Watchtower leaders imprisoned! Details prove fascinating...

by Terry 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quendi
    Quendi

Here’s a fact that most people do not know. Of the seven board members who went to prison on 4 July 1918, five eventually left the Bible Students! That’s something the WTS never talks about. Only Rutherford and van Amburgh stayed on. The others grew disenchanted with matters and disassociated themselves. I don’t know what their reasons were but they were probably legitimate ones which the WTS does not want to mention or discuss.

Quendi

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Macmillan died "faithful." He stayed in our house a time or two. He never left the Watchtower. C. J. Woodworth remained a witness all his life. He was a very odd and very talented man. Also sentenced, but not a director was Giovanni De Cecca. He remained a witness until his death. He had an unexpected sense of humor. Robert Martin remained a witness until his death in 1932. He was Knorr's predicessor as Factory Manager.

F. W. Robison switched to universalism and associated with the Unsearchable Riches group.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for the correction, Old Goat.

Quendi

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Hello,

I read the passages which say that Rutherfords and Russels say, that they were not against military service in general

and that WT always tried to fulfill the "cecar's" duties, but i dont understand exactly why they were imprisoned, was

it the behaviour of Rutherford, his public talkings or was it the books or the magazines which could not be altered anymore?

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

At back of the trial was clergy opposition. The American Protective League formed to oppose "subversion". In Chicago a Polish Catholic woman took a Watch Tower publication to her bishop who promptly wrote to the US AG. The APL, largely catholic in that part of the country, added its voice. The ban in Canada and in the US was payback time on the part of the clergy.

The Canadian archives on this are open. You can read the letters from clergy. The US archives are nominally open, but it is impossible to get any meaningful material from them. You can, however, find articles in various contemporary magazines and newspapers where the clergy vent and exult. Read Preacher's Present Arms. It will give you a starting point here.

• Terry
    Terry

Picking fights with fellow Christians, especially Catholics, never seemed to me to be ver smart. There is a way to

inform your dear brother in Christ that he may be in error without heaping scathing abuse.

I think the Witnesses got too confrontational and the blowback was merely reciprocal.

In modern parlance, they were "asking for it." This doesn't apply, however, to the truly despicable baiting done by Rutherford that

got bros. and sister's physically harmed. No excuse for that.

• Terry
    Terry

I would love to hear a first hand autobiography from Old Goat because it sounds like we could discover many hidden treasures

only a first hand telling could bestow. What do you say?

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Terry I still want an autograghed copy of your book I'll pay double for it in Canada.

• TD
    TD

but i dont understand exactly why they were imprisoned

I have a copy of the court transcript. It's been awhile since I read it, but I always thought that it boiled down to a handful of pages in the book, The Finished Mystery.

These pages were removed from subquent printings and torn out by hand in existing stock.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry I still want an autograghed copy of your book I'll pay double for it in Canada.

Really, double? Why? I guess for that price it would be best to read it twice :)

I'm still editing and editing and editing about 16 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. Right now I'm going back and correcting some misinformation

I had found that appeared to be from reliable sources.

I'm looking at documents now instead of what people SAY the documents said. Anyway, it will be another 3 weeks before I'm done.

Thanks for the kind wishes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit