How About Some Old Time aRockan' Roll

by slipnslidemaster 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I admit it. I don't come here very often. Usually when I'm drunk and/or bored.

But...

This one thread just caught my eye and I would love for all of you JW wonks/historians to post more information regarding it.

It's called "Everything you always wanted to know about shunning, excommunication and disfellowship practice". Surely a wonderful thread all on it's own but there is a gem inside of the thread that got me to a'wondering:

It's TL;DR so the long and short is that Covington got screwed by Knorr over the presidency of the WTBTS. We all know the Rutherford fucked the board of directors on his way to the top so it's not a surprise that Knorr did too.

Can I get more research/posting about Knorr, Franz, Rutherford, Covington, etc and the 1940's time period?

In 1942, Rutherford was replaced by Nathan Knorr as the Society's leader.

According to Covington, it was himself who "had the votes" to become the President. But Knorr had "connived" him out of it.

An immediate clash of personalities resulted......at first UNKNOWN to Covington! Only gradually did the opposition become clear. In an interview years later, Covington refered to Knorr as "sneaky" and a "cobra" and called into question Knorr's courage because of witnessing him back down from altercations with Catholics in a public forum.

Knorr did not want Covington as his Vice-President. Rutherford insisted on his death bed that Covington be appointed. Knorr was poorly educated and Covington considered him ignorant.

Knor was rankled by Covington's superior education and attempts to influence Society policy through intimidation. Consequently, Knorr engineered a change in policy to exclude non-anointed person's (other sheep) from serving as a governing body member. By 1945, Covington was forced out.

A public relations spin was offered that Covington had "graciously declined to serve" in view of the new policy. Everyone who ever met Covington knew he NEVER backed down or withdrew!

Knorr's champion and fellow conscriptor, Fred Franz, created the new policy in order to install Franz in place of Covington.

Covington was retained as legal representative, however, attaining Supreme Court case wins in 80% of the lawsuits filed.

Knorr considered Covington's irrepressible ego to be a direct result of "higher education" and a superior attitude.

Knorr and Franz braced themselves.How could either one of them win a battle with Covington in the court of public opinion, in an actual lawsuit or otherwise? Covington ws brilliant!

Only one avenue of approach remained, where the "high ground" would be created to virtually demand all JW's worldwide to ostrasize Covington (or any other clever antagonists who challenged their authority) for Apostacy, if they could engineer grounds for disfellowshipping!

Consequently, the sudden stiffening of penalty and harshness of attitude immediately began to set the stage for an arsenal against any (even Covington) who dared take on the Governing Body!

In the above speculation, I am saying that the disfellowship policy was emboldened in reaction to percieved internal enemies, and once in place, grew stronger or weaker as threats came and went over the years.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Bonus for any MacMillan stuff...

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Just wondering, are you drunk or bored?

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I'm BOTH! I'm drunk AND bored!! However, I DO love so much the history of the dubs.

• Mum
    Mum

slipnslidemaster, were you one of the posters on H2O? I think I remember you from that old forum. Glad to see you here.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I can still post here!!

• talesin
    talesin

well, well,,, hello, you two~!

:P

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I never posted on H2O, but I was the forumrangler of Slippy's JW Chitchat for a little bit. I moderated on JWF for a while too.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I'm thinking the title might be a little misleading...

• St George of England
    St George of England

I came here looking for Chuck Berry.........................

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit