I just realized....

by Muddy Waters 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• talesin
    talesin

I think about the times, though,,, many people were religious ... I don't think "dopes" more than sincere, albeit naive, folks. The ones at the TOP, now, I blame! Nowadays, everyone gets a HS education, we have the internet, etc. Don't be too hard on yourself, Clarity.

• *lost*
    *lost*

It's ALL ABOUT POLITICS, second, religion.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Makes me sick to remember how righteous I used to feel for not knowing anything about current events. You know, trying to be as innocent as doves, just as the WTS taught and how most of us followed/swallowed it all!

• rmt1
    rmt1

JWs were permitted to have only a very broad speculation about the present state of world politics. At least in my time, they were permitted to conceive of politics only to the resolution of extremely large objects, Duplo Politics if you will: continental agreements, multinational organizations analogous to the UN, military analogues to the NATO, and storied Caucasian nations that fed the (I forget the Joseph nobody fart of old) narrative, and historical empires that usefully rotated around the lands of the bible - objects that were so general, so huge, with such a hazy outline, that the WTS spin doctors could bend most scriptures back to them in several ways. So you had JWs speculating in very broad strokes about King of North and South, beasts of Revelations, other cartoon political evils. But civics knowledge of a local kind or of any depth, or insight into a political issue with respect to economics or demographics, or identification with minute and immediately relevant platform or plank was severely frowned upon.

• Scully
    Scully

I did live in La Belle Province during the FLQ crisis. I was 7 years old. I participated in a Field Serviceā„¢ demonstration on the platform at the KH showing how to avoid the police by carrying a paper bag with some extra clothes in it, scurrying in to a public restroom and doing the old switcheroo to avoid detection.

It scared the living crap out of me. I expected the police to bang down our door and throw us all in jail. I cried myself to sleep at night, I was so terrorized.

F*ck them for robbing children of happy childhoods!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit