Look at this ...

by Old Goat 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

One of the authors of the soon to be published history of the watch tower's early years posted a small part of it in "rough draft." Take a look http://truthhistory.blogspot.com/

If you like their work (I think its superior, even in rough draft), give them some encouragement.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Where are the footnotes?

Is this guy still a Witness?

Is he going to look for a publisher or self-publish?

It looks good by the way. I enjoyed his book on Barbour very much: impressive detailed research, and writing flowed quite well, for such an arcane topic.

• cofty
    cofty

Marking. Thank you.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I don't know where the footnotes are. When they post on their private blog they always include them. I think they were lost in the formatting. She mentions formatting problems. Schulz is a very long-term Witness, apparently from the early 1950s. He teaches history and literature. Dr. de Vienne was never a Witness. As she expressed it somewhere, she raises children and goats and teaches gifted students. I think they intend to self-publish.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Raising children and goats, good lord! Together with an old-school dyed-in-the-wool JW? What bedfellows! I remember looking at her fiction, quite un-Witness like.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

As I understand it, they are blood relations. I read and enjoyed her little novel. I wish she'd write another.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Maybe she cleans up his prose and offers advice on style.

It's somehow hard to believe that a non-Witness who writes such fiction could also sustain a serious interest in something as tedious as early Bible Student history. But maybe that's just my lack of imagination.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I've emailed her a few times. Her mom was a witness. Her master's thesis was on the witnesses. I haven't read it. I asked if she would share it and she ignored my request. Her personal blog can be funny, sometimes edgy.

I don't think Mr. Schulz needs much help with prose. On de Vienne's personal blog she said he'd been a newspaper editor back in the 1960s. I don't know for which paper. I worked with him ages ago at conventions. He was a newservice guy for a while. He had a very dry wit. We were both much, much younger then.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting, thanks.

I wonder what his Witness friends make of his work. Probably largely a mixture of indifference and disdain, with a few select appeciative readers. Ironic that ex-Witnesses are likely to be his most receptive audience.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I don't know how they react. I keep a low profile on their private blog. I don't want to be kicked off. They do have a witness following, including a really articulate blog contributor. He goes by the name Jerome. Obviously a long-time witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit