God's Word for Us Through Jeremiah - Review

by Jeffro 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

A recent thread about this week's study of the Watch Tower Society's God's Word for Us Through Jeremiah led me to decide to review how much of the Bible book of Jeremiah is actually considered in that publication.

Unlike other Watch Tower Society verse-by-verse considerations of some Bible books, their Jeremiah book instead purports to impart lessons 'for us'. Key scriptures in Jeremiah contradict JW doctrine, so a verse-by-verse approach was out of the question, probably having learned from their Daniel and Isaiah efforts that expose problems with JW interpretations.

One good feature of the Watchtower Library on CD-ROM is you can search for a scripture, then find all the search occurences for where that scripture has been cited in JW publications, which made the process much easier.

In God's Word for Us Through Jeremiah, much of the Bible book of Jeremiah is ignored altogether. In fact, less than half of the Bible book is mentioned at all, and only 16% of Jeremiah is actually quoted (including portions with the instruction to "Read" the cited verses.) This fact is 'disguised' (whether deliberately or incidentally) by jumping from chapter to chapter, considering verses out of sequence, and repeatedly citing certain verses that suit their purposes.

In the chart below, verses quoted or cited more than once are only counted once. Where a verse is quoted, but leaves off just a few words that don't affect the meaning, it is counted as fully quoted.

Unsurprisingly, Jeremiah 25:12, which indicates Babylon's judgement in 539 as being after the end of the 70 years, is not mentioned in the book at all.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Good work!

• clarity
    clarity

Wow whata nifty chart Jeffro .... looks like you did a lot of

work on this. Thanks.

clarity

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I thought it particularly funny that the only chapter (Jeremiah chapter 45) they are told to read in full - albeit only five verses - merits an entire chapter of their own book. Apparently too many JWs are "seeking great things". Like 'higher education'. Or thinking they're 'anointed'.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

clarity:

Wow whata nifty chart Jeffro .... looks like you did a lot of work on this.

Thanks.

I did a lot of counting.

Excel did the adding up and the pretty colours.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Jeffro: For a guy that says Revelation has no relivance for us today, you sure have gone though a lot of trouble posting this non relivant item for us. Either you beleive the bible or not you cannot have it both ways!!! Either it all has relevance or none of it has relevance!! The book of Jeremiah is ancient history and has no bearing for us today! These are your words not mine.

The next time you wish to blast someone for useing a scripture in Revelation, think twice. Dude.

Brother of the Hawk ( I will surrender my mind no more, forever)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Brother of the Hawk:

Either you beleive the bible or not you cannot have it both ways!!!

Ah, that old cliche. That conclusion, of course, relies on the magical belief that 'the Bible' must be all true or all false.

'The Bible' is a collection of a bunch of books written (and subsequently edited) by different people over a long period of time that were arbitrarily selected by some dead guys from the 4th century as 'inspired' (whatever that means) to the exclusion of a bunch of other books.

Back in reality, parts of 'the Bible' relate to actual history and others don't. Those that do are heavily influenced by the political and theological beliefs of the writers.

However, the purpose of this thread was not to claim that everything in Jeremiah necessarily happened as stated, but that the Watch Tower Society publication about the Bible book doesn't cover the entire book.

The next time you wish to blast someone for useing a scripture in Revelation, think twice. Dude.

Even parts of Revelation relate to actual history, albeit abstractly. However, it was about the Jewish Christians' view of the Romans, and not about anything now. Dude.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Exactly Jeffro. If you had read that other thread carefully you would have seen and understood the question. It is not the U.N. that destroys Babylon the Great, all I did was refer to a scripture that shows it's God who destroys Babylon the Great. ( In contrast to what Watchtower teaches) I find if very funny when people pick and choose what they want to, to make themselves out to be smarter than other people. This wont work with me. Again, Jeremiah has no bearing for us today, no matter who influenced its writing.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Brother of the Hawk:

all I did was refer to a scripture that shows it's God who destroys Babylon the Great

Hmmm... that's quite a change from:

Either you beleive the bible or not you cannot have it both ways!!!

Oh well, whatever works for you.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Great work as always Jeffro. You have more patience and skill than I do. :)

it is funny they leave out the chapter regarding the 70 yrs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit