Benjamin Crump: Dishonest hypocritical opportunist race-baiter?

by Simon 30 Replies latest members politics

• designs
    designs

But ol Limbaugh and his croonies are all right huh?

• Simon
    Simon

His critics describe him as "a political radical who is to blame, in part, for the deterioration of race relations". Sociologist Orlando Patterson has referred to him as a racial arsonist

I think it's a good description or Sharpton. Seems some others are lining up to take his place.

He's a racist and riles people up. He is not helping the ethnicity he claims to represent.

Sad that people listen to people like him instead of sensible moderates like Bill Cosby.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

What an aweful thing...so let's interfere with, and pervert justice just to make sure 'Limbaugh and his croonies' are wrong is that what your trying to convey with your comment?

• Simon
    Simon

Hardly!

Rush Limbaugh is just the flip side of Sharpton. I hate them all. If there were a 'purge' I wouldn't feel bad shutting my door on either of them.

• designs
    designs

Thanks for finally bringing up that comparison.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

There was an article that I read about Trayvon Martins step mother - not Fulton - but Martins step mother who gave an interview on CNN - Tracy Martins 2nd wife who raised Trayvon Martin for most of his life. She seemed to really care about him - a very interesting article that closes some links and puts forth a very good circle about why and how things ended as they have and how opportunity presents itself for many people to cash in on in one way or another.

Thomas Sowell wrote a very interesting piece about this - I generally don't like many conservative writers but I respect him trying to make some sense of so many things - sammieswife

Who Is Racist?

Thomas Sowell | Jul 09, 2013 Thomas Sowell

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

Apparently other Americans also recognize that the sources of racism are different today from what they were in the past. According to a recent Rasmussen poll, 31 percent of blacks think that most blacks are racists, while 24 percent of blacks think that most whites are racist.

The difference between these percentages is not great, but it is remarkable nevertheless. After all, generations of blacks fought the white racism from which they suffered for so long. If many blacks themselves now think that most other blacks are racist, that is startling.

The moral claims advanced by generations of black leaders -- claims that eventually touched the conscience of the nation and turned the tide toward civil rights for all -- have now been cheapened by today's generation of black "leaders," who act as if it is all just a matter of whose ox is gored.

Even in legal cases involving terrible crimes -- the O.J. Simpson murder trial or the charges of gang rape against Duke University students -- many black "leaders" and their followers have not waited for facts about who was guilty and who was not, but have immediately taken sides, based on who was black and who was white.

Among whites, according to the same Rasmussen poll, 38 percent consider most blacks racist and 10 percent consider most whites racist.

Broken down by politics, the same poll showed that 49 percent of Republicans consider most blacks racist, as do 36 percent of independents and 29 percent of Democrats.

Perhaps most disturbing of all, just 29 percent of Americans as a whole think race relations are getting better, while 32 percent think race relations are getting worse. The difference is too close to call, but the fact that it is so close is itself painful -- and perhaps a warning sign for where we are heading.

Is this what so many Americans, both black and white, struggled for, over the decades and generations, to try to put the curse of racism behind us -- only to reach a point where retrogression in race relations now seems at least equally likely as progress?

What went wrong? Perhaps no single factor can be blamed for all the things that went wrong. Insurgent movements of all sorts, in countries around the world, have for centuries soured in the aftermath of their own success. "The revolution betrayed" is a theme that goes back at least as far as 18th century France.

The civil rights movement in 20th century America attracted many people who put everything on the line for the sake of fighting against racial oppression. But the eventual success of that movement attracted opportunists, and even turned some idealists into opportunists.

Over the generations, black leaders have ranged from noble souls to shameless charlatans. After the success of the civil rights insurgency, the latter have come into their own, gaining money, power and fame by promoting racial attitudes and actions that are counterproductive to the interests of those they lead.

None of this is unique to blacks or to the United States. In various countries and times, leaders of groups that lagged behind, economically and educationally, have taught their followers to blame all their problems on other people -- and to hate those other people.

This was the history of anti-Semitic movements in Eastern Europe between the two World Wars, anti-Ibo movements in Nigeria in the 1960s, and anti-Tamil movements that turned Sri Lanka from a peaceful nation into a scene of lethal mob violence and then decades-long civil war, both marked by unspeakable atrocities.

Groups that rose from poverty to prosperity seldom did so by having racial or ethnic leaders. While most Americans can easily name a number of black leaders, current or past, how many can name Asian American ethnic leaders or Jewish ethnic leaders?

The time is long overdue to stop looking for progress through racial or ethnic leaders. Such leaders have too many incentives to promote polarizing attitudes and actions that are counterproductive for minorities and disastrous for the country.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Golly Designs, you sure do like infer things don't you? If I say "this" you say "that" and vice versa.

Well, I tell ya what, how about I infer you're a f***ing idiot? Hell, instead of infering it, how about I just say it? Ooop, guess I already did.

• Simon
    Simon

I think that article makes a lot of sense. The current crop of 'leaders' don't seem to lead as much as cheer people on and the snap presumption of guilt or innocence is what their predecessors faught and bled to abolish.

They are destroying the communities they claim to represent.

• Simon
    Simon

Wow ... he thinks Treyvon Martin should be remembered alongside Medgar Evers.

Way to cheapen the legacy of a great civil rights activist.

TM should not be turned into something he wasn't but remembered for precisely what he was and exactly what he did.

Maybe someone else will avoid following a similar path.

The NAACP statement ... what are those dummies on?!?! It's like they are flushing previous civil rights achivements down the toilet.

• Simon
    Simon

Only A Pawn In Their Game by Bob Dylan

A bullet from the back of a bush took Medgar Evers’ blood
    A finger fired the trigger to his name
    A handle hid out in the dark
    A hand set the spark
    Two eyes took the aim
    Behind a man’s brain
    But he can’t be blamed
    He’s only a pawn in their game

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
    “You got more than the blacks, don’t complain.
    You’re better than them, you been born with white skin,” they explain.
    And the Negro’s name
    Is used it is plain
    For the politician’s gain
    As he rises to fame
    And the poor white remains
    On the caboose of the train
    But it ain’t him to blame
    He’s only a pawn in their game

The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
    And the marshals and cops get the same
    But the poor white man’s used in the hands of them all like a tool
    He’s taught in his school