bring it upon themselves. (1.) Those that offend Christ do the greatest wrong to themselves; they wrong their own souls; they wound their own consciences, bring a blot and stain upon their souls, which renders them odious in the eyes of God, and unfit for communion with him; they deceive themselves, disturb themselves, destroy themselves. Sin is a wrong to the soul. (2.) Those that are at variance with Christ are in love with their own ruin: Those that hate me love death; they love that which will be their death, and put that from them which would be their life. Sinners die because they will die, which leaves them inexcusable, makes their condemnation the more intolerable, and will for ever justify God when he judges. O Israel! thou hast destroyed thyself.

"The commentaries of the Reverend Matthew Henry have been a great blessing to the readers of the Blue Letter Bible since 1996. He was a 17th and early 18th Century minister of the Gospel in Chester, England, and died in 1714. Of the Six Volumes of this Work, four were published in his lifetime, between 1706 and 1710. The Fifth volume was completed before he died in 1714, but published shortly after his death. This included the commentaries through Acts. The remainder of the work was completed by committee (see link to Assisting Authors), and published circa 1720"

Sorry for rather long time to reply...

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

to KES152: a very interesting question:

how did it move ...the snake,BEFORE it was cursed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit