I found something in Watchtower literature I can agree with.

by Indian Larry 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I ran across this excerpt from Studies in the Scriptures Vol IV. In it Russell rails on as to why you should not tie youreself to any organization. In a way he unknowingly predicts how the Watchtower would turn against real "truth seekers" in their own organization, (quite possible the only prediction he ever got correct) and then goes on to show how the deluded Witness just can't see how they can have a relationship with Christ without a earthly organization.

Surely all know that whenever they join any of these human organizations, accepting its Confession of Faith as theirs, they bind themselves to believe neither more nor less than that creed expresses on the subject. If, in spite of the bondage thus voluntarily yielded to, they should think for themselves, and receive light from other sources, in advance of the light enjoyed by the sect they have joined, they must either prove untrue to the sect and to their covenant with it, to believe nothing contrary to its Confession, or else they must honestly cast aside and repudiate the Confession which they have outgrown, and come out of such a sect.

To do this requires grace and costs some effort, disrupting, as it often does, pleasant associations, and exposing the honest truth-seeker to the silly charges of being a “traitor” to his sect, a “turncoat,” one “not established,” etc. When one joins a sect, his mind is supposed to be given up entirely to that sect, and henceforth not his own. The sect undertakes to decide for him what is truth and what is error; and he, to be a true, staunch, faithful member, must accept the decisions of his sect, future as well as past, on all religious matters, ignoring his own individual thought, and avoiding personal investigation, lest he grow in knowledge, and be lost as a member of such sect. This slavery of conscience to a sect and creed is often stated in so many words, when such a one declares that he “belongs” to such a sect.

These shackles of sectarianism, so far from being rightly esteemed as shackles and bonds, are esteemed and worn as ornaments, as badges of respect and marks of character. So far has the delusion gone, that many of God’s children would be ashamed to be known to be without some such chains—light or heavy in weight, long or short in the personal liberty granted. They are ashamed to say that they are not in bondage to any sect or creed, but “belong” to Christ only.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Nice find. That is a great big pile of irony.

• Freedom4all
    Freedom4all

Irony indeed.

BTW....It's not in Vol 4 but in Vol 3 pp 184-185 Thy Kingdom Come

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Good quote.

It continues on p. 186-7 (in the 1919 edition too!),

The feeling of uneasiness and insecurity, if not bound by the chains of some sect, is general. It is begotten of the false idea, first promulgated by Papacy, that membership in an earthly organization is essential, pleasing to the Lord and necessary to everlasting life. These earthly, humanly organized systems, so different from the simple, unfettered associations of the days of the apostles, are viewed involuntarily and almost unconsciously by Christian people as so many Heaven Insurance Companies, to some one of which money, time, respect, etc., must be paid regularly, to secure heavenly rest and peace after death. Acting on this false idea, people are almost as nervously anxious to be bound by another sect, if they step out of one, as they are if their policy of insurance has expired, to have it renewed in some respectable company.

But no earthly organization can grant a passport to heavenly glory. The most bigoted sectarian (aside from the Romanist) will not claim, even, that membership in his sect will secure heavenly glory. All are forced to admit that the true Church is the one whose record is kept in heaven, and not on earth. They deceive the people by claiming that it is needful to come to Christ through them, — needful to become members of some sectarian body in order to become members of "the body of Christ," the true Church. On the contrary, the Lord, while he has not refused any who came to him through sectarianism, and has turned no true seeker away empty, tells us that we need no such hindrances, but could much better have come to him direct. He cries, "Come unto me ;" "take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;" "my yoke is easy and my burden is light, and ye shall find rest to your souls." Would that we had given heed to his voice sooner. We would have avoided many of the heavy burdens of sectism, many of its bogs of despair, many of its doubting castles, its vanity fairs, its lions of worldly-mindedness, etc.

• besty
    besty

cracking find

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Yeah but the WT got new light so Russell was full of crap. Oh wait, he founded the religion? And the WT says that when we are deciding to celebrate holidays or join religions we should look at the origin of the religion? *HEAD EXPLODES*

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yeah but the WT got new light so Russell was full of crap. Oh wait, he founded the religion?

But the New Light in the July 15 WT throws Chuck under the bus. No longer any connection with/to the F&DS. Just another Bible thumper with goofy ideas about pyramids.

Doc

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Volume 3, eh? I will liberate that book from my KH if I can. Thanks, bro!

I had a Brother ask me what I thought the motivation was for the nu-light. I just shrugged, since I doubted he could be trusted with my real feelings at the time. These quotes are a pretty good answer for why Chuck was thrown under the bus. Sure he thought the Leviathan was a steam train, but he wouldn't DF you if you didn't agree with him. His correct view about oganizations is far more dangerous to the WTBTS than any of his goofy mistakes.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The whole series can be found here, as well as many others

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Studies in the Scriptures is probably considered 'apostate literature' now anyway.

DesirousOfChange:

But the New Light in the July 15 WT throws Chuck under the bus. No longer any connection with/to the F&DS. Just another Bible thumper with goofy ideas about pyramids.

Pity they're still stuck with that nutter, Rutherford.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit