Welcome EastCoastMindFree, I'm sorry that you were a JW, but you have the rest of your life to enjoy, be happy, get a better education, and raise your child with morals, instead of indoctrinating them with phobias and being victimized by the WTBTS. By the way why can't you talk to your wife about your feelings if you have both been inactive for 2 years?
Do you understand the difference between teaching children how to critically think for themselves and to be make moral decisions, instead of learning to follow an exhaustive list of rules that can change with new light? Do you remember how in the Bible Jesus Christ condemned the Pharisees for burdening Jews with an exhaustive list of rules and that he promised the Our Father in Heaven would send the Holy Spirit to his followers? How is the WTBTS any different than the Pharisees?
I would recommend that you do the following to help you and your wife to overcome your WTBTS's phobias, since both of you are inactive:
- Post as much as possible on JWN to either vent your frustrations and to ask for help about specific topices. It is better to vent your frustrations on JWN then to JWs and JW apologists.
- Visit websites such as www.jwfacts.com, www.watchtowerdocuments.com, and www.jwsurvey.org, and www.freeminds2.org to name a few to research the WTBTS's history and changes in doctrines.
- Visit Steve Hassan's website www.freedomofmind.com to learn more about the BITE control techniques that the WTBTS does use and how to overcome them. If you cannot afford to purchase Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book)"Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), see if you can either checkout his books at the library or at least watch the following two videos of Steve Hassan at least twice: "Steve Hassan explains SIA method to rescue loved ones from unhealthy situations (2003)" and "Steve Hassan at NYC Ethical Culture Society February 2013.
- Make more non-JW friends that you and your wife would enjoy spending time with. By the way where do you live? If you live in the USA, I would recommend visiting sites like www.meetup.com and using an internet search browser to locate activities where you live that you might enjoy doing. If you need to talk to people face to face about your JW experiences, there are many ex-JW meetup groups across the USA that are listed on http://ex-jehovahs-witnesses.meetup.com/.
- If you wife still believes that the WTBTS has the "Truth", start asking her simple questions to help her see what the WTBTS is. Reading Steve Hassan's books and posting on JWN will help you to help your wife.
- Ask your wife to do fun things with you, to do fun things with non-JWs, and/or to learn about topics that will take a lot of time away from attending WTBTS meetings and reading WTBTS's propaganda. A very time comsuming topic to learn and one that will help you and your wife later in life is to learn about investing. If you lived in the USA, I would recommend going to the TD Ameritrade website and learn how to use ThinkorSwim to learn more about investing.
Best of wishes of you, your wife, and children fading from the WTBTS. A good start might be to start to celebrate holidays, Christmas, and Birthdays.
Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,